Need advice: cooking a tri-tip in a roaster oven

disneyhand

DIS Veteran
I'm feeding a large crowd tomorrow and we're having tri-tip sandwiches. I have a 16 lb tri-tip and was thinking it would be great to cook it in my roaster.

I have googled it and can't seem to find how long to cook it and at what temp. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

My red & white checked cookbook (Better Homes & Gardens?) says to cook it at 325° and for a 6-8 lb tri tip, it says 3-4½ hours. I've usually figured about 20-25 minute a pound for tri tip but I've never cooked one that large.

What time should I be there for sandwiches? :rotfl2:

My red & white checked cookbook (Better Homes & Gardens?) says to cook it at 325° and for a 6-8 lb tri tip, it says 3-4½ hours. I've usually figured about 20-25 minute a pound for tri tip but I've never cooked one that large.

What time should I be there for sandwiches? :rotfl2:

Well if you're only coming for sandwiches, 2:00, but come early if you want appetizers too!

Thanks for the info!

I'd just treat it like any other roast beef recipe.

I was just curious if it cooks different in an electric roaster vs the oven? I guess I wasn't very clear, sorry. I've done many average size tri-tips on the bbq or in the crock pot, but I don't want to make a mistake with such a big hunk of meat, while trying to feed a crowd. Thanks!

I was just curious if it cooks different in an electric roaster vs the oven? I guess I wasn't very clear, sorry. I've done many average size tri-tips on the bbq or in the crock pot, but I don't want to make a mistake with such a big hunk of meat, while trying to feed a crowd. Thanks!

Gotcha, I just figured maybe you were having issues finding an oven recipe specific to tri-tip since I know you Californians usually like to grill 'em over red oak coals :)

Are you sure you read that right? Tri tips are maybe 5 pounds tops untrimmed.

Just get it up to 130 F internal temp and let it rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

It will cook different in the roaster. It will not brown the same. Try browning the meat first and maybe even use a browning agent (I can't remember what its called - my friend uses one when she uses her roaster for meats). It will work fine - just cook a little different

Are you sure you read that right? Tri tips are maybe 5 pounds tops untrimmed.

Just get it up to 130 F internal temp and let it rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.

It's a giant vacumn sealed package. It is a total of almost 16 lbs, but I'm not sure how many "pieces" it is in.
Thanks!

It will cook different in the roaster. It will not brown the same. Try browning the meat first and maybe even use a browning agent (I can't remember what its called - my friend uses one when she uses her roaster for meats). It will work fine - just cook a little different

Is it Kitchen Bouquet for the browning?

I made a 4 pounder a couple weeks ago in my crockpot that was delicious. Just seasoned it and put it in the pot with a jar of bbq sauce. Cooked it on low maybe 6hrs, pulled it apart and it made great sandwiches.

So I want to replicate that tomorrow for our party, but with my electric roaster instead of the crock pot. The difference between the two is in the crockpot I have 2 high, 2 low and 1 warm options and the roaster just has degrees like a regular oven. I was having a hard time figuring out how long and at what temp to cook this much meat.

Thanks!

Is it Kitchen Bouquet for the browning?

I made a 4 pounder a couple weeks ago in my crockpot that was delicious. Just seasoned it and put it in the pot with a jar of bbq sauce. Cooked it on low maybe 6hrs, pulled it apart and it made great sandwiches.

So I want to replicate that tomorrow for our party, but with my electric roaster instead of the crock pot. The difference between the two is in the crockpot I have 2 high, 2 low and 1 warm options and the roaster just has degrees like a regular oven. I was having a hard time figuring out how long and at what temp to cook this much meat.

Thanks!

Yes - it is Kitchen Bouquet. But if you are trying to make something like BBQed beef I wouldn't use that, only if you are going to slice it. I'm not sure if the roaster will work like a crock pot or not?

Cross your fingers for me!

I just started it and it's in six separate hunks. So I layered it in the pan, threw on some spice s and bbq sauce and set it between 300 and 325. I'll just keep a close watch now!

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cross your fingers for me!

I just started it and it's in six separate hunks. So I layered it in the pan, threw on some spice s and bbq sauce and set it between 300 and 325. I'll just keep a close watch now!

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it turns out.

...How did it turn out?? I’m wanting to do the same thing for 20-30 people.
Thank you!

Oops, I'm sorry I never came back to update this thread. I remember it turned out well, but can't recall any other details. Thanks for all the advice though

OOOOOO A zombie thread.

4 of 10 zombies thought brains were better than 7 year old tri tip jerky.
3 out of 10 zombies said it takes 8 years for tri tip jerky to come into its own.
2 out of 10 zombies said no way, think of where that tri tip has been.
1 zombie said we'd make good jerky.
So we ended the survey quickly and threw jack links at em. We were gonners until sasquatch cleaned house.

I guess it's true. You either run with Sasquatch, or run from Sasquatch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!