Need advice - overly involved grandparents

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish we were closer to our grandkids. We're in FL, one set is in NE and the other is in CA for now, but going to Okinawa for 3 years next summer. I would love to be closer to both, and we try to Facetime them at least once a month. Once GCs are older (#2 and #3 are both 3 y.o. right now, about 3 1/2 months apart; GC#1 is a separate story), we have told our kids that we will happily take them for a couple of weeks at a time whenever the parents want!

My advice: realize you are very lucky. Or move away

seriously: either be honest and tell them and risk them being offended and a storm blows. Or be sneaky and just don't tell them everything.

Last edited:

So is the OP still around and did it work itself out or did she confront the grandparents or what?
@Minnie824 if you’re out there and have noticed this thread having been dredged up - please stop by with an update. Your kids may have their own kids by now so maybe you can give us your perspective as a grandparent too! :wave2:

If your parents have boundary problems, and it sounds like they do, I would lay out your concerns with them. No bringing outside food, giving you a little space regarding kids activities, vacations, etc.. and I would seriously consider finding another babysitter.

I loved spending time with my grandparents as a kid. I mean I really loved them, and was lucky to have all 4 live in town.
I'm a grandparent now to 1 grandson. My daughter is a single parent and we help out and see him a few times a week. My husband stands (coaches) on 3rd base for his preschool baseball games. My grandson hugs him when he gets to 3rd base.

Something of the OP makes me so sad. But I hope everyone finds the happy solution!! I want my daughter to tell me if I get overbearing. A few times she's spoke her peace. Good, I raised her right.

I hope the OP kids enjoy seeing their grandparents too and the mood between all doesn't affect them negatively.
My grandson has never, nor probably will never know any of his paternal relatives. My hubby and I won't live for-ever. I hope we're in his life as long as he enjoys us being there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter