Need a crash course: Aruba

minniebeth

DIS Veteran
I'm all about the planning and the research...
I know there is a lot of info online, but love to hear all your experienced knowledge...

Staying in Oranjestad, I know it's more commercial~

How is going through customs?
US dollars/cash? Florins? Would rather not used credit card for every purchase.
Restaurant recommendations?
Things to do?
Fun souvenir purchases?

Any tips, help, ideas or suggestions appreciated!
TIA! :)

We have been going to Aruba over Labor Day weekend for the past 6 years. Really like it.

Clearing customs is easy, we typically do carryon only, and have rarely spent more than 10-15 minutes getting out of the airport. We do not rent a car, so we exit the airport, get in line for a taxi, and head to our hotel. Leaving Aruba it has taken us as long as 90 minutes to get through customs/immigration, and as short as 20 minutes. It depends on day of the week/time of year, etc.

US dollars accepted EVERYWHERE we have ever been. You may get change (coins only) in Florin, but US Dollars are fine.

We enjoy Gianni's, Salt and Pepper, Moomba Beach Bar, El Faro Blanco

We don't really do much. Basically it's a park our butts on the beach for 4 days type of vacation. That being said, we usually do one snorkeling trip, and we have gone with Blue Melody sailing the past few years. They only take 24 ppl per trip, have an open bar, but it's a very chill, relaxed vibe, and at the end of the trip you will be treated to the very best grilled cheese sandwich you've ever had. It's a sunset cruise, so that's a bonus as well.

We are not big souvenir people, so no help there. Sorry.

Last edited:
I've been to Aruba just once. No problems I remember getting through the airport coming into Aruba. However, if you don't already know - when you depart Aruba, the US has an agreement with Aruba to clear US customs in Aruba instead of at your home airport, so make sure you leave enough time to get to the (Aruba) airport to do so.

I've liked the Aruba Aloe products I've tried, although you could just order them here rather than drag it all home with you. There's a lot of good Dutch stuff too, one namely being Stroopwafel!

We did not drive while there, but it looked easy enough unlike some other places. I would feel comfortable driving myself there.

Thanks so much for your replies, debster812 and shirikiutundu!

and low-key... yeah, I know... it seems like you can't go there without thinking about Natalie Holloway! Still heartbreaking...

I didn't get a chance to reply before we left but I read and appreciate your thoughts!
We went on a company trip so we didn't get to choose the destination or the resort we stayed at.
We enjoyed our stay, the people are very warm and friendly. The food was good and it was easy to navigate through everything.
We did a snorkeling/catamaran excursion which was great and our favorite restaurant was The Flying Fishbone~ food and service was good but AMAZING for atmosphere and setting.
We spent each day at Renaissance Island with the flamingos and the iguanas. Very fun and very nice.
Shopping was pretty good~ we took advantage of no tax and bought some nice gifts. I did some damage in the Aruba Aloe store even though you can order online.
LOVE the suggestion of the stroopwaffels! My DD has been obsessed with them since we flew this summer and that was the snack they gave out. I got her a nice Dutch tin of them.
It took us 90 minutes to get through both Aruban and US Customs going home, but we had plenty of time so it was fine. I'd rather do it that way than doing it again in the US.

The highlight of our trip (yes, seriously!) was seeing the Disney Wonder in port while we were there. We sailed on the Wonder this past summer in Alaska. :love:

Thanks again! :flower3:

So glad you had a good time! My parents bought a timeshare there nearly 30 years ago and have been going ever since. It has grown significantly but the Aruban people are still wonderful and it's like a home away from home for our family. I hope you go back :)

So glad you had a good time! My parents bought a timeshare there nearly 30 years ago and have been going ever since. It has grown significantly but the Aruban people are still wonderful and it's like a home away from home for our family. I hope you go back :)

My DH and I talked about going back... it seems like a place that people fall in love with and go year after year. I can see why!
I was there years ago as a stop on a cruise but I think people miss the true culture, history and feel of the people when you get a limited time.
This was a business trip, believe it or not, so it wouldn't have been my choice of places to go. But now that we've been, we will definitely keep it on the list of places to go back to!

Oooh! Flying Fishbone was my favorite restaurant too! So far from our hotel, so I actually almost cancelled our reservation but I'm so glad I didn't, best restaurant of the trip for sure! Can't wait to go back again!

Oooh! Flying Fishbone was my favorite restaurant too! So far from our hotel, so I actually almost cancelled our reservation but I'm so glad I didn't, best restaurant of the trip for sure! Can't wait to go back again!

One person in our group organized the dinner. I Googled it before we went, so I knew what to expect. Everyone else was like, "WHERE are we going??!!" (It did look like a neighborhood lol) It's crazy how the minute you walk through the entrance, it transforms you into another world. SO GORGEOUS! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!