Need Camper Rental Suggestions Please

We have used both Florida Camper Rentals and Mechams in the past and have been very happy with both of them!

This is exactly the thread I was looking for - I'm planning an October 2020 trip for family of 7, and was considering a rental at the campsite. We are a large family, and we've never all stayed in an RV or trailer before, and I am kind of clueless on sizes.

Based on the research I've done the last couple of days, I think I understand how it works - we book the campground, rent the RV, and when we checkin we'd send the information to the RV rental company, and they come and park it and do all the hookups, and then on checkout day we just tell them what time we are leaving and they handle any waste water and detach? What happens if we screw up and reserve a spot that doesn't fit the RV we rent? This is kind of my big fear! Also - we have a large 12 passenger van, and I'm worried about the RV and the van both fitting at the site, especially if we also rent a golf cart.

I'm pretty overwhelmed (in a good way) with all the options, so if there is a FAQ or another thread for me to read, I'd love the links. Thanks!

This is exactly the thread I was looking for - I'm planning an October 2020 trip for family of 7, and was considering a rental at the campsite. We are a large family, and we've never all stayed in an RV or trailer before, and I am kind of clueless on sizes.

Based on the research I've done the last couple of days, I think I understand how it works - we book the campground, rent the RV, and when we checkin we'd send the information to the RV rental company, and they come and park it and do all the hookups, and then on checkout day we just tell them what time we are leaving and they handle any waste water and detach? What happens if we screw up and reserve a spot that doesn't fit the RV we rent? This is kind of my big fear! Also - we have a large 12 passenger van, and I'm worried about the RV and the van both fitting at the site, especially if we also rent a golf cart.

I'm pretty overwhelmed (in a good way) with all the options, so if there is a FAQ or another thread for me to read, I'd love the links. Thanks!

That is correct -- we did not have to handle any of the connections/disconnections. I did have to dump the wastewater, but that was literally just going to the side of the RV and opening up a drainage valve. Not hard at all.

if you get a premium spot you should have plenty of room. We had a 40' 5th wheel and there was room to park a golf cart next to the RV on one side and we were also able to park a minivan and a quad cab truck in front of the 5th wheel.

I would just let the person you're renting from know that you want to be able to park a 12 passenger van there so that he knows to park the RV farther back on the site.

That is correct -- we did not have to handle any of the connections/disconnections. I did have to dump the wastewater, but that was literally just going to the side of the RV and opening up a drainage valve. Not hard at all.

if you get a premium spot you should have plenty of room. We had a 40' 5th wheel and there was room to park a golf cart next to the RV on one side and we were also able to park a minivan and a quad cab truck in front of the 5th wheel.

I would just let the person you're renting from know that you want to be able to park a 12 passenger van there so that he knows to park the RV farther back on the site.

Thanks! That sounds absolutely perfect for us :)

When it comes to moving around from park to park, do most people do golf carts? We've got 2 adults and 5 kids, and the youngest will be 3. Should we just plan on driving the van around or are there golf carts big enough for us? Or should I consider getting 2 carts? I've been to WDW once, and that was about 15 years ago and well before I had any kids so my sense of distances and space is lacking. I am assuming walking, even between bus stops/launches and the pools would be a bit much on top of other in-park walking, but I'm also struggling with the parking situation - if possible I want to just park the van and be done with it until time to check out!

Thanks! That sounds absolutely perfect for us :)

When it comes to moving around from park to park, do most people do golf carts? We've got 2 adults and 5 kids, and the youngest will be 3. Should we just plan on driving the van around or are there golf carts big enough for us? Or should I consider getting 2 carts? I've been to WDW once, and that was about 15 years ago and well before I had any kids so my sense of distances and space is lacking. I am assuming walking, even between bus stops/launches and the pools would be a bit much on top of other in-park walking, but I'm also struggling with the parking situation - if possible I want to just park the van and be done with it until time to check out!

Disney does have some 6 person golf carts but they are first come, first served. I had a golf cart from the rental company and they only offered the 4-person ones.

As far as getting around, we were in loop 400, which was very close to the marina area. So if we were going to MK, we just walked to the boats. As for the other parks, we ended up just driving to them since that was easier than messing with the internal transportation. It does take away from being in the Disney bubble -- but I'd rather save time in those circumstances. Plus it was in July -- so anytime I can spend NOT standing outside waiting for a bus is a huge plus.

I hate to admit it, but we didn't spend as much time exploring the Fort as I had planned since it rained pretty much every afternoon I had planned on doing exploring. As such, I can't really comment on what all there is to do. We did make it to Hoop-dee-doo and that was a lot of fun. The fried chicken was really good -- and my kids (ages 6 and 3) LOVED the show. They didn't understand most of the jokes, but it is done in a whacky manner that kids find hilarious.

You might want to consider Camper Rental Adventures of De Leon Springs. WWW.Camperrentaladventures.com
We have never used them but they are the 1st recommendation our TA makes to her guests when they want to rent a unit. The owners Dawn and her husband are regularly in the Fort. In addition to their Travel Trailers they offer packages of extras.
As I said we never used them but one of our friends does for both her parents and In Laws and she swears by them

Last edited:
As far as getting around, we were in loop 400, which was very close to the marina area. So if we were going to MK, we just walked to the boats. As for the other parks, we ended up just driving to them since that was easier than messing with the internal transportation. It does take away from being in the Disney bubble -- but I'd rather save time in those circumstances. Plus it was in July -- so anytime I can spend NOT standing outside waiting for a bus is a huge plus.

Good to know about driving - it wasn't a big hassle to drive, park and walk from the lots? Is it ok to have a kid on your lap in one of the carts or would that be massively frown upon? Transporting all 7 of us is usually a logistical issue so I'm bracing myself for it :D I do dislike waiting for buses though - so if driving/parking means less queue time, I'm all for that!

Good to know about driving - it wasn't a big hassle to drive, park and walk from the lots? Is it ok to have a kid on your lap in one of the carts or would that be massively frown upon? Transporting all 7 of us is usually a logistical issue so I'm bracing myself for it :D I do dislike waiting for buses though - so if driving/parking means less queue time, I'm all for that!
Driving to epcot wasn't bad at all -- a lot will depend on what time you get to the park though. I found that the bag check line at Epcot for drivers is much better than the bag check line for using disney transportation. It only took us like 30 seconds to get thru bag check and it normally takes us 5-10 minutes during busy times. we got to DAK around 3 pm and THAT sucked. We walked all the way from the car to the entrance b/c our parking spot was about as far away from the tram as possible, and I didn't want to have to walk that far only to then have to then fold the stroller and wait for a tram.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts