• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need advice on painting ceramic tiles in a kitchen

disneyfan.uk

Earning My Ears
I'm not sure if I need to post on this board or the CB but I wonder if anyone can help me?

We are currently in the process of buying our first house and I am trying to get on idea on how I can re-decorate as cheaply as possible. I want to start on our kitchen as it is the smallest room.

The whole house seem to be in a 'bottle green' color and I was wondering if anyone knows if you are able to paint tiles?

I want to paint the kitchen walls a nice shade of lemon but the tiles will still be in this dark green ( and will look out of place). I wanted to paint them either a lighter shade of lemon or another light colour but was wondering if this can be done if the tiles are so dark?

What do painted tiles look like - do they look really stupid? And how do you get the white cerment back between the tiles once you have painted them.

Sorry for so many questions, but I am having real trouble finding any info on the net!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

you can definitely paint tiles - I just noticed you are in the UK, they do it all the time on changing rooms!
I think you need a special primer to get the paint to stick to the tiles.

to get the grout white again, you can get a grout whitening pen, which is just like a marker that you draw white lines with.

I found this on the bbc website

Revamping Tiles
Tiles are one of the most popular and practical materials for
decorating bathrooms and kitchens. However, it can be very
expensive to tile a whole room. Here are some tips for giving old
tiles a new lease of life.

Quick and Cheap Face-Lift
- Brown, shabby and dated tiles are given a new look with primer
and a grout pen.
- Paint a water-based universal primer by Paint Magic
(£11.75/750ml) over the tiles to give a new colour.
- Redefine grout lines and borders with a grey grout pen (£5.99,
Homebase). Most DIY stores have a wide choice of coloured grouts
to choose from. Grey grout makes white tiles look modern and
ivory grout softens bold colours.

BevS97 you are star! I was searching all over my lunch break to find something. That is wonderful.

Thanks again I knew I could trust my friends on these boards!:bounce: :bounce:

Thanks again.

Wow Bev I've been in the home revamping business for a lonnnnng time and I never knew that! We've fixed up 4 houses and resold them...I could have saved thousands had I learned this earlier...thanks for some insight! :)

I'm no DIY expert, but I do watch a lot of tv!

I am not sure how great the results are, you could try it on a spare tile first and see what you think.

Bev

Ever since we got HGTV a few years ago, I have spent SO much money. LOL But my house & garden look GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm addicted to HGTV. My husband always says "Isn't anything else on?". Poor guy! I plan the projects. He has to carry them out. We just turned a hardly used basement room into a sort of "home theater" room for him. Since I always wanted a log home (& will never afford one), we decorated with log wall paper & a cabin theme. It looks so cool!!! Click here & look at pictures 29 thru 36 if you wish. Just need to finish a faux "window with a view" & the room will be pretty much done.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=140549&a=3147943&p=51534374&f=0

Great Tip.

We are considering redoing our bathroom. The tub area already has tiles. Rather than stying with the old color we might just paint them to match. They will still linda be out of site since they are in the tub area.

I also say some cool ideas on the Sally Ralpheal (??) show. Someone used a stamper on the tiles to give them a print. Imagine the # of Mickey tiles we could make. I think there is special paint to use on them.

On the show they also took cheap white tiles, painted them with ceramic tile paint and then baked them in the home oven.

Tigger

I'd like to do some accent tiles in the kids bath. I don't really want to paint all of them, just add a bit of color here and there. I thought I saw some decals at Michael's or MJ designs once that could be used on tile. I wonder how well they would hold up? I guess you could just replace them if they got icky.

Anyone have any ideas on accent tile?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter