Need help and advice about restaurants

mom2nickntink

WDW Newbie
We narrowed our choices down to:

MGM: Pizza Planet and 50's Cafe
AK: Flame Tree and Tusker House
MK: Cosmic Rays, Columbia Harbour and Pecos Bill
Epcot: Cantina de san Angel, Tangerine Cafe and Yakatori

1. Are these places good choices? Any other recommendations at each park?

2. Does any of these places have meal programs? Are there any other meal programs available?

3. Are meals generally big enough to share if we aren't big eaters and if we order an extra side? What places DO have large portions that will allow us to share.

4. I heard on a board people saying they order from the kids menu for light eaters. Do they allow you to do that and do they charge extra? What generally is the difference between a kids meal and an adult meal? (i.e. burger, chicken strips)

5. What are these vouchers I hear people mentioning and how EXACTLY do they work? Where are they good for? (sit down restaurants or counter service places?) Can a party of 3 adults and 2 kids use 2-3 vouchers or do we need to use one each?

Thanks for any advice/help you can give. Trying to make this a special trip for all without bankrupting us.

I have eaten at almost all of the places you listed and IMHO they are some of the best counter service available in those parks (don't do fish - so don't do Columbia Harbor House). The portions are generally okay for an average adult. I think the kids menus have reasonable sized portions as well. I guess my recommendation on sharing is to look at what the people ahead of you are getting and see if it is enough. Personally, it wouldn't be for me and DH, but then I would not classify us as light eaters.

If you are looking to save a fair amount of money, bring in your snacks in a backpack or belt pack. Somehow, all that walking around makes us really hungry between meals too.

One of the best snacks I have found is the Smucker's Uncrustable sandwiches you can get at the grocery store. If you have a refrigerator in your room, you can store these frozen PB&J sandwiches in it. They are small enough to fit in a kid's belt pack and thaw nicely as you walk around. They really tide you over until the next meal as they are more substantial and healthier than sweets. In fact, in most counter service at WDW, they are the PB&J sandwiches served in the kids meals. They are somewhat pricey compared to making your own PB&J, but they are convenient and less messy. They are also a good deal cheaper than ice cream and other snacks in the world.

Enjoy yourself and have a great time.

Each time that I have been with my children I get one meal and they share. I have two daughters that are fairly light eaters and splitting one dish is fine for them. I would check on the Flame Tree Barbeque. They do shut that down at certain times, when they aren't "peak" season from what I understand. We were looking forward to it on our trip last November and it was closed then. I highly recommend a character meal also!! Find one that offers mingling with your children's favorite characters. It costs a little more, but it is well worth it!!!!! We love to eat in Cinderella's castle in Magic Kingdom. The girls get the royal treatment and they love it!!!! The princess breakfast is their favorite, but any meal in the castle is fabulous!!!!:smooth:

Here's my chioces:

MK Pecos Bills - Great toppings bar. My daughter and I share a double burger since there isn't one on the kids menu. The other two restaurants are good as well ans I would eat at any of them if I was in that area of the park, and usually do. ;)

MGM Pizza Planet is counter service and my kids insist on eating here every trip. Pizza is ok. 50's PT is a wonderful sit down meal and it is one of my favorites. Try the s'mores!

EPCOT - the cantina has mediocre food, but we did split a combo meal here between myself and two kids and had more than enough food. I would choose Fish and Chips as my favorite counter service in Epcot.

AK - Tusker House wins hands down!!! My favorite counter service! They close at three so make sure to get there earlier. I was disapointed last trip because we wanted a late lunch and they had just closed. Wen to Flame tree instead and it was ok but not on my list for next trip.

Many places have meals large enough to share. I have on occasion bought a kids meal without a problem.

Disnee Dad Says................................You have done your research and made wise choices. That said, for #1, I would splurge for lunch at the Brown Derby, it seems this is the only place where you can get a real Cobb salad, the same way the Derby made it many decades ago. At Tusker house, three chicken meals and a side or two should take care of all five of you. And it is good. MK, good choices. Epcot, how can you pass up authentic fish and chips at England and a couple of pints!!
#2 No Comment
#3 Portions are large everywhere. I would split and snack as much as you can to get the most flavors and tastes.
#4 Anyone can order a kids meal, they tend to be hot dogs, burgers, grilled cheese, with fries. I am happy with a dog and fries at least once a trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter