Need Airport Advice

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Medica...qid=1541936750&sr=8-3&keywords=buy+wheelchair

$123. and free shipping with prime.

91dWMGimnRL._SX679_.jpg

Are you going to the theme parks?

I'm asking, because my youngest needs one in the parks, so we rented one a couple trips, then found it was just cheaper for us to buy a nice wheelchair from Amazon (it was about $150). It's actually the exact same kind that we had rented from an offsite company twice!

That allows us to have it the whole time. DME just stows it under the bus for us. The airline gate checks it (I remove the foot rests and put them in the overhead bin).

It makes the trip much easier on him, knowing we always have it with us. We also use it for museums.

Why would you not just travel with a wheelchair..?

So, this is why I need months and months to plan a trip! It takes me so long to gather information, consider alternatives, and make final decisions. You do indeed make VERY good points.

After checking wheelchair prices ($125 or so for one that'll suit our situation) and wheelchair rental prices ($25ish/day, $100 for a 4-day trip), it may really be the solution. No stresses about connections at the airport.

One thing would be what to do with it after the trip, as we wouldn't need it any longer. But donating it could take care of that.

Time to mull a little more...

My mom doesn't own a wheelchair. She manages her everyday life - short trips to the grocery store, library, etc. - with just a rollator. She cannot do long distances with a rollator, though.

Last time I took her to Disney, I thought we had wheelchair coverage taken care of. But at least she could still manage that one long walk in the airport, when she had to; this time I don't want to risk it.

But you make a good point. Maybe I should look into renting a wheelchair in my mom's town, that way we'd have the entire trip covered.
check with her/any church, or local senior center, or service organizations. They may have a wheelchair you can borrow.

I am sitting in this very wheelchair right now - except I have the leg supports removed. I use this at home at my desk. I have the Whill Ci power chair that I use outside the home and sometimes at home. The manual chair works better at my desk though.
Do you use this outside your home? If so, does it fold easily to fit in a car?

100% agreeing with everyone else to rent/buy/borrow a wheelchair for your use for the entire length of your stay. We had several not-so-great airport experiences that culminated in my grandma falling and an ER trip before we wised up and got one for her. It was a huge relief for the trip, and ended up being helpful in everyday life as well (she had ongoing knee and hip issues, and found it more comfortable than a rollator).

As for what to do with the wheelchair after the trip if you do buy one... keep it! You never know when your mom (or even someone else in the family) might need a wheelchair. Your mom might eventually need a wheelchair, or someone else might break a leg (hopefully not, but it happens) and you might find yourself needing one. I'd keep it, and then if you hear someone needs one let them borrow it, if you feel bad keeping it when no one is using it.

Last edited:

As for what to do with the wheelchair after the trip if you do buy one... keep it! You never know when your mom (or even someone else in the family) might need a wheelchair.

I agree with this. I bought a knee scooter when I broke my leg and I saved it. A year later I broke my foot and used it again. Since then I've loaned it out twice. I would think that as your mother ages it will make sense to have a wheelchair around just to use for special events or a longer shopping trip.

Thank you for all your support! There will come a day, I'm sure, when a wheelchair will be a necessity, for either short term things like a broken bone or long term care (my father also is losing his footing more than he cares to admit). I'm sure we could find a place to store it until it's needed again (more trips to Disney??).

The trip is in July--I'll post how it all works out.

Do you use this outside your home? If so, does it fold easily to fit in a car?
It folds up pretty easily. We have a van not a car. There's no problem transporting it. I guess it would depend on the size of one's trunk.

Sharing my recent experience (Saturday November 17) attempting to arrange for wheelchair assistance at the airport. Note I can walk but not for long distances due to arthritis in both of my knees. Standing still (i.e., in lines) for a long time is also painful.

I spoke with the lobby concierge desk at the hotel (Animal Kingdom Villas-Kidani) the day before departure. She called DME and after some discussion, DME said for me to call them when I was on the bus, on the way to the airport and give them the bus number I was on. When I did that, the supervisor I spoke with at DME said they could do nothing to help me since she thought it was required that the person needing the wheelchair had to be at the airport before they could make the wheelchair request. She couldn't explain why I was given incorrect information from DME the day before, but she said she would contact the DME desk at the airport to see if they could help me.

You can probably see this next part coming ... Upon arrival at the airport there was no sign of anyone from DME at the bus or inside the entrance, and no sign of a wheelchair. I went to the airport information desk just inside and that person recommended I take the elevator up to the third level and go to the ticket counter for assistance since it takes forever to get a wheelchair down on level 1. I didn't go to the DME desk because the Info desk and elevators were right there at the entrance.

When I got up to the third level I spoke with a representative at the entry to the ticket counter line to ask what to do. I already had my bag checked at the hotel and I had my boarding pass, so I figured I didn't need to go to the actual American Airlines ticket counter. The airline rep told me to go outside to the wheelchair desk (beside where you can check bags curbside) to request a wheelchair.

The three people at the outside counter (who were all paying attention to their cell phones, practically ignoring me) couldn't have been less helpful if they tried. First they told me the security line for wheelchairs was 3 hours long (lie #1). Then when I explained I was flying first class and there was a separate Priority line (different from the TSA pre-check line) they told me I was wrong, no such line existed (lie #2, it's still there just like my last trip two years ago, and just like other airports I travel from/through). I could see I was getting nowhere with them, and I suspect it was at least partly due to me being fat and no one wanting to have to push me through the airport.

I went back inside, this time to the ticket counter. The airline rep confirmed the wheelchair line was NOT 3 hours long, as well as confirming the existence of the priority line. She went to get a supervisor and there ensued a discussion with 4 people by the entrance doors. I can only imagine their discussion since they were too far away for me to hear, but they looked at me several times and finally someone came with a wheelchair and off we went.

To shorten the rest of the story, he was very helpful and kind and even apologized to me when I commented that I felt they lied to me because they didn't want to have to push me through the airport. He wasn't aware of the priority line either, but security encouraged us to go through the wheelchair line because it would be less time than the priority line, and it was somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes. I tipped him well when I got to the gate.

I don't know if there's a moral to my story, but I now hate the Orlando airport, and the whole experience left such a bad taste in my mouth that it will be a long time before I go back to Disney World.

Last edited:
Bluecruiser - I hate that you had that experience. I now have my own power chair - but have only had it about 6 weeks. I just cringe at the thought of basically being tossed off of the bus and being physically unable to go track down help. I traveled alone for years and years. It makes me sick how often people do not realize how helpless one can be when disabled.

Sharing my recent experience (Saturday November 17) attempting to arrange for wheelchair assistance at the airport. Note I can walk but not for long distances due to arthritis in both of my knees. Standing still (i.e., in lines) for a long time is also painful.

I spoke with the lobby concierge desk at the hotel (Animal Kingdom Villas-Kidani) the day before departure. She called DME and after some discussion, DME said for me to call them when I was on the bus, on the way to the airport and give them the bus number I was on. When I did that, the supervisor I spoke with at DME said they could do nothing to help me since she thought it was required that the person needing the wheelchair had to be at the airport before they could make the wheelchair request. She couldn't explain why I was given incorrect information from DME the day before, but she said she would contact the DME desk at the airport to see if they could help me.

You can probably see this next part coming ... Upon arrival at the airport there was no sign of anyone from DME at the bus or inside the entrance, and no sign of a wheelchair. I went to the airport information desk just inside and that person recommended I take the elevator up to the third level and go to the ticket counter for assistance since it takes forever to get a wheelchair down on level 1. I didn't go to the DME desk because the Info desk and elevators were right there at the entrance.

When I got up to the third level I spoke with a representative at the entry to the ticket counter line to ask what to do. I already had my bag checked at the hotel and I had my boarding pass, so I figured I didn't need to go to the actual American Airlines ticket counter. The airline rep told me to go outside to the wheelchair desk (beside where you can check bags curbside) to request a wheelchair.

The three people at the outside counter (who were all paying attention to their cell phones, practically ignoring me) couldn't have been less helpful if they tried. First they told me the security line for wheelchairs was 3 hours long (lie #1). Then when I explained I was flying first class and there was a separate Priority line (different from the TSA pre-check line) they told me I was wrong, no such line existed (lie #2, it's still there just like my last trip two years ago, and just like other airports I travel from/through). I could see I was getting nowhere with them, and I suspect it was at least partly due to me being fat and no one wanting to have to push me through the airport.

I went back inside, this time to the ticket counter. The airline rep confirmed the wheelchair line was NOT 3 hours long, as well as confirming the existence of the priority line. She went to get a supervisor and there ensued a discussion with 4 people by the entrance doors. I can only imagine their discussion since they were too far away for me to hear, but they looked at me several times and finally someone came with a wheelchair and off we went.

To shorten the rest of the story, he was very helpful and kind and even apologized to me when I commented that I felt they lied to me because they didn't want to have to push me through the airport. He wasn't aware of the priority line either, but security encouraged us to go through the wheelchair line because it would be less time than the priority line, and it was somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes. I tipped him well when I got to the gate.

I don't know if there's a moral to my story, but I now hate the Orlando airport, and the whole experience left such a bad taste in my mouth that it will be a long time before I go back to Disney World.

So discouraging! I had hoped that after my experience and my call of complaint, and they're assurance that it wouldn't happen again, that maybe it wouldn't. I'm so sorry for you that it did. I encourage you to call DME and complain now that you're home. That's what I did, so feel free to say that a similar experience happened to someone else, so this isn't the first time. And I agree with you completely about the experience leaving such a bad taste in you're mouth that you're hesitant to return to WDW. I was really hoping you had a better outcome.
One reason I'm reluctant to have my own wheelchair is what does it do to your use of DME? I can get up the few steps on the bus, so could they store it below? Or if I had my own scooter, could that be stored below the bus?

This is so discouraging! And yet so similar to what happened the last time I traveled on DME with my mom. I did a lot of running around trying to get a wheelchair, only to.be told we had to wait in the ticket line (like you, in spite of having boarding passes and luggage checked back at the hotel). In the end, my poor mother walked greater distances and stood for greater amounts of time than were good for her, just trying to get assistance so she wouldn't have to walk or stand stand. And she had me helping---ha, FWIW.

Would it be so difficult for Disney to have a wheelchair assistance desk (with wheelchairs) right at the DME drop off? Apparently so. But with so many of us facing this daunting obstacle, it means the difference between making the trip and vacationing elsewhere.
I really want to make one more trip with my mom, and spend time with her at WDW. But I shouldn't have to beg, borrow or buy a wheelchair to get to do that! (Sigh. I will.)
Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm so sorry for your trouble.

So discouraging! I had hoped that after my experience and my call of complaint, and they're assurance that it wouldn't happen again, that maybe it wouldn't. I'm so sorry for you that it did. I encourage you to call DME and complain now that you're home. That's what I did, so feel free to say that a similar experience happened to someone else, so this isn't the first time. And I agree with you completely about the experience leaving such a bad taste in you're mouth that you're hesitant to return to WDW. I was really hoping you had a better outcome.
One reason I'm reluctant to have my own wheelchair is what does it do to your use of DME? I can get up the few steps on the bus, so could they store it below? Or if I had my own scooter, could that be stored below the bus?
Seeing how I'll be going down this road of getting a wheelchair for the entire trip, I'm taking the risk of doing something completely new. That means right from the start, from even getting the chair into my mom's mini suv in her parking lot. The whole trip could have unpleasant surprises!

But from what I've read, wheelchairs fold up and fit under the bus. I hope.

But from what I've read, wheelchairs fold up and fit under the bus. I hope.

Yes, they do. There is plenty of room underneath the bus with the luggage. :thumbsup2 We’ve done it lots of times, with four different kinds of chairs (all manual push-chairs). Other families will be stowing strollers also. You will probably be asked at some point if your mom can transfer, or if she will need an accessible bus with a lift. Just let them know that she can board the bus on foot, and would like to stow the chair. The driver may ask again to be sure, and will be happy to put the chair underneath for you, and will retrieve it at your resort.

Not sure about a scooter, though. Hopefully someone with experience can help with that question. Have a wonderful trip!

...One reason I'm reluctant to have my own wheelchair is what does it do to your use of DME? I can get up the few steps on the bus, so could they store it below? Or if I had my own scooter, could that be stored below the bus?

Actually, owning/bringing your own (or even a rental from your hometown) chair or scooter makes DME *very* easy - you don't have to worry about getting around at any airport you travel through (including MCO) and you are guaranteed to have the mobility device you need, when you need it.

I personally have seen wheelchairs folded and stored under the DME buses with the luggage. My own personal scooter (with the handlebars dropped, and the seat back off) would actually fit under there upright as well, although I can no longer use the steps, and so I must sit on my scooter, and use the lift. (think of the DME lift to get in and out of the bus as your first - and last! - ride at Disney!)

Remember - if you are traveling solo, it may be easier to have an electrically propelled device like a scooter, unless you are used to self-propelling in a wheelchair at home on a daily basis, all day, every day.

Would it be so difficult for Disney to have a wheelchair assistance desk (with wheelchairs) right at the DME drop off?
Yes. It would. Disney doesn't provide, and isn't involved in, wheelchair assistance at the airport.

For MCO to do it, there would have to be a demonstrated need for a staffed wheelchair counter adjacent to the DME drop point, but I'm willing to bet it wouldn't be feasible.

Disney needs to post a single CM there, and MCO needs to provide that post with direct contact to the Skycap dispatcher.
Not sure about a scooter, though. Hopefully someone with experience can help with that question
Not DME, but yes, i have had an ECV stowed in one of the luggage compartments on a coach style bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter