Need help quick-Tampa vs MCO??

Dragon0525

Mouseketeer
Delta has a special from DEN to Tampa for $221.50 Nov 30th-Dec 9. This is the lowest airfare I have seen to Florida from Denver. Going to MCO from Denver is $450-$550 per person. When we went in Jan. the lowest fare we could find was about $375 per person.

Has anyone flown into Tampa that can tell me how the drive is? I think it's an hour does that sound about right? Also does anyone know if renting a car there is as easy as getting one at MCO - preferably National EA?

Need to decide quick since I don't know how long the fare will be available. Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

I don't think National has EA at Tampa ... about 90 minutes would be a better, more conservative estimate to account for traffic ... you'd have to be flying to make it in an hour ...

Tampa has EA service. The airport is actually a little easier to get out of than MCO. It's about 70 miles to Disney. Although I'd allow more time, many people have made it to Disney in under an hour.

We just got back on 4/26 from WDW flying into Tampa! This airport is great. It is a manageable size. We picked up our bags and walked right out the door to the National EA, picked a car, and were on the road in minutes! We landed on a Sunday morning. The drive over was a little over an hour. Very easy!!!!

I highly recommend flying into Tampa if you plan to rent a car!

Coming back we allowed 2 hours to return and needed it by the time we found a gas station and filled up the car. HINT: Get off at Ybor City for a fillup, easier than finding one as you get into the city. There was a lot of traffic on our return as we were nearing rush hour. However most of it was going on the bridge over the bay and none was going in the airport. Car return was very quick and the ticket counters were on the same level as car return.

Any questions, feel free to e-mail me!
GO FOR TAMPA!!!!

Having flown into both airports multiple times, I would choose Tampa over Orlando every time.

Rental cars are better...shorter lines at counters and they do have EA which I've used.
Airports are laid out in a similar manner.
No toll roads in/out of Tampa airport.
The drive from Tampa to Orlando is a piece of cake.

I live here, I know how it is. Tampa International is really good. The only downside is tampa traffic leaving the airport. Just be patient, and drive defensively. Also make sure to read the road signs, there are several exit-only exits on the way before you get to the one to head onto I-275 into Tampa. The one downside is that Tampa International is in a crowded traffic area. Traffic from a major expressway and traffic from the airport merge into one, so it can get backed up. Also, traffic gets very congested heading onto I-4 from I-275 (malfunction junction) so just be patient until you can get onto I-4 and start heading out of Tampa. The rest is pretty easy...until you start entering Orlando. :)
Once you are out of Tampa, it's about an hour.

We also flew into Tampa because it was cheaper than MCO. Also, we found that renting a car in Tampa at National was cheaper than MCO.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. We use Tampa often when the rates are better. In fact we just came back from Easter week and went in and out of Tampa from Boston because we saved $400!!! We love Tampa. It is a great airport. The drive is about an hour and not bad at all. The above posts are correct, the rental cars are much easier at Tampa. If you are renting a car anyway, don't hesitate to try Tampa, I think you will be very pleased.

I am glad to hear all these great opinions of Tampa. We are also flying into Tampa (instead of MCO)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!