need help figuring out how to best plan a family trip for approx.28 people.

ucancallmeflower

Mouseketeer
No toddlers or infants, so this is a huge challenge. Not sure we can do it with DVC points (1200) from two accounts, banked borrowed and used even.

28 people.... Call in as a group and stay at Values. You're almost the size of a tour group, so you could probably get a discounted rate. The DVC idea is a good one, but probably nowhere near practical. It's hard enough for families to find reservations right now for a week intact, let alone 28 people.

Each family would break off into their own unit and plan their own trip. I would say "I'm staying here, these are my park plans, these are my ADR plans, these are my FP+ plans. If you would like to coordinate with us be my guest!!! If not we can plan to see each certain days if you'd like."

No way I would plan a trip for 28 people.

I would not sign on to book anything, collect money, or do anything else that I could get burned with. For a group this size, it's really not practical to do tons of ADRs (imagine always having to wait for Uncle Louie's family!).

What I MIGHT consider doing is sending out a newsletter to the group, with information like this:

(1) potential dates for a trip
(2) rough idea of hotel/DVC costs, with different price points (1 value, 1 moderate, etc.)
(3) a couple suggestions for 1 or 2 group ADRs--Chef Mickey's? Hoop-Dee-Do? Luau?
(4) suggestions for group activities, such as water mice or mini-golf
(5) a list of popular websites for more specific information

Once some of the big issues are settled--who is actually going, what dates, etc., you can then mention your itinerary, with some ideas of your favorite rides and attractions.

In general, though, I would be very wary of taking over and doing all the planning. I especially wouldn't fall for the whole, "plan it all for us!"--that's just lazy on their part, and it sets you up to get blamed when they, say, don't like to make rope drop or are the one person on the planet who hates Soarin' or whatever. Use phrases like, "what works for me is...", rather than saying, "OMG, you just HAVE to ride Small World!"

All that said, I think this could be fun, but only if the whole gang has a sense of humor, sense of adventure, and are the type who roll with the punches. Getting a group that big to agree on something is going to be tricky. If you're an early bird and your brother is a night owl, work with it--maybe meet him for lunch in Epcot one day, rather than trying to get him to rope drop (and then getting frustrated when he doesn't show, and you're stuck at the turnstiles waiting for him).

WOW! I would start with mutual dates and then say see ya there!
Every family on their own as the above posters have stated.
I can't imagine trying to arrange reservations and such for that many persons .

I’d start with Xanax and let every family book their own stay. Like the other poster suggested maybe meet for an ADR at Hoop Dee Doo or Mickey’s Backyard BBQ.

Trying to coordinate that many people in the same park, at the same time, doing the same attraction, no way. Someone is bound to want to sleep late, someone else will want to get up early and there’s gonna be someone that just goes with the flow.

Just meet at the pool during down time, lol. Good luck!

I just helped a family of 18ish go. I gave all my suggestions. I helped find a house in their price range for 18 to 20 people. They had their own pool plus a resort pool. I would use a travel agent to help coordinate one activity a day. Meet for a few group pictures. It is doable as long as you are prepared to split up.

1. Pick "core" dates - meaning folks can arrive early or leave later - but set up that "these few days" - everyone will be there.
2. Unless you are paying for the rooms - everyone books and pays rooms on their own. You know the ability of the folks to pay - maybe try to encourage everyone pick from just a couple resorts. Or - book two LARGE rental houses in the same off-site complex.
3. Do a survey with the core planners in the group - and a small group of you decide the "few things" you will do together. 1-2 activities per day only on the core days - whether that be a meal, a photo op, a particular ride. And make these weather proof.
4. You can offer suggestions of what park the group might want to head to on a particular day - and let any Disney newbies know what rides really require either FP or RD. But beyond that - everyone is on their own.

I helped plan a family reunion last year (not at Disney) that was larger than you are talking about. We basically said everyone needed to be at a dinner on day one - and at the group lunch potluck in a state park the next day with the required photo happening right before lunch. But because we all wanted to make this trip and see each other - we did spend a HUGE amount of time hanging out more than just those planned moments. It wasn't everyone all the time - but it worked out great. Based upon arrival and departures dates - we made things happen as we could and folks wanted. It was great because everyone need the "required" expectations going in. Everything else was organized on the fly by those who wanted to.

When are you going
How does the family units break down
Which resort?

Start w a spreadsheet
Figure out realistic points, resorts, views

Do you need 4 2br units? 14 studios?

Start w the basic housing need
Then get the point charts. Don't expect bwv cheap view in October, those are gone at 11 months

Are you able to book at the 11 months window? The 7th month? I personally, do not use my points to book trips for people unless they have already made a financial commitment to the trip. Normally that means they have purchased air fare. I have been burned twice with people dropping out of the trip - "I have a new job and can't get off. You understand, right?" And, "I don't have the money right now, but if you give me another month, I will have it." In the 2nd case, she never had the money and I paid for the entire trip. Research what will happen to your points if (when) people drop out and make sure you are comfortable with the worst case situations.

separate resort reservations for each family group. Plan a few things together (dinner today, lunch tomorrow, FP together on Friday, desert party together on Saturday, etc.) beyond that, everyone does their own thing.

There is NO WAY that I would want to try to plan and travel as a pack of 28 people. Keeping three people in my family heading in the same direction and happy is enough of a challenge. I can't imagine even trying to do it with that many.

All good advice but it doesn't solve the housing question.

The best solution to the housing question is to have each family group book (and pay for) their own accommodations at the style/level/price that works best for them. Even if that means Grandma and Grandpa are at the Grand Floridian in a club level suite , and Uncle Bill and his family are at All Star Sports and Cousin Mary is at Port Orleans. A little space/distance away from the pack will be a GOOD thing. Trust me.

Another thing to consider is asking what everyone's preferences are. Some may want to be spread out and separate; some may want to be all in one house. You would also need to consider everyone's financial situation. If my extended family did this and chose to stay at a deluxe, I'm afraid we would have to decline going.

Maybe you can have everyone book rooms at one of the values for your set dates? If you went with AoA and Pop, you all could still be fairly close while allowing some variation in types of accommodations (regular rooms to suites), and a greater chance of being able to get all 28 people on these grounds. This would allow everyone to be on the property without you having to put up points when you may not have enough to begin with, then holding the bag if/when someone has to bail on the trip.

You may be able to do this with moderates, but they seem to be smaller, which would lessen the chance of getting everyone on the same propert(ies).

I don't know how you would do dinners with this. With a typical family reunion vacation, you would do a state park and potluck. I don't know how you would cook or where you could meet. Maybe call Disney directly about booking something like Mickey's Backyard BBQ or even a few other places for the mass group?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!