Need for a rental car?

FroggyRN

Earning My Ears
If we're mainly planing on just hanging out at the resort, maybe go across the street, or decide to go to Costco or Target, what are our options? Do we have any or should we rent a car? Thanks!

Last edited:
You probably don't need a rental car then. You could take a taxi/uber/lyft to the Costco or Target. Or you could rent a car for a day from Alamo and do a bit of sightseeing around the island, stop at Target, and still return the car that night so you don't have to pay to park it.

Thank you. Was trying to justify rental cost. We looked at SpeediShuttle to and from airport for transfers, and that's about $155 for all four of us. We wouldn't pay for parking as we are DVC, so not worried about that. Does anyone know the "typical" day rate for a rental from Alamo?

We always like having a car even though we rarely leave the resort. We were there in may for 10 days, got a van for the entire time. It was about $350 from advantage. We stop at the store on the way, go into kaplei for dinner at an Italian restaurant we like, go to mass on Sunday and usually take a drive around the north shore. I also went back to store once during the week. We too are Dvc so no parking charges.

We did two one-day rentals from Alamo at Aulani and it was just under $100/day for a small SUV. Expensive but it was worth it for the convenience for us of just picking up/dropping off there and not paying parking fees since we're not DVC.

Not sure if you have been to Aulani before or not. I think care is worthwhile if you are staying beyond 4 days or so. Very nice to have that flexibility as there is much to see on the island.

Since we're DVC, we've found that the price of renting a car isn't much more (could even be less) than paying for transportation from/to the airport. We like the flexibility it gives us to eat off property (love the Koa Pancake House in Kapolei). We typically venture out in the morning, eat lunch off propert

I personally find renting a car to be necessary at Aulani. I think the freedom it gives us to run to the store, go out to eat, and get to the North Shore and other sites is worth it. Also, silly things like one of our kids got pink eye one trip - in 45 minutes we had a prescription called into the closest CVS and were in-line to pick it up. But a car isn't a requirement. You can always rent at the on-site Alamo as long as there is availability.

There's also a Costco about 2 miles away and the prices are only about 10% more than what you find here. They even have the $1.50 hotdog and drink deal. Great way to bring in food. You can wait until your room is ready to run back out since it's so close. But you'll need a car.

Just back two weeks ago and rented a Cadillac XTS for ten days @$350.00.....$35 bucks a day was a steal. Alamo....only drawback is the car rentals are off site, takes a bit to get the car and drop it off.

Just back two weeks ago and rented a Cadillac XTS for ten days @$350.00.....$35 bucks a day was a steal. Alamo....only drawback is the car rentals are off site, takes a bit to get the car and drop it off.
Not all are offsite. We used Budget last week and it was onsite. Easy! Paid $200 for a standard size car for 4 nights. Not cheap but not much more than airport transport for 4.

I would definitely rent a car at Aulani. It's not that expensive and gives you the flexibility to leave.

Off site meaning where? Near the airport? Or somewhere in between?

We crunched some numbers and determined that at $240 a rental car was worth it. When you factor in an Uber to and from the airport, to a store for shopping and the one trip we know we're taking into Honolulu for the ice, it pays for itself even if we don't go anywhere else.

In my opinion, it is a crime to go all the way to Hawaii and just stay at the resort. There is so much to see and do on Oahu! The scenery is stunning and there are many beaches where you will be one of few people using it. Also, take advantage of some of the great restaurants around the island.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter