Need help finding inexpensive HP wand

corgi_monster

DIS Veteran
My daughter is two and is familiar with Harry Potter but isn't a huge fan yet. When she sees the other kids playing with their interactive wands I know she'll want to participate in the fun, but I really don't want to spend $50 on a wand that will be used for about an hour. Does anyone know where I can find a used, inexpensive wand?

I would have thought Ebay would be flooded with used wands that didn't get played with once families returned home but that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, most of the interactive wands cost more (b/c of shipping) on Ebay than they do the parks. I'm looking to spend no more than $30 including shipping. Am I missing something here? Are these wands collectible?

I got one at the Walmart in Orlando for short money. I just checked their website, I saw some cheap ones on there. They aren't the park ones, but if she's only 2? I would be too afraid she would hurl a real one out of the carriage when I wasn't looking.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother getting her an interactive one at that age, there may be a spell spot or two that she could do but doubtful she'll get most of them to work, you have to make a specific motion with the wand to do the spell and it is a different motion at each spot. You can't just point the wand and have something happen. Sometimes they are hard even for adults.

I have not seen any used ones for sale anywhere. There are witches and wizards working at universal walking around helping youngsters with the more difficult spells, they all carry wands and I'm sure if you asked nicely they would allow your daughter to try out a spell with their wand. Then you could see if she is even able to do it and if so then you could buy one.

$30 is almost $50. :) If you think you'll use it, I'd just budget for it. For us, the grandparents actually bought gift cards ahead of our trip as we went around the holidays. It was a great gift!
But, have you tried asking friends? We have lent our wands out to 3 different friends and families since we went. Happy to let them get played with vs just sitting at home! Hit your social media and see if anyone has one to lend. :)

I would definitely not put an interactive wand in the hands of a 2 year old - we've broken more than one wand tip. The tip is glass. At that age, she can wave any wand and not realize someone else is making the effect happen, so I would grab a plastic wand from Amazon or Target/Walmart. Heck, my dad made a gorgeous wand from a piece of wood.

Thank you for all your tips. I will try to borrow one from a friend. We are in Hawaii so most of our friends have visited either the Japan or Hollywood parks. Will wands from these parks work in Orlando?

Big box stores may have cheap wands in the Halloween costume section, if you can’t find one to borrow.

Wal-Mart has some that are nice looking with nice weight. They are not interactive, but they are less that $14.

I'd agree either a cheaper one from Walmart/Target or I've made them out of bamboo stakes meant for the garden and paper mache.

I don't know how crafty you are, but my 13 year old spent a lot of time last year making wands out of chopsticks. You create the texture with hot glue, then use paint to make it look like wood.

Honestly, for a two year old, I might be inclined to just give her a chopstick! ;)

I would definitely not put an interactive wand in the hands of a 2 year old - we've broken more than one wand tip. The tip is glass. At that age, she can wave any wand and not realize someone else is making the effect happen, so I would grab a plastic wand from Amazon or Target/Walmart. Heck, my dad made a gorgeous wand from a piece of wood.

Was thinking the same. I'd just look for a general inexpensive wand on Amazon or at Walmart or something. They could stand near another person that is doing the magic and probably not realize they aren't activating it. Also as others said they can be pretty hard to activate as well so your daughter would likely end up getting frustrated too trying to do it herself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter