Need reassurance - child with autism

LiLPrincess

Mouseketeer
We’re planning our first trip with our children and grandchildren. Our grandson will be 7 at the time of our trip and has autism. We’re excited but also somewhat overwhelmed with the unknown. He’s non-verbal, doesn’t communicate at all, not potty trained, and can quickly get away. He loves Mickey Mouse clubhouse and Toodles. We can’t wait to see how he responds to Mickey.

Are there resorts or restaurants that would be better choices? We thought a resort with an interior hall would be a better option than doors that open to the outside. We are thinking of renting a stroller for him. Are there travel agents that specialize in special needs? Do we need one?

Thank you so much for any lessons learned, tips and tricks. Our trip is over 2 years away and I’m sure much will change between now and then.

We’re planning our first trip with our children and grandchildren. Our grandson will be 7 at the time of our trip and has autism. We’re excited but also somewhat overwhelmed with the unknown. He’s non-verbal, doesn’t communicate at all, not potty trained, and can quickly get away. He loves Mickey Mouse clubhouse and Toodles. We can’t wait to see how he responds to Mickey.

Are there resorts or restaurants that would be better choices? We thought a resort with an interior hall would be a better option than doors that open to the outside. We are thinking of renting a stroller for him. Are there travel agents that specialize in special needs? Do we need one?

Thank you so much for any lessons learned, tips and tricks. Our trip is over 2 years away and I’m sure much will change between now and then.
as far as resorts go as much as I love the cabins at Fort Wilderness remember there is a second door outside from the bedroom which can not be locked from inside. not good for a runner but I love that they get you away from all the excitement of the parks. the interior halls do have doors that can be opened without your band, think stair cases. the main thing I tell every parent/grandparent is make sure you have a picture on your phone each day as you head to parks so you can always know what he is wearing. take a new picture if you have to have him change clothes during the day. the stroller is a good idea but remember at that age you might be looking at a special needs stroller based on his size then as your trip is over 2 years away. assuming Disney still has at that time look into the " stroller as a wheelchair " tag so you can take stroller in line with you. also look into the DAS "card" to cut down on waiting in line but it doesnt let you skip the line or go to the front of the line. ask his teachers closer to the trip for any advice they can give you to help prepare him. visit small local theme parks so he learns how theme parks work. if one is close enough get a season pass there and go often and build up time spent there. practice eating out so that is also not new to him. most of all plan to take it slow and not try to do everything in one trip, go at his speed and allow for down time away from the parks

I have no experience, but here are some thoughts.

If he is overwhelmed with the unknown:
1) Have him watch videos of rides he is likely to go on so he will get familiar
2) Has he interacted with any large characters before? E.g. at Chuck E Cheese or another amusement park?
3) Can you take him on any local rides? Like on a boardwalk or an inside amusement park or local theme park to see how he does?

He may get overstimulated:
  • Definitely have/rent him a stroller
  • Bring a blanket/towel so he can create a Cave inside for himself
  • Get him used to headphones so he can watch a video/play a game if he isn't up for a ride/show
Bathroom:
  • Find out where the family bathrooms are if he needs a change.
  • Bring extra change of clothing

Rides
Figure out what is the plan if he can't/won't go on a ride.
Take turns staying with him?
Do the "baby swap"?

Hotel
Be flexible. Your expectation should not be that he will love everything about DIsney. It should be that he hates it and wants to go back to the room. Be prepared for that. Then anything that he does like is a bonus. Who would go back? I would choose a hotel it is easy to get to. Maybe a monorail hotel (if affordable).

Flexibility

Introduce him to things slowly... Maybe first just look at characters from afar. Then maybe get closer before another time meeting one in person. Same thing with rides..maybe he has watched a video. Then show him the ride (if possible).

Running
Maybe you need one of those "backpacks" with a leash so that he can't get away.

Restaurants
What may be interesting to you maybe overstimulating to him. What type of restaurants can he handle at home?

I just wanted to address the bolded. He does communicate. All the time. His behavior is his communication. Running away is communication. This is just something that nags at me as a parent to autistic kids who are now teenagers. All people with autism find a way to communicate, you just have to look for it. Hope this helps you be a better grandparent to your grandson.

Anyway, my #1 recommendation is to use the Disability Access Service. It is an amazing tool that can allow your visit to be more enjoyable.

Watch LOTS AND LOTS of Disney World videos on You Tube. Watch plane travel videos if there will be a plane ride involved. Watch videos of whatever resort you choose, and any restaurants you make ADRs for. Watch videos of the different transportation modes at WDW. Google images and You Tube are your friends here. You can use these images to make a social story slide show with embedded videos. My kids used to love this kind of planning tool. They would watch them over and over and then felt more comfortable when it was time to go.

As much as possible, give him visuals so he will know what to expect. Autistic people generally DO NOT like surprises or uncertainty. Prepare him for the weather and discuss what you will do if it rains, or there is thunder and lightning. Prepare him for waiting. Prepare him for rides potentially breaking down and discuss what you can so do instead.

Bring ear defenders. WDW is a loud place. Bring a stroller. It can be specially tagged at Guest Relations to be designated as a wheelchair so it can be used in lines.

Assign someone to be ON him at all times and communicate effectively so the adults always know who is specifically watching him at all times. Don't let yourself get distracted and assume someone else is watching him. This will be a team effort among the adults. This is especially important since he tends to elope.

Finally, follow his lead as much as is practical. Do not push him beyond his limits and if he is showing signs that he is DONE, honor that and go back to the resort.

I recommend a resort with the indoor hallways simply because they are more peaceful overall and feel more removed from other people generally. You will want to pick a GOOD resort that you will all be happy to spend a LOT of time at, because your grandson may end up only tolerating a few hours in the parks per day. Make sure the resort has a lot going for it for the adults to have some fun too. A great pool is a must. I recommend the Beach Club/Yacht Club complex. If you want a Magic Kingdom resort, Contemporary is a fantastic option, or Wilderness Lodge.

We have rented a wheelchair a few times for our now 10 year old son. When he was 6 we rented the hard plastic one at MK and he liked it but he was getting too big so the next day we tried the wheelchair and it was so much better and his brother sat next to him at some points in the day

Hopefully in two years the parks will have longer hours and you can break your day up by going back to the room having lunch and a "movie" break. This was the best thing we did for everyone the kids sometimes fall asleep and we had better afternoons/ nights.
As resorts go we prefer hotels without a lobby. Our son has occasional meltdowns and walking him past gift shops, food courts and other cool Disney activities did not go well. We like the cars family suites at AOA.
Asking for a DAS has been the best benefit.
We dont use it the whole day but it has really come in hand for rides with extremely long lines or when he wants to re ride. Our son does not do well with long ride ques and meltsdown in the middle of the line sometimes walks off.

WDW is a very over stimulating place and there is no way to know how your grandchild will react. My niece is very high functioning autistic but WDW is still "too much" for her. She loves it, but when she was 11, she and my sister had made the decision that it was something that, although she really enjoyed, also had too many things that made her stressed out. Now they do more low key things like camping. WDW is at the top of the list of needing a high tolerance for those with special needs. I would work up to going to WDW by first going to smaller, local places to see how he does first.

We have rented a wheelchair a few times for our now 10 year old son. When he was 6 we rented the hard plastic one at MK and he liked it but he was getting too big so the next day we tried the wheelchair and it was so much better and his brother sat next to him at some points in the day

By "hard plastic one" I guessing you meant a stroller, right? Not a wheelchair - I don't think they have hard plastic wheelchairs for rent.

I would do Epcot first. Possibly stay at an epcot Resort so you can walk in. Something about the vibe of Epcot relaxes my autistic grandson. Also, don’t go mainstream with your schedule. When others zig, you zag meaning stay away from peak times.

Also, know the fireworks schedule and steer clear. We were in little mermaid ride area in MK and fireworks show started. We entered the ride and the CM allowed us to ride twice due to his sensory issues.

Last edited:
I would do Epcot first. Possibly stay at an epcot Resort so you can walk in. Something about the vibe of Epcot relaxes my autistic grandson. Also, don’t go mainstream with your schedule. When others zig, you zag meaning stay away from peak times.

Also, know the fireworks schedule and steer clear. We were in little mermaid ride area in MK and fireworks show started. We entered the ride and the CM allowed us to ride twice due to his sensory issues.

I concur with all this. Epcot has always been my 2 boys favorite park.

We don't even step foot into a park before 5pm. We do nights, as the heat/sun is too much. We spend the mornings and afternoons enjoying leisurely breakfasts and lunches, and the resort pool and activities. Nighttime is park time.

The resorts are super peaceful in the late mornings and early afternoons since everyone is in the parks.

My little guy (9 years old, non-verbal, not toilet trained, and a runner) LOVES Mickey and his Oh Toodles too!

We have been doing family trips for 6 years. A large family (8 total with one other 21 years old with autism) and stay in a two-bedroom. We flew for many years and it became too much a couple of years ago so we started driving. We plan to try flying again next trip. I may even be purchasing an airline approved big kid car seat that accommodates his weight.

The biggest thing for us is a monorail or Epcot resort worked best. If a meltdown occurs I can be back to the resort in little time. I usually leave the rest of my family behind at the parks to enjoy their time. The busses are always too much for my son. He had few meltdowns in our past trips and they always occurred on the busses.

This trip we will have temporary alarms on the doors just in case he tries to escape. We have always stored our luggage and heavy items in front of the door when we head to bed as a precaution. Also, I typically stop at the front desk and let them make note that we have a son on the spectrum who can get happy stimulated and likes to happy scream occasionally. I request placing us at the end of a hallway if is available, it works best. I hate to worry about him being loud for the neighbors.

We pack lots of little misc items to keep him entertained when waiting. He likes paper to "flick" so dollar store Mickey Playing cards are great. Anything you can think of that can help during a challenging waiting time (sometimes the wait for getting into the park past security can be longer than my little guy likes to hold still). Snacks and drinks can also help.

As far as rides, when my son was younger I could hold him on my lap and wear a carrier to keep him next to me (even know he was too big for it, lol). I used a waistband type harness on the busses to help if he tried to getaway. He is not a ride kiddo at all. He likes to stroll and look at everything from a distance. We have used the DAS pass a couple of times in all of our trips. Mainly our 21-year old who "needed" to ride something a second time. It is a great thing to utilize if you need it. We mainly utilized fastpasses in the past.

If you are going during a time that a special event party is available, those are the BEST. But do cost $$'s. The parks are light on occupancy and so every calming. The Christmas party is our favorite.

We have done many character meals and finally the last couple of trips he has taken an interest in them. He even said "Hi" to Donald at Cape May Breakfast our last trip. Tears (happy and sad) and memories have always been made on our Disney trips. Quick service at the resorts usually has an outdoor dining area. They are our favorite because we can have food quickly and he is able to take in the sights outdoors without as much noise.

For us, a stroller as a wheelchair (he has an umbrella style special needs for ease of use) is a MUST. I can wheel him around to keep him entertained and it can go right on the monorail) Ours has a canopy so he can feel sheltered and less overwhelmed. Maybe start looking for a stroller another special needs parent is passing on or heavily discounted (the lighter weight, the better).

Have fun with the planning. It can be stressful with so many unknowns. For us, we love that Disney has worked well for our large family and even purchased DVC to enjoy it yearly.

Def get/use the DAS pass-extremely easy to get and to use-and def bring stroller-my boy loves the parks, but when he's done, he's done-which could be at 11am-we went to universal studios and he rode 1 ride all day long, but was happy munching away in stroller w/fan on him-also I would never bring him again in extreme heat-makes him miserable on top of anxiety/overstimulation etc...mine also loves popcorn, so we always get refillable bucket, quick fix for hangry issues!! We always go w/more adults to kid ratio also, so if I need to take him out of park plenty of people left to deal w/other kids!! We've also done alot of resort hopping and I found wilderness lodge to be the best for my situation-there is a waterslide, but much smaller that some other resorts that he could enjoy w/out getting hurt or falling climbing approx 3 flights on stairs at bay lake waterslide-Disney is def. very accustomed to different ability children and I think do a fantastic job making sure everyone has a great time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!