Need help choosing our first ABD!

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
Hi - we are a family of 4 (kids are 10 and 14). We are huge Disney fans and love going to the parks. We've been thinking about doing an ABD for a few years but the price was always very hard for us to swallow. Now we are serious about doing one in 2019. We've never been to Europe and there are many places we want to see. We've narrowed it down to our top 3 which are Scotland, Ireland, and Italy (just Italy...not Amalfi or Switzerland). After looking through them all and doing some research of the itineraries, they all equally appeal to us. We're probably leaning toward Scotland or Ireland because we love the idea of touring castles and pub crawls. But, Italy looks amazing! They all 3 look wonderful!

I know it's subjective - but I would love to hear your opinions about which of those were your favorite or what thoughts you might having on choosing between them. Or if you have an opinion on which itinerary kids those ages might like the best.

Thank you!

I've been looking for our first ABD for next year, when my kids will be 11 & 14. We are looking at Italy, mostly because I have heard such great reviews. Also because both of my kids are very into mythology and my oldest studies latin, so that gives Italy the edge. I'm interested to hear what others think as well.

We are taking our first one this June and doing Italy. DD is 10 and loves art, music and mythology. I figure England, Scotland, Australia etc where they speak English are doable without the use of guides. I went to France with my girlfriends a year ago so would also be comfortable there without a guide also.

Hoping that this will be the first of many.

We chose Scotland as our first ABD based upon the itinerary. I started planning an on our own trip to Scotland and then thought to check ABD because we had been wanting to try it. Everything I wanted to do in Scotland was included in the ABD, so I went ahead and booked. I am planning to do a trip report when we return, but it will unfortunately probably be after you have already selected your trip.

I have only been on Ireland of the trips you selected and though it was wonderful, it is not one of our very favorites. Our son is 10 and we love the more active itineraries so we LOVED Greece, Peru, and the Grand Canyon. (But, we have enjoyed all of our ABDs). Some of our fellow adventurers had been on the Italy trip and just raved about it so I think that's a great pick. But really, you can't go wrong with any of them!

Scotland (the previous itinerary) was our first ABD, and it got us hooked and then we did 5 more so far :) Scotland is a good intro to Europe for kids... I saw it as "Europe light" since they spoke English and you can drink the water. We actually flew there on Air Lingus so we did a couple days stopover in Dublin on the way home, so combined our Scotland trip with a wee bit of Ireland. I haven't done Italy--we skipped over to Latin America for our past few trips, to Australia and now back to the US. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. We actually picked Scotland initially because it was last minute and that was the trip with spaces open on the dates we wanted.

We have taken five ABDs (4 to Europe, one to California) I think London/Paris is a great first international trip for children, because there are recognizable things, language is predominately English, food is good for all tastes.

My thoughts, as someone who has done all three of these itineraries:

Italy is the busiest, very little Oyo time, but has the best food and shopping, IMO.
Scotland had the most coach time, but iDK about the new itinerary they have now.
Ireland had the most oyo time iirc, and was most relaxing, IMO.

Italy had best value for the money, IMO,followed by Scotland, then Ireland

Scotland and Ireland will have rain, most likely (especially Scotland), but Italy will likely be hot.

Just some thoughts to help you in your decision.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter