Need help choosing the right lens

Super Momma

Earning My Ears
I need help choosing the right lens to buy. I just bought the Canon Digital Rebel and I want to get a better lens for it (but not break the bank). I really want to get some good pictures of the animals at Animal Kingdom. I am new to the whole SLR thing so please easy to understand terms would be greatly appreciates. :confused3 Thanks

For animal kingdom you will want a good telephoto lens. there are many choices for under $200. I have heard many good things about the Sigma Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro Super II. It seems to be the best choice for under $200. I owned the Canon Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM, which I paid $170 and I did not like it very much. Just make sure when you get a telephoto lens that you shoot with a fast enough shutter speed to eliminate camera shake.

I have the Sigma 70-300 for my Nikon and it's a great lens for the price.

Here's the one for your Canon.

http://www.sigma4less.com/sess/utn;...APO+DG+Macro+for+Canon+AF+=28SG70300F4ADCA=29

I purchased mine from www.sigma4less.com for $190 (+shipping). Service was quick and reliable.

Just some words of advice. Watch your available light. You may end up with blurry pics when zoomed out to 200-300mm. If you are in low light conditions, watch your shutter speed. If too low (less than 1/250 at 300mm) you may want to bump up your ISO speed to compensate.

I'm considering getting the Nikon 18-200 to replace my Sigma because it has image stabilization which I really miss (my 4 year old Olympus had it). Canon makes IS lenses but they are significantly more expensive than your budget.

As the focal length gets longer, you will get closer to the subject. It will appear bigger in your viewfinder. With the subject bigger in your viewfinder, the normal shaking that occurs with hand holding a camera will be magnified. A faster shutter speed will lessen blur caused by camera shake. The general rule is that you should have a shutter speed faster than 1/focal length. If you are shooting at 300 mm, then the shutter speed should be 1/300 or faster.

If you are shooting on Kilamanjaro Safari truck where it is extremely bumpy, you should go even faster, probably 1/1000 at 300 mm.

If you cannot get to those shutter speeds and get a good exposure, then increase your ISO to compensate.

The 70-300 lenses are probably your best choice to stay within your budget.

The lens I have found best for all around shooting at Animal Kingdom is a 80/100-400 mm but that would cost you in the neighborhood of 1400 dollars new for a Canon or Nikon model. Used lenses can be found that are cheaper. They both have the advantage of having a built in compensator for camera shake.

I can use this on the Safari, the wildlife preserve, the maharajah trail, Festival of the Lion King. It doesn't work well for wide angle panorama shots which the 70-300 won't work well either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter