Need Handrail On Left

loriwvu

Mouseketeer
I had a hemhorragic stroke that affected my entire right side. I can walk but need to use a handrail on the left to use stairs. Would Keys to the Kingdom tour be OK for me?

You will be on your feet for up to 5 hours with a couple of short breaks (and half an hour for lunch). I really don't think you'll have the stamina to be on your feet for that long. My sister in law had a stroke and lost all use of her right side about 9 years ago, but luckily is able to walk short distances (even though her entire right side is completely numb).

I had a hemhorragic stroke that affected my entire right side. I can walk but need to use a handrail on the left to use stairs. Would Keys to the Kingdom tour be OK for me?
I agree with what the PP is implying - you should strongly consider a mobility device, i.e. ECV. The tour is accessible. If you don't want to do that, let your Tour Guide know in advance that you will need to use elevators where appropriate.

If needing a handrail on the left is really the only accommodation then I'd say yes the tour should be ok and accommodating.

Although throughout the park when not on the tour having a handrail on the left may not always be available since the majority of society stays to their right so you'd be going against the grain when walking up and down stairs.

If needing a handrail on the left is really the only accommodation then I'd say yes the tour should be ok and accommodating.

Although throughout the park when not on the tour having a handrail on the left may not always be available since the majority of society stays to their right so you'd be going against the grain when walking up and down stairs.

In the park, I would think there would be a wheelchair accessible route to everything. Wouldn't someone who couldn't do stairs be able to use that?

In the park, I would think there would be a wheelchair accessible route to everything. Wouldn't someone who couldn't do stairs be able to use that?
Yes. That's why I advised the OP to let the Tour Guide know they need to use the elevator(s).

I *think* almost all of the backstage tours are accessible now, but even just a few years ago, there were still a couple of them that were not accessible!

Be sure when you book any tour or special event at WDW that you let them know if you have accessibility issues.

@loriwvu I found the page for the Keys to the Kingdom Tour, and if you click on the "Accessibility and other Information" link on the right, you will see that it states that for this tour "May Remain in Wheelchair/ECV"

You will be on your feet for up to 5 hours with a couple of short breaks (and half an hour for lunch). I really don't think you'll have the stamina to be on your feet for that long. My sister in law had a stroke and lost all use of her right side about 9 years ago, but luckily is able to walk short distances (even though her entire right side is completely numb).
Thanks. Actually I am very lucky. I have gone several times since my stroke and I can walk with no problem long distance. I can go around the World Show Case no problem. I just have no awareness of my right side.

I *think* almost all of the backstage tours are accessible now, but even just a few years ago, there were still a couple of them that were not accessible!

Be sure when you book any tour or special event at WDW that you let them know if you have accessibility issues.

@loriwvu I found the page for the Keys to the Kingdom Tour, and if you click on the "Accessibility and other Information" link on the right, you will see that it states that for this tour "May Remain in Wheelchair/ECV"
Thanks. I am finding now that I didn't schedule it in time. I will have to try again. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter