Need infant product assistance

Claudia1

DIS Veteran
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
My scenario:
I know that this is not particular to just my family! With a newborn that needs warm bottles but a family on the go, I am looking for a bottle warmer that is battery operated or chemical in nature. Although I am often in the van (and a car adapter would work), I would like to find another alternative for ball games, etc....

I am just not comfortable in heating a bottle at home & keeping it warm for 2 hours. I am also not thrilled with the idea of using a public restroom sink to fill with hot water and immerse the bottle.

What I have found:
On a Web search, I have found that some companies sell chemical heating pads (like the medical profession uses) and one company in Canada that sells a possible product. That company doesn't describe its action or length of use.

What I need to know:
Is there anything on the market that would do what I want to do?

Thanks!

Babies don't really need the milk warm, room temp will do. We used the powder kind of formula and just carried the [pre-measured water with us in her bottles in the diaper bag. No need to keep plain water cold, therefore no need to "warm up". When DD was ready, we just added the right amount of powder, shook it up, and she was good to go. SOOOO CONVENIENT!!!

Good Luck!

For babies # 1 and 2 we did the same as ckr. Worked great and bottle was fresh every time.

#3 was breastfed.

When she takes room temperature formula, she spits up and it fussy. When it is lukewarm, she is as good as gold.

It must be a comfort thing with her......

If I can't find what I need, then I will take a sealed bottle of water with me and keep it warm. That would not have any risk of bacterial growth, at least, and then I would mix it with the powder.

Thanks for the input!

My DS was one of those babies who did not like room temp. formula, so what I did was bring a thermos will boiling water and the powder formula premeasured in the bottle. As time passes the water cools slightly, but stays warm enough for a warm bottle of formula.

:bounce::wave::bounce:

I didn't heat my babies bottles either. Our pediatrician told us there was really no need.

Nevermind. I just saw your second post. :)

I like the powdered formula idea.

Didn't have this issue myself; breastfed so my baby's milk was always ready at 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

Get one of those lunch box size thermos and fill it with warm water, then mix the powder formula as needed , that worked for me.

I did see years ago that there was a thing you could wrap around a bottle, and use a cigarette lighter adapter in the car to warm it up.

There is a store here called the Right Start which carries that type of stuff.

I don't know if you will find this....if I am at our local Walmart tonight I will look for you.
We used an automobile bottle warmer. We had a glass bottle for it...we would put water into the bottle then inserted the bottle into the warmer. Once the bottle was warm we would then add it to our formula bottle (we used powder). You plugged it into your cigarette lighter. Our DDs were the same, they would spit up more if the formula wasn't nice and warm. This warmer went through 3 children (my sister's and mine) before it started to show signs of wear and we had to get rid of it.

Originally posted by Claudia1
When she takes room temperature formula, she spits up and it fussy. When it is lukewarm, she is as good as gold.

It must be a comfort thing with her......

You probably think it's easier for you to give her what she wants, but I think you'll be stuck warming her bottles for the next year! You might want to lower the temperature of the bottles she gets now little by little while she's young to get her used to the lower temperatures. That way, in a fe weeks, she'll be ready for the room temperature stuff.

My two also "require" warm bottles. I have had success both with the warmer that plugs into a car lighter, but it can take a bit for it to get warm and they are impatient, and also by packing very warm water in a thermos and mixing with powder when I needed it. If the thermos water was too hot I just added some of the water I always have for the 2yr old and I to the bottle to cool it a bit.

We have a prince lionheart on-the-go bottle warmer. You wrap the bottle on it then place it in it's cloth bag. When you are ready to warm the bottle this is a small stick in the wrap that you snap. This creates a chemical reaction that begins to warm. It take a little while to warm the bottle but it works. It is re-usable but you need to boil it for 15 minutes and then it is ready to go again. here is the website that sells them:
http://www.princelionheart.com/travel6.html#On The Go Warmer

We used the thermos with hot water and if we didn't do that then we would stop at a restaurant and ask for a cup of hot water. The bottles warm up quick in boiling hot water.

Claudia, while I was in the grocery store today I came across two Gerber products that warm bottles (only reusable though). One plugged into a standard outlet and the other plugged into a car outlet. They were both about $15 each. I figured if I saw them in my grocery store you should be able to find one in a Target/K-Mart/Wal-Mart type of place. If you can't find one near by I'd be more than happy to send one your way :)

In addition to just adding warm thermos water to powder, you can also immerse a prepared bottle in a large thermos of warm water. It would need to be one of the big sport sizes.

Thanks, everybody!

Tigger9, that is exactly what I am looking for! Something to take the chill off a cold bottle without needing any cords.

Does it heat well? Evenly?

I will probably still use a warm water bottle & dry powder at times, but this one will do in the bleachers & places when mixing could be a problem.

(In case you are wondering why this is such a big deal to me, remember that I need to be alert for any problems with my DD. Disappearing into a bathroom or leaving the bleachers to warm a bottle could leave her dangling. As long as I know where she is at all times and she knows where I am, we are OK. I don't want to leave her to fix a bottle or send her to do it. Also, this will give her some freedom as the Mom. She can feed her DD without trying to cope with mixing & sanitation issues in a public place. DD is a great little mother! She just needs to have things like this simplified for her to continue to met her daughter's needs. Adding the steps of mixing & juggling a baby, even with me there, could task her. She wants to take the lead and I want to give her as much as she can handle. As a custodial grandparent, my role is to help them both. This is a simple way to do solve the problem.)

My boys would never drink the powdered formula. Also I didn't like having to mix it... it seemed to always have lumps and get clogged in the nipple. So when we were away from home I used the small 8 oz. ready to feed cans. Just pop the can open and pour it in the bottle. My boys never minded room temperature... I think it's just whatever they get use to.

Those 8 oz. cans are awesome at WDW too. I don't know what I would have done without them. ;)

They are expensive though... a 6 pack runs around $10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter