Need of advice for a Friends Family Reunion at FW over Christmas, Several logistic ? ADA ? Updated 11/30

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
Hi everyone...

My friend needs quite a bit of help... Really on what she is asking me ,I don't have any idea on what to tell her... So I am turning to the experts here...

So a bit of the back story... She has a very large blended family, so getting everyone together is challenging... Somehow they managed to pull it off for this year. Every year they move the destination, to where different family members live, so that the same people are not always having to travel as far.. I suggested them renting a couple of houses, with the family dynamic it basically is impossible... As well not everyone will be there are the same time... Everyone however will be together on Christmas day...

So my friends Mom and Dad, and special need adult sister will be at Fort Wilderness from 12/19 to after the first of the year.. total 3 - they have a 40+ foot, 5th wheel... they got a the largest site they could..
2 Sister's and their family including grandkids are staying at CBR... I think the total is 14
1 brother his family and grandkids are staying at a DVC in a 2 bedroom - total 5 - I think at Wilderness Lodge is their home resort...
My friend and her family plus grandson are locals and Staying 2 nights at DVC... Dec 25th through 12/27 - total 4 -
2 Brothers their families plus one newborn grandson. They are locals and only coming over for Christmas day... Total 9

Okay on with the show...or the questions...

There is 1 picnic table per site? Is there anyway to get more?

With their Sister that is Special needs, taking a shower in the 5th wheel is a no go... Several reasons, she does not do well in tight spaces, and she is very large person, and needs assistance with showering ( she will just stand under the water, and not actually wash herself, she is resistant to showering, yet loves to swim) ...she does not require a wheelchair or any other type of mobility device.. In the comfort stations are there ADA showers? where someone can assist her with showering, and dressing and privacy to do so?

Is there any pool that you can just walk in and out of... no steps or ladders?

So everyone is going to take turns taking their special needs sister into the parks? They will need to pick her up at the campsite then bring her back when the park close's, and most likely help with getting her a shower at the end of the day... Thoughts? suggestions? logistic?

So with this big of crowd, there is no way that they can all park in the campsite... and they are going to need a ton of chairs, and tables... If they want to drop off tables, and chairs and canopy for everyone to sit under? So will they let them drive in, so to the site and drop off, and then leave? Or will her dad have to go out and then them load the "stuff' from their truck, into his truck, and them ride in with him, and then take it all out... then reverse to get them back to their trucks... ?

Then dealing with getting all the food there. Anyone suggestions... From what I gather, my friend and her 2 brothers that are local are bring the bulk of the food, her 2 sister, are getting all the drinks, paper goods, some type of tray's and desserts from Publix, Her brother staying at the DVC, is going to be making some hot casserole dishes...? My question is how are they going to get all the food into Fort Wilderness? suggestion and thoughts...

Any insights, suggestions, or thoughts are appreciated...

Hi everyone - Just a update...11/30

After a bunch of discussion, they decided to have lunch somewhere at Disney Springs, several reservation at the same restaurant...I made it clear to them that they will be split up, no way they can accommodate that many people, and going for lunch when they open might work out best. I thought was a much better solution than everyone trying to get everyone into the fort with everything that they would need to pull it off a complete Christmas dinner. As well some of the sibling wanted to just stop for lunch and spend the rest of the day in the parks.. So in the end it will all work out...

They did find some pictures on line, and the comfort stations are going to work out great for their sister. Plenty of room and privacy...

They worked out a schedule for who will be taking their sister on what days into the parks.. So the only questions are now is the best way for them to pick up and drop off their sister each morning and evening? Suggestions please?...
Can anyone leave their vehicle in the overflow parking lot? so for her brother and their families, can they park the truck in the overflow lot, and then pick her up, and use the buses for the day getting to and from the parks? I think the goal is keeping it streamlined for her, from the camp ground to the parks and back again simple... thoughts?

As always Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Wow, thats a lot to think about. And a large crowd to boot. I didnt check but im sure the confert stations will be adaquit for an ada shower, and room inside for help. The pool at the for is not deep. And as such has staires on the one side. The other stuff is hard. With the covaid ongoing , who knows. I would call to see if they allow guests now. ( not sure on that). There is no way you will have room on site for all those cars. Maybe a few cars and a large camper. If they let you in there should be no problem dropping off stuff like chaires and food. And tables, usally if you have people in a campsite anything needed in addtion to the 1 pick nick table is on you. Im sure helping out and dropping off of a guest that needs it will be ok also. There is overflow parking at the for that guests were able to use. Addtionally, you could use disney transportation. You are talking about 35 people regularly at a campsite dailly. Thats a lot of people, and who knows if disney will let it fly. If they keep track of guests, thats if they let them in, you may not be able to do it. best bet is to call and ask them. Disclamer I have no experiance having a large group come into the fort.

First, there are ADA/oversized shower stalls on both the men's and women's sides of the Comfort Stations. Each side has 3 regular and 1 ADA stalls with doors that lock, etc.

Second, the two pools both have steps IIRC. I don't recall if the main Meadow pool has a powered seat that lowers/raises people.

Third, that many people, chairs, food, and canopies means cars will have to be parked not at the campsite. Or maybe just one. If some folks can come from Wilderness Lodge on the bus that runs to the Settlement Bus Depot and then transfer to a Fort internal bus, that is less traffic too. At Christmas time the Fort makes use of all space to park extra vehicles, cargo trailers, and the like. So the main Fort lot is packed, the overflow lot is packed, the small grass lot next to the old FW Kennel (now used for the horse ride checkin) is packed, and the big grass field down by the hitch/unhitch area is used for parking. And if THOSE are all full people are re-directed by Security to drive to Wilderness Lodge, park there, and take the bus. Simply put, FW parking is CRAZY at Christmas.

Fourth, I'm not clear from your description how often the group is getting together to eat. Every night? Is Christmas Day the only time during the trip? Frequently? Doing the dropoff, park the car, ride bus to campsite, etc. takes time and effort. The shuttle option is not a good option if I'm the shuttle driver/host. If the guests can get in the Fort gate, they can drive to the site, dropoff, park, and get back. The host is generally busy by that point.

Generally non-Fort guests can get past the Security guard if they tell him, "we're here to see the Smith family in site 1027" for example which he will verify and usually let's them in. But he may give instructions if parking is difficult. But generally, guests can get in if they provide site name/number details.

Your friend should really think about if the Fort is the best place to do all the gathering. With some of the attendees staying at DVC units or other accomodations, they might be better host locations (or at least be as possible as a FW campsite would be). Or the two local brothers.

Those are my thoughts.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

When we were there this last time, we had 35 or so for the Dismeet dinner. There was one table on site, one 5th wheel, about 38 ft long, several smaller folding tables for food, and everyone brought their own chair and that took up all the room on the site. It was in a premium site also.
it was ok for one night, I can't imagine trying to do that every day.
What are your plans if it rains ?? If it is colder ?

PaHunter has a very good point about the weather. Last year we were doing the Golf Cart Parade in a cold wet drizzle. The rain cover we bought paid for itself that week before Christmas.

First, there are ADA/oversized shower stalls on both the men's and women's sides of the Comfort Stations. Each side has 3 regular and 1 ADA stalls with doors that lock, etc.

Second, the two pools both have steps IIRC. I don't recall if the main Meadow pool has a powered seat that lowers/raises people.

Third, that many people, chairs, food, and canopies means cars will have to be parked not at the campsite. Or maybe just one. If some folks can come from Wilderness Lodge on the bus that runs to the Settlement Bus Depot and then transfer to a Fort internal bus, that is less traffic too. At Christmas time the Fort makes use of all space to park extra vehicles, cargo trailers, and the like. So the main Fort lot is packed, the overflow lot is packed, the small grass lot next to the old FW Kennel (now used for the horse ride checkin) is packed, and the big grass field down by the hitch/unhitch area is used for parking. And if THOSE are all full people are re-directed by Security to drive to Wilderness Lodge, park there, and take the bus. Simply put, FW parking is CRAZY at Christmas.

Fourth, I'm not clear from your description how often the group is getting together to eat. Every night? Is Christmas Day the only time during the trip? Frequently? Doing the dropoff, park the car, ride bus to campsite, etc. takes time and effort. The shuttle option is not a good option if I'm the shuttle driver/host. If the guests can get in the Fort gate, they can drive to the site, dropoff, park, and get back. The host is generally busy by that point.

Generally non-Fort guests can get past the Security guard if they tell him, "we're here to see the Smith family in site 1027" for example which he will verify and usually let's them in. But he may give instructions if parking is difficult. But generally, guests can get in if they provide site name/number details.

Your friend should really think about if the Fort is the best place to do all the gathering. With some of the attendees staying at DVC units or other accommodations, they might be better host locations (or at least be as possible as a FW campsite would be). Or the two local brothers.

Those are my thoughts.

Bama Ed

Op here...

On the 4th point... yes they are all only getting together for Christmas Day lunch...then everyone will filter through while they are here when they can...

Glad to hear about the Comfort station showers, that will make it much easier for them.. and the pools, as long as she can walk in and not have to use a ladder or stairs she will be okay... so that will work out great...

My friend said that her parents, are not going into the parks except once or twice the whole trip.. and that they rest of the siblings are going to take turns taking their special needs sister into the parks and keeping her busy while they are here. She said that her parents are looking for some type of living arrangements here for their sister, they have found a few places that would meet her needs now and in the future, and there is a spot open at the one that they really want her to go into... They want her here and close to all the siblings.. No matter what issues that they have with each other ( all the siblings), they all love and agree to pitch in and take care of their sister with the special needs..
Her daily care is becoming to much for their parents, and there are some serious behavior problems that she has started having, exhibiting, and acting out on... as well as her overall health is in decline, and she need more medical supervision than her parents can provide... As well her parents are in their very early 80's... and the doctors are telling them its time for them to get her situated, so that she can get use to it... Her parents are taking a cross country trip in the RV in which they have planned to do forever, now is their time to relax, and enjoy life. So they are practicing for it with this trip..

As always Thanks for your info...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter