Need help in San Diego/Coronado area

craig

Mouseketeer
Has anyone had any experience staying or dining at the Hotel Del Coronado? We're starting out on Coronado Island staying at the Del, DD8 & DS4 will be with us. We're arriving on a Sunday. I was thinking about their Sunday brunch in the Crown Room. Should I get a reservation?

We'll spend our first day at the Del & explore Coronado Island. The next day we're going to SD Zoo & staying that night at the Holiday Inn by the bay. The third day we're off to DL via Amtrak.

Any ideas or suggestions on dining or things not to be missed while in SD/Coronado? We're not planning on renting a car.

Thanks!

:sunny:

You're going to have a great time at the Del! The brunch is great and you definitely need to make reservations. They are very strict about their dress code for the brunch, no shorts, etc. Also, in the hotel they have a really good ice cream shop! Have fun!

Welcome to our home! I think I posted this somewhere else but if you are staying at the Hotel Del, make sure you get a room in the newer towers. The older building is historically interesting but the rooms are tiny. It is always better to make reservations at the Crown room because anyone can eat there and it may get busy. The Hotel Del's buffet has a cute kids area. What not to miss here? Well, I'd try and see the Lamb Players' Theatre production of something, but with the kids they may not tolerate the late night production. It is awesome and the theatre is within walking distance of the hotel. You can't go to Coronado without eating a Moo Time ice cream. (There's a Cold Stone Creamery at the ferry landing but they are all over.) I love the coffee ice cream. The hotel has a small shop but the one in town has more variety. The hotel has tennis but also open to the public so getting court time may prove problematic. Definitely walk the beach. The sand is the cleanest around. They spend a lot of time grooming the beach. (Don't forget. If it rains, do not get in the water. We get runoff from Tiajuana. Yuck.) If you are into organic food, we have Boney's Market at the end of town. You definitely want to check out the ferry landing and you can take the ferry over to downtown San Diego. Over there you can check out the Maritime museum with the Berkeley, Star of India and the Surprise (ship used on Master and Commander). You can also look into a dinner cruise while you are at the ferry landing on the San Diego side. Back on Coronado you can rent a bike and toodle around the island if you want. We have a great park Southwest of the landing. Just don't go to the one next to the rec center (south of the Hotel Del) at night. There has been a history of gang activity. Oh! We have a brand new recreation center which has rock climbing, swimming, work-out center, indoor basketball court and more. I haven't had a chance to check it all out yet. We have a lot of great restaurants on the island. We love Miguel's Cantina (Mexican food). We have three coffee shops in town. I personally like 1149 Cafe which is also walking distance from the hotel, but there's another popular one near the landing and of course, Starbucks. We are awaiting the grand opening of a Victorian Tea Room (which will have antiques) but it is not open yet. And if you are avid runners, you can take a run down the Silver Strand or take your rented bikes. It's a great workout to go all the way down the Strand which you can see our Great Snowy Egrets. (white cranes). Sometimes we get a ton of them and they are so beautiful. If you don't want to spend the big bucks on the Sunday buffet at the Hotel Del, the Loews also has a buffet for less money but you need to take a taxi to get there or take the bikes. It's a bit of a ride, maybe 1/2 hour or so depending on if you get the bike cart or individual. I forgot to mention the tour bus! We have a cute mobile trolley that gives tours. Your little kids may be bored though.

Sorry my comments did not flow very well. I had a long day at work. Have a great time here on your visit and welcome!

Yes, make the reservation for the Sunday brunch at the Del. It is very popular. Here is a picture of the dessert tables.

f8144ddc.jpg

Here is one of the Crown Room.

f8144d37.jpg

They really pack everyone in there. Try to get an early reservation if possible.

What is the approximate cost for Sunday brunch at the Crown Room for Adults & Children?

Our flight is supposed to land about 10:30A on Sunday, June 4th. I was thinking about making a ressie for noon.

We have full ocean front view. Should we request to be in the newer building or does it really matter?

The regular price is $54.50 for adults, 2-6 $9.95 and 7-12 $21.95. You can make ressies online at http://www.hoteldel.com/dining/crown.asp

As far as requests, There are full oceanview rooms in all of the areas. I had a boss that stayed there once and she said scathing things about it. She stayed in one of the older rooms and paid a LOT of money for it. She said the curtains were so dirty they were probably never cleaned since they were hung. She was very disappointed. I recommend to everyone not to stay there. But then I heard about the new towers and how nice they were. Being in a tiny room with kids would make me nuts. Check out the layout and make your decision from there. I still think the tower would be better since I've walked through them and it doesn't have that "Victorian" feel to it. However, I would stay at one of their residence suites. lol.

I've seen some pretty bad reviews from Tripadvisor.com and they recommend getting the suite too. They also complain about it being a lot of money for an average hotel room and they had the Tower. They have never seen the "Victorian" rooms. If you have ever been on a tour of old houses and seen the little rooms that people used to live in, that's the size of the rooms in the old part of the hotel. Did I mention the Loews was nice? Hee hee.

You aren't going to be at the hotel long enough to care anyway. It's a night's sleep and with an ocean view which is totally breathtaking. Don't worry about the room and have a great time!

I just read that the full oceanview rooms were primarily in the tower and cabana buildings so you don't need to worry. They are the largest rooms other than the suites.

When I was in San Diego in February I took the Old Town Trolley Tour which I really enjoyed. If you don't have a car, you'll still be able to take it, because one of the stops is the Hotel Del Coranado and you can get on the tour at any of the stops.

It takes you all around the city of San Diego and you can get off at any of the stops and then get back on another tour bus when you're finished. The buses come around every 30 minutes or so.

I got off the bus at the Hotel Del Coranado and stayed there for a few hours shopping at the hotel and eating on the patio overlooking the ocean. Don't know anything about the rooms, but I enjoyed my visit on the grounds.

Some of the other places you can visit on the trolley are:

Balboa Park
San Diego Zoo
Whaley House
Old Town
Gaslamp District
Maritime Museum

I started my tour at Balboa Park and got off at Old Town and Hotel Del Coranado...even though I didn't get off at the other stops it was great to see them as we drove by.

We stayed in the older part in June and absolutely loved it! No ocean view, just a view of the beautiful gardens. It is a very enchanting place and I thought that staying in the original building added to the ambience of this majestic place. We were traveling with another attorney who normally stays in LaJolla but decided to join us at the Del and was blown away. He also stayed in the original building. It is really just what you like. If you are into history and the real deal go for the original building, if you are into new then I guess go for the new buildings but from the outside it looks like a Holiday Inn to me.

I think I would like the cabana the best. I got to peek in one walking by one day. Very very nice! I read reports which said the main building is noisy but I think that was before all the "retrofitting" they did. Walking through the halls to the parking lot is noisy so I can imagine the rooms would be too. But as I said, the OP won't be staying there long enough to care. Hey, you may even run into Jaime Lee Curtis! She MC'd the Christmas presentation a few years ago. It was so cool! My husband LOVES her. lol.

The Hotel Del is beautiful no doubt. But for my money I always go to the Coronado Island Marriott. It is substaanially less expensive, more modern and has more comfortable rooms. Perhaps it is just sentimential (My Wife and I went there on our 1st date) but I always enjoy staying at the Marriott and just visiting the Del.

I just stopped by this morning to buy a gift certificate. All this talk about the Hotel Del made me want to take another look. I walked into the lobby and it was even more beautiful than I remembered it. The staff all said good morning to me and directed me to the gift shop. I found out that the Prince of Wales Restaurant was being remodelled and will become a new restaurant in May, 1500 OCEAN. I'm intrigued. I also interviewed a lady on the way to the parking lot. She said she stays at the hotel every time they go to Coronado and has stayed in both the tower and the main hotel and even though the rooms are smaller, prefers the historical feel to the older part. She also said their beds are very comfy! That's the most important thing. Right? lol.

The Del is wonderful! We ALWAYS stay in the old building. The new building is separate than the original building. It is not even victorian. If you are going for the ambience, ask for the old building. We have stayed here 4 times and our rooms have always been clean and wonderful. We have had brunch here many times and it was fantastic! I LOVE the Del. It can't hurt to have reservations in advance. Have a fantastic time! I am so envious!

Jen

The Glorietta Bay Inn is a former mansion that's right across the street from the Del:

http://www.gloriettabayinn.com/

There are two types of rooms at this hotel: the Mansion Rooms and the Contemporary Inn Rooms. The mansion rooms are soooo beautiful. DH and I stayed there once and it was like staying at a B&B. Both the mansion and contemporary rooms are reasonably priced considering where it's located. The Inn also has suites for families who need more room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter