need help deciding WL or ASmo???

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
Please help me decide. We are going the first week of December specificly for Christmas experience at WDW. That being said, we stayed at ASmo last time and my kids LOVED the theming of the big icons etc. And being a kid trapped inside an adults body ;) I have to admit, I really liked that resort and it's decor. What is there at WL for kids? It seems more adult themed to me. and not so much traditional "Disney". Is the price difference worth it? the counter service at the all stars worked really well for us. Not sure about the restaurants at WL.

HELP!!!!

...why do you say that ASMo is more "kid friendly"? Are your children just gonna sit there for hours staring at those big icons? WL is absolutely BREATHTAKING during December, adorned in its Christmas finest. There are activities for kids of all ages (the Kid's Camp, geared for the younger ones, includes watching Disney movies, playing on computers, coloring, etc. You can also get a copy of the "Hidden Mickey" game at the Front Desk, and have the whole family search for hidden Mickey's throughout the resort. And, don't get me started on the ga-zillions of things to do over at FTW! Finally, no WDW trip is complete without a dinner at HDD and WC!)

(Sorry if my first sentence seems too sarcastic; I'm just trying to make a point:rolleyes: )

I think people are nuts who pay bucks for hotels outside of the All Stars. How much time do you really spend in a resort? This is my opinion. I loved the allstars and so did my DD. I also loved the other resorts but I refuse to waste money for a room I only sleep in. Hey think of it this way, you can always goto WL to see the lights while your staying at the allstars. Save the money and put it towards your children (savings, bond, certdeposit's, etc.)

He is coming, 626 is too close for comfort..... I must run

Originally posted by kimmar067
...There are activities for kids of all ages (the Kid's Camp, geared for the younger ones, includes watching Disney movies, playing on computers, coloring, etc.

Wait you just said all the same things my D daughter does at home, watch Disney movies(she also has a dvd player - freebee), play Disney computer games (she does have her own pc which is extreme - but I am in the IT field and get many pc's for free), and she colors disney coloring books & computer print outs. She is 6 and I encourage her to do other things while we are on vacation.

Having stayed at both the Movies & the WL with my young nephews, I think I can try and help. There is a really nice pool with a water slide, as well as a hot tub at the Lodge. There is another pool & hot tub at the Villas. When we stayed there, we had no problems using the villa pool or hot tub. The lodge is beautiful, especially during the holidays. There is a boat launch to the Magic Kingdom and one to the Contemporary. This came in handy when we wanted to use the monorails. There are bikes and boats you can use and they have a list of hidden Mickey's you can get from the front desk. There is a huge fireplace with rocking chairs in front of it. If you rent the watermice you can go over to the lake by the Magic Kingdom. We enjoyed our stay at the Movies too. We were in the Buzz building, which thrilled my nephews, since they are big Toy Story fans. We really enjoyed both, but if you can, I'd give the WL a shot.

...come to think of it, there is a Disney Store at the mall 10 minutes from my house (where iI can buy a Micky T-shirt), I can visit Six Flags Great Adventure to enjoy thrill rides [not to mention the hundreds of wild animals on the Jungle Safari], and I can whip up some Mickey waffles with my waffle iron...so, what's your POINT??!?!?!?! Princess Vija asked for some suggestions, and so I offered her(?) some. What if it rains at WDW??? What do you do with a small child that may need some form of diversion to make the day pass? Also, the fact that it's available, is a nice way to say to their guests that it's OKAY TO NOT HAVE TO VISIT A PARK EVERY SINGLE DAY OF YOUR VACATION!!!

Besides, I too, enjoyed getting up before the rest of my family, grabbing a cup of hot chocolate, and sitting by the fireplace to do a little bit of people-watching! (and, that's not such a bad idea this morning, where the forcast for Orlando [with chill factor] was 39 degrees!!!)

It might help to know if money is a factor (I'm assuming not?) and how old your children are. The WL is going to cost more (maybe 2x as much?) as an AS resort. You are going in colder weather so it could be that the pools are not going to be as in demand. A deluxe might work better for that reason as there is more to do in the hotel. I think you also do have to consider how much time you'd like to spend at the hotel - if you want to relax more there than a deluxe would be nicer. I guess I could toss in a plug for the AKL as there are animals to enjoy there as well. I have heard the Christmas theming at WL is wonderful if that is something that would appeal to you. Tough choice! If money is not much of a consideration then why not try a deluxe? If you'd rather save the money and don't plan to spend much time in the room or at the resort then ASMo would be the ticket.

I stayed at the POFQ the only time I've stayed on the property because I wanted to try a disney hotel and my son was 2.5 yrs old. It helped to be close to everything and have a small resort to navigate - and we were there in May and the pool was awesome. I'm hoping to try AKL next! I have an infant now and I think we'll be spending more time at the resort than we might otherwise so I'd going for the deluxe.

Enjoy!
Carol G.

Originally posted by kimmar067
...come to think of it, there is a Disney Store at the mall 10 ........

I re-read my post and it sure does sound like an attack, sorry kimmar067.

He is a short story you may enjoy kimmar067. I was in the Six Flags Safari right before a massive thunderstorm rolled into the area. I pulled up to watch a herd of animals (I forget which animal) when BAM the storm was minutes aways and the herd went nuts. The herd charged towards my vehicle and at the last minutes made almost 90 degree turns to avoid my car, some animals actually leaped over the hood of my car. It's hard to put into words but it is something I will never forget.

Some of the things I get my DD to get into:
Pin Trading
Autographs
Penny Press & Quarter Collecting
Taking her own photo's with a digital camera
Name that tune

Well, if I were given the option of staying at a deluxe vs. a value, I'd take deluxe anyday...if you can afford to do it, why not?

:)

I've never stayed at an All star resort, but I have friends that did and will not stay there again. They said the pool was PACKED ALL DAY and check in check out was terrible. Of course this is all second hand so perhaps I shouldn't be opening my big mouth. :) I've stayed at POR, Poly, Contemp, and Wilderness Lodge and always enjoyed my stays. We did wait a bit at check in at POR last time, but I think it's expected at busy times of the year (April vacation).

Wilderness Lodge was wonderful. My two cents. :)

WL hands down!

We were there over Christmas 2001. Excellent decor! The tree is beautiful! There is so much to do in the resort itself!

And even though it was cold, everyone was still swimming in the steaming pool!

All this talk about WL has gotten me homesick :(

...I'll "play nice", too (especially with a fellow NJ'er!;) ) Wow, that IS some story! (don't forget to purchase your season passes at Pathmark!!)

Basically, what I was saying in my post was, to give the WL a try (obviously, the cost is a consideration, but I was giving PRINCESS VIJA the benefit of the doubt that she already knows that there is a considerable price difference between a DLX and a VALUE resort), since they have already stayed at ASMo.......

I think you will be actually shocked to see how georgeous the WL is with Christmas decorations. The lobby is breadthtaking anyway, but at Christmas time, you have to see it to believe it.

I would say that if you could afford to do the WL, do it !
You will not regret it.

Definitely the Wilderness Lodge! The decorations alone are breathtaking. The lobby area is so nice to come sit and relax. The rockers in front of the fireplace are terrific -- a great way to unwind at the end of the day or a nice mid-day break.

What to do at WL?

There's a terrific lodge tour that shows you some great WL secrets you probably wouldn't find on your on.

Do the Hidden Mickey Challenge -- finding all the HMs scattered through WL and VWL.

Ask to be a Flag Family. It means you get up really early, but you climb to the top of the lodge to raise the flags and the view is spectacular! Bring a camera because you can get some shots that are amazing (hopefully it will not be cloudy or foggy).

Check out the geyser, the otter pool, Roaring Forks, the pool, the beach, the rental bikes and boats.

Take a hike over to FW and visit the petting zoo or ride some horses.

Check out the game room.

Shop for Disney pins at the Mercantile Exchange or the Pin Trading Booth.

Dinner at Artist Point (YUM!) or if you are into hijinks and antics, Whispering Canyon (which is anything but Whispering!)

I highly recommend WL. Sure it will cost more, but there is so much more to do than the parks! :earseek: (Ohmigosh -- did I "say" that out loud?!?!)

WL!!:D We went in Dec. and WL is THE place to be in Dec. Our kids loved it and we swam each day in the 70 degree weather. Pool is heated too. Our kids LOVED the bunkbeds and the decor. SO much to look at in there. We also saw baby dear several times as we left the resort. The balcony is great for the grownups after the kiddies are in bed :D ! PLUS, you have the EWP every night, kids adored that! SO much to do and see there. Is a theme park in itself. Oh, we got a code rate of $119 for a woodsview and felt like that was a bargain.

thanks everyone for your ideas. I would much prefer to stay at WL, and cost is a consideration, but I will try very hard to swing it!!! Thanks a bunch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter