• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

need help picking resort!!!

NicoleLarson

DIS Veteran
Here's the story. Want to go to WDW for a couple of days sometime between Jan. 1-5th. It will be me, DH, DD4, DS1. NO parks. Just want to look at XMas decor, celebrate DS 1 st bday with a character meal and relax. We will be returning to WDW at the end of Feb. for 8 days for my DD 5th bday. I currently have two reservations after checking everyday for the past several months. They are 3 days at SSR or 2 days GV/PV @ BWV. Both are studios. These are the only 2 DVC resorts that we haven't stayed at yet. (Doing a split for Feb trip BWV/WL). Which do you think would better suit our needs?

I'm not sure I see the point staying at BWV on a no park trip I'd probably pick SSR for the proximity to DTD

Here's the story. Want to go to WDW for a couple of days sometime between Jan. 1-5th. It will be me, DH, DD4, DS1. NO parks. Just want to look at XMas decor, celebrate DS 1 st bday with a character meal and relax. We will be returning to WDW at the end of Feb. for 8 days for my DD 5th bday. I currently have two reservations after checking everyday for the past several months. They are 3 days at SSR or 2 days GV/PV @ BWV. Both are studios. These are the only 2 DVC resorts that we haven't stayed at yet. (Doing a split for Feb trip BWV/WL). Which do you think would better suit our needs?

I might be biased, but I'm not one to drive around WDW if I can help it. But I'm not a huge fan of the buses, sooooo...since I like the holiday decorations at Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge best, I like BWV a little more than SSR because you can walk to Epcot monorail and take that over to GF or BLT (and take boat to WL from BLT).

Plus, same monorail can take you to go to character meals at one of the monorail resorts or you can go to the character breakfast at Cape May @ Beach Club (since you do not plan to go into any parks).

That said, if you're planning to drive everywhere while at WDW, I'd go with 3 days over 2 at WDW, and thus pick SSR. :drive:

EDIT TO ADD: I just saw PP's point, and I want to add that I'm not much of a fan of DTD yet, since DS is only 3 and stores are not so interesting to him. Yet.

I would do BWV for the decorations and boardwalk.

You are close to the YC, BC, and Dolphin. You can boat ride to DHS and take a bus to GF and WL.

DTD is under construction so it will be crowded and not as much fun. The bridge from SSR to DTD is closed.

:earsboy: Bill

I might be biased, but I'm not one to drive around WDW if I can help it. But I'm not a huge fan of the buses, sooooo...since I like the holiday decorations at Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge best, I like BWV a little more than SSR because you can walk to Epcot monorail and take that over to GF or BLT (and take boat to WL from BLT).

Plus, same monorail can take you to go to character meals at one of the monorail resorts or you can go to the character breakfast at Cape May @ Beach Club (since you do not plan to go into any parks).

That said, if you're planning to drive everywhere while at WDW, I'd go with 3 days over 2 at WDW, and thus pick SSR. :drive:

EDIT TO ADD: I just saw PP's point, and I want to add that I'm not much of a fan of DTD yet, since DS is only 3 and stores are not so interesting to him. Yet.

Since OP is not planning park days using the monorail would not work unless they have APs because otherwise they wuld be using a park day just to walk through EpCOT.

i would go with SSR since you can walk over to the DTD bus stop and get a bus to any other resort you want to visit. You could go to the BWV from there and then walk around to the BC, YC, Swan, Dolphin or go to one of the monorail resorts and visit them all and take the boat over to the WL. Three nights would allow for a more relaxed visit with two young children also i would think. Hope you have a wonderful time.

My two cents:

(We need a little image for that...)

I'm not a huge fan of DTD-- a short afternoon/year is enough for me. I also LOVE the GF and WL Christmas decorations (as well as the BC year round-- I often stop in for a rest in their little DVC tv lounge for a rest). I'd stay somewhere that's easy to resort hop. Which, from your two options looks like BWV would fit that need better. Agreed about the monorail though-- you can't walk to the monorail from BWV without using park admission. So you'd be easily resort hopping to the boardwalk resorts... then maybe taxi to breakfast at 1900 Park Fare and ride the monorail around for some Christmas views (oh! Then take the bus to WL and FW for some of that experience!).

I just got back from a 4 day (but only one park day) trip and it was DH's favorite by far. He didn't know you can relax at WDW! I guess because my commando-style touring doesn't allow for that!) :rotfl2:

Since OP is not planning park days using the monorail would not work unless they have APs because otherwise they wuld be using a park day just to walk through EpCOT.

i would go with SSR since you can walk over to the DTD bus stop and get a bus to any other resort you want to visit. You could go to the BWV from there and then walk around to the BC, YC, Swan, Dolphin or go to one of the monorail resorts and visit them all and take the boat over to the WL. Three nights would allow for a more relaxed visit with two young children also i would think. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Make sure to check-- my last trip (over labor day) the path behind congress park was closed. (for construction) There is another route on the other side of SSR that goes to the west end, but I don't know how long the walk is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter