Need Advice for park strategy with NO FP

Mary2e

DIS Veteran
We've been to WDW many, many times. This trip, we are going with nothing. No tickets, no fastpasses. We have a 16 month old dog we're taking for the first time and don't know if, when, or for how long we can leave him. We do NOT want to kennel him.

We rented an RV to be set up for us at FW. For those who are animal lovers - the RV is large, air-conditioned, and we have purchased a camera to monitor him (even if he barks) AND the temperature in the RV in case the power goes out for some reason. The reason for the RV is so that it eventually becomes a familiar place for him and he's not uncomfortable being left there alone.

Anyway, we do plan on trying to get into a park for a few days. We usually only go for a few hours at a time, get on our fast pass rides, walk around, perhaps have lunch, and go back to our resort. We usually go back at night. We will arrive on a Saturday and don't plan on trying to leave him for more than 30 minutes at least 2-3 days.

Any thoughts on how we can try to get on our favorite rides? Of course, those are the most popular ones and never have any FPs available :) We are going soon, and even if I purchased 2 days tickets, we probably couldn't get FPs anyway.

We'd like to go to the MK, and perhaps EC, though trying to get into Avatar sounds tempting, but difficult. I looked at paying for early/late access, but none are available during our dates.

Any strategies you think we could use?

Early morning or evening hours, or try to get same day FP in the park while others are moving their FP around. This might be good for your particular situation. If Disney offers morning or evening EMH you can use them to your advantage.

There’s still plenty of FP availability as early as next week, so I would purchase tickets and make some selections. Is there a reason you don’t want to get FPs?

even if I purchased 2 days tickets, we probably couldn't get FPs anyway.

Not true, people cancel fast passes all the time. The only same day fast pass I have yet to get is Flight of Passage, although others have reported luck. Google "refresh strategy" or go to the fast pass thread on this forum. Same day and night before fast passes are possible just need to be diligent. Of course, you can always rope drop or get in line last of the night but not sure how that fits into a holiday with man's best friend...

There’s still plenty of FP availability as early as next week, so I would purchase tickets and make some selections. Is there a reason you don’t want to get FPs?
It's not that I don't want to get them, I don't know when/if we'll be able to go to a park because of the dog. I hate to spend that kind of money for tickets only to enter a park and get notified he's barking up a storm because we left. He's still young.

Not true, people cancel fast passes all the time. The only same day fast pass I have yet to get is Flight of Passage, although others have reported luck. Google "refresh strategy" or go to the fast pass thread on this forum. Same day and night before fast passes are possible just need to be diligent. Of course, you can always rope drop or get in line last of the night but not sure how that fits into a holiday with man's best friend...
This gives me some hope :)

I was thinking of buying 2 single day tickets and getting fastpasses for each day we're hoping to get into a park. Maybe Tues & Thurs???

Rope drop, refresh method, or going right before close to whatever you want to ride are you main options then. I'd recommend reading up on the refresh method here on the boards first (the smaller your party the higher chance you have to snag same day FP's). If you want FoP and NRJ, you can do both at rope drop, but need to be at AK about an hour before opening to do those 2.

Is your dog going to be kennel trained? Meaning, trained to a kennel inside your own home? If so, can you bring the kennel with you to WL to use while staying there? Other things I would do; bring toys specifically that the dog bonds to or likes, and also leave a t-shirt with your scent on it in the kennel, on their bed, or wherever you want them to settle. Also, maybe post in the Camping subforum and ask for advice there as well.

Rope drop, refresh method, or going right before close to whatever you want to ride are you main options then. I'd recommend reading up on the refresh method here on the boards first (the smaller your party the higher chance you have to snag same day FP's). If you want FoP and NRJ, you can do both at rope drop, but need to be at AK about an hour before opening to do those 2.

Is your dog going to be kennel trained? Meaning, trained to a kennel inside your own home? If so, can you bring the kennel with you to WL to use while staying there? Other things I would do; bring toys specifically that the dog bonds to or likes, and also leave a t-shirt with your scent on it in the kennel, on their bed, or wherever you want them to settle. Also, maybe post in the Camping subforum and ask for advice there as well.
Thanks, I'll have to look into those other methods.

Our dog is not kennel trained. He does not like being confined. We've tried everything from a crate, to a playpen, to confining him to one area. He jumps like crazy and tears at whatever is holding him back. Luckily, he came from the breeder paper & outdoor trained, so messing has not been a real issue. We do plan on leaving him my slippers and some dirty t-shirts. We have an entire case full of familiar things we'll be bringing. At worse, we will have children's benadryl, which our vet suggested when we flew with him last month (he hated the carrier too) and if he can't handle it, we will just give him a dose so he remains calmer. He didn't have any ill effects after our flights.

I had great luck with same day FP this weekend. Yesterday I got Soarin and today I got Flight of Passage and Frozen. We arrived at AK this morning, rode Everest standby and Safari with a FP, walked the trails, saw Lion King, and were going to leave at 12:30 but I tried one more time to get Avatar and a 2:35 time popped up (also 2:55 and 3:15). So we had a drink and snack in the Nomad Lounge and while there I got a FP for Frozen this evening. There were also some same day Test Track and Soarin available today.

I had only made 2 FP today initially which is why I could get an Epcot one after we used the first. I modified my original Everest FP to the Avatar one.

We were at AK in January (on marathon day) at 7:45 for a 9:00 opening and the park actually opened at 8:15. We had ridden FOP, NRJ, and EE by 10:30 with no FP.

I did a last minute trip 2 weeks ago with my son. I booked a few fp (because we have APs), but most of the big rides weren't available. I was able to modify everything day of--I got Slinky Dog, Toy Story, FOP, Test Track, Soarin. I didn't try for much at MK because we were going to Moonlight Magic and I knew we would ride everything then. For 2 people, it really is easy. I've done it with my family of 5, but it is a bigger challenge.

We've been to WDW many, many times. This trip, we are going with nothing. No tickets, no fastpasses. We have a 16 month old dog we're taking for the first time and don't know if, when, or for how long we can leave him. We do NOT want to kennel him.

We rented an RV to be set up for us at FW. For those who are animal lovers - the RV is large, air-conditioned, and we have purchased a camera to monitor him (even if he barks) AND the temperature in the RV in case the power goes out for some reason. The reason for the RV is so that it eventually becomes a familiar place for him and he's not uncomfortable being left there alone.

Anyway, we do plan on trying to get into a park for a few days. We usually only go for a few hours at a time, get on our fast pass rides, walk around, perhaps have lunch, and go back to our resort. We usually go back at night. We will arrive on a Saturday and don't plan on trying to leave him for more than 30 minutes at least 2-3 days.

Any thoughts on how we can try to get on our favorite rides? Of course, those are the most popular ones and never have any FPs available :) We are going soon, and even if I purchased 2 days tickets, we probably couldn't get FPs anyway.

We'd like to go to the MK, and perhaps EC, though trying to get into Avatar sounds tempting, but difficult. I looked at paying for early/late access, but none are available during our dates.

Any strategies you think we could use?

The best strategy is to board the dog or wait until you know it can be left alone with no issues.

You are not going to enjoy yourself at the parks if you are worried about your pet. If you are deep inside a park somewhere, like Animal Kingdom, it might take 2 hours to get back to your pet. Would that be a concern for you? Would you be stressed if he is barking and it would take that long to get back to him?

If you must bring the dog, I would see how long you can leave him alone at home to get a feel for what kind of time limits you would face.

Perhaps one person can go to the parks while the other dog-sits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter