Need new meal ideas dvc

I made the hobo dinners tonight. So delicious! We put ground turkey, sliced potatoes, carrots, peppers and fresh corn in them. A little seasoning salt and butter. Forty minutes on convection 375. Really good. This won't just be a dvc meal. The kids assembled them and ate them up.

I made the hobo dinners tonight. So delicious! We put ground turkey, sliced potatoes, carrots, peppers and fresh corn in them. A little seasoning salt and butter. Forty minutes on convection 375. Really good. This won't just be a dvc meal. The kids assembled them and ate them up.

Good to know, thanks for that. We usually make garlic shrimp and linquini. Have also steamed lobster tails. We will look at the weekly flyers from Publix and winn dixie and plan from there. First and foremost....as soon as we walk in the door, I do the "kitchen utensil check" and immediately call housekeeping if we are missing any item....it is amazing what people will walk away with. If you are not sure about what items should be in the kitchen, one of the upper cabinets' door should have a list posted on it.

We do breakfast in the room, make sandwiches before we leave and put in fridge to use later when we come back and chill by the pool. Our treat is to have dinner out most nights, but we will also pick up frozen pizza at Winn Dixie or Publix. Wish more resorts had gas grills (I think they are only at Poly, GF and Aluani) but we have grilled burgers and steaks at BLT and BWV....frozen fries go in the oven or baked potatoes in the micro or oven...steam fresh veggies....no time wasted sitting in a restaurant. We've enjoyed our meals outdoors and in our villa. Aluana was a real trip!!! Some of the locals are real grilling kings and queens!!!!! Pick up grilling utensils at the DVC community halls...I think they also sell the charcoal. If you buy it at the store make sure you don't buy the kind with lighter fluid....gross.

Good to know, thanks for that. We usually make garlic shrimp and linquini. Have also steamed lobster tails. We will look at the weekly flyers from Publix and winn dixie and plan from there. First and foremost....as soon as we walk in the door, I do the "kitchen utensil check" and immediately call housekeeping if we are missing any item....it is amazing what people will walk away with. If you are not sure about what items should be in the kitchen, one of the upper cabinets' door should have a list posted on it.

We do breakfast in the room, make sandwiches before we leave and put in fridge to use later when we come back and chill by the pool. Our treat is to have dinner out most nights, but we will also pick up frozen pizza at Winn Dixie or Publix. Wish more resorts had gas grills (I think they are only at Poly, GF and Aluani) but we have grilled burgers and steaks at BLT and BWV....frozen fries go in the oven or baked potatoes in the micro or oven...steam fresh veggies....no time wasted sitting in a restaurant. We've enjoyed our meals outdoors and in our villa. Aluana was a real trip!!! Some of the locals are real grilling kings and queens!!!!! Pick up grilling utensils at the DVC community halls...I think they also sell the charcoal. If you buy it at the store make sure you don't buy the kind with lighter fluid....gross.
Very fancy! We really enjoy cooking in the villa. My kids have great memories of movie nights, eating home cooked meals. I don't mind the cooking at all. I like your make ahead sandwich idea.

As someone who also cooks in the villa, I also check the utensils...and make sure all 4 burners & stove are operational. :)

What a great reminder -- we used to do the hobo dinners as a kid but we called them care packages. Haven't thought about that in years. Thanks for the reminder!

Depending on how you travel.....

- Make Chilli and freeze it.
- Scrambled eggs with a side of Avocado toast. Lots of good protein and fats there.
- Quesadillas...Chicken cheese, and tortillas...pretty simple.
- Stir Fry.

Question from here.
Where do you buy the meat to cook these meals?
We normally do the bacon/pancakes, lunch meat type meals at the Villa, but find meat prices in Orlando to be insane compared to our part of the world. Insane to the point where it's about the same price to eat in the park than to buy steak/chicken and cook it.

Love the ideas, but could use some help finding quality, affordable meat. That leaves Walmart out.

I second the idea of making sloppy joes, taco meat or pulled pork ahead of time and freezing. Then just thaw in the microwave and serve :)

Question from here.
We normally do the bacon/pancakes, lunch meat type meals at the Villa, but find meat prices in Orlando to be insane compared to our part of the world. Insane to the point where it's about the same price to eat in the park than to buy steak/chicken and cook it.

Love the ideas, but could use some help finding quality, affordable meat. That leaves Walmart out.
Publix is our go-to store at WDW, we don't have them up here. A week or so before a trip we check their sales and figure out a shopping list (their app is great).
We lucked out when we were there last month, Publix had chicken breast BOGO so we bought 2 packages. Honestly, on vacation we figure we just have to spend a little more on groceries than we normally would at home, but that's ok. We're eating healthier than if we ate out every meal.
We never would buy beef or pork, though, so I can't comment on those prices. But chicken breast at Publix is comparable to our prices here.

Question from here.

We use Garden Grocer. I will say the meat is not that expensive compared to home (Canada). The quality is not as good though. I just deal with it. It does influence the recipes I cook though. My bigger complaint is with produce. I have yet to find nice produce. Lettuce is the worst. I adapt to the poor produce by using frozen fruit, bananas seem to be okay, dried fruit. It's not like home.

I would imagine Whole Foods might have some good quality meat. We don't have a car and they don't deliver anymore.

We save a fortune cooking in the villa. Literally hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

We have Tiffany Towncar pick us up and do the free grocery stop which is Publix. We have been doing this for so long, we kind of have a system. They do have organic produce, milk, eggs and meat. Some is pricey, some is the same as home. Regardless, even if the organic ground beef is $9/lb, I can still feed my family in a villa for about $20. Is that more than at home? Yes, but I would guess around 10% of the cost of a TS at Disney.

Thank you for the grocery responses.
Thought that Publix might be the answer.
We'll check ads a few days before arrival, we're a group of 7 flying into Melbourne, renting a van($106), and driving to Disney in Oct. We're saving nearly $800 on flights by flying into MLB from Louisville. It's crazy.
Plan is to drop everyone off at Disney, then hit a store9or 2 if needed) to load up the condo.

We're used to the $1.49/lb boneless, skinless chicken and under $5/lb sirloin steak prices here in KY. Just was wondering if there was somewhere we might be missing that we should be shopping upon arrival to Orlando. We don't do Walmart meat and prefer Lucky's/Fresh Thyme/Meijer here.

I second the Quesadillas idea. You can throw just about anything in those. Beef, chicken, pork, cheese, beans, eggs, bacon, or whatever you have around. I see these as a variation of the hobo meal, where you can make these to use up left-overs.

Sounds like a great trip!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter