Need gift ideas for 9 year old girl in hospital

tink20

DIS Veteran
It's been awhile since I have had a 9 yr old to buy for. I want to get something for a coworker's granddaughter that is in the hospital due to a bad car accident. (She lives w/him & his wife, who was also in the accident, but has been released)

Someone told me that they thought she has Downs. I only speak to this coworker about work related stuff, so I don't really know anything about her.

I was thinking about a stuffed animal or doll, maybe coloring books. Do these sound ok? Any other ideas?

Our DD spent 2 weeks in PICU when she was 6. We were blessed that many family and friends came to visit and offer support. Thinking back, of the many gifts DD recieved, the gifts that helped her pass the time and take her mind off the fact that she was in a hospital were the most useful. Simple things like coloring books/crayons, an age-appropriate craft that wasn't too complex and didn't consist of too many small pieces, etc.

You didn't mention how severe the 9 year-old's injuries are or if there is limited dexterity at the moment so these suggestions might not apply. Always sad to learn of a child in the hospital. Praying for a full and speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Can she move? Not sure if her injuries would prevent her from coloring but coloring books would work. Tattoos, paint books (the kind where you wet a q tip and the "paint" is already on the page just dab the q tip in the color), any kind of crayons color magic, maybe even word searches or small figurines. Hope she has a speedy recovery! How nice of you to think of the little girl!

Having recently spent time in the hospital my suggestion would be snacks. The hospital food leaves a LOT to be desired and I would have loved some snacks to munch on in between 'meals'.

I'm not really sure of the extent of her injuries, as of this morning, she was still in ICU. I guess I should try and find out more info first.

If she has a tablet of sorts maybe some books, or regular books if she has some favorites.

I know kids are different today but, when I was in the hospital as a kid, I loved getting stuffed animals. My favorite thing, though, was when my principal came to visit and brought me flowers. I had never gotten flowers before and thought I was so special lol.

If she's able to move and do things I'd suggest some craft supplies. If she really can't move much I think a stuffed animal is a good idea. My daughter loved webkins at that age.

As a parent to a nine year old I'd say no to stuffed animals and dolls because we have SO many and they have really outgrown them unless they have one or two very special ones (plus no one accepts them as donations due to bedbugs and you have to just trash them when done). Mine also doesn't color anymore but I know some girls still do at this point.

iTunes gift cards, books, mad libs, board game like battleship or puctionary might work.

When my daughter was hospitalized for a couple weeks one of her most popular gifts (along with her sisters whom she shared with) was a container filled with different kinds of gum. I never would have thought of something like that but they loved it because they were able to try all the different flavors.

That was my first thought!

I have a 9 year old dd, and Plushcraft pillows are a GREAT choice. I've bought a few for birthday parties, the one that received the big thumbs up was the initial pillow. My dd saved up to buy one herself and loved it. It's really cute!

https://www.michaels.com/plushcraft-fabric-by-number-personalized-pillow-kit/10489105.html

Try to find things that are simple to do - and don't have too many important pieces. Easy crafts if she is able to use her hands, those magic pen coloring books, etc. Dover makes little sticker books and stuff that can be fun.

I'd probably make a gift basket with some snacks like jelly beans, coloring or puzzle books, maybe a fidget spinner.
Hope she gets well soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter