Need some advice on ECV, please (questions added 8/11)

angel's momma

DIS Veteran
I've had our 9/25-10/8 trip booked since Jan.
Yesterday, my parents decided to take advantage of the free dining and join us 10/3-7. It is their first visit to wdw. They both have some medical issues that make walking for longer distances difficult, but have never used ECVs before. They only plan to go to the parks 2 days, so they are planning to rent ECVs in the park, instead of renting from a company for 4 days. My main concern is they want to go to F&W Fest on 10/4, and I'm guessing it's going to be hard to rent 2 ECVs. Besides the added cost (2 days - 4 days), they are worried that it will be difficult to get on the bus with 2 ECVs, and still make ADRs in time.

Since I have no experience in this area, your advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would have them go to a large grocery or discount store where there are "loaner" ECVs they can practice on. Just be sure they are aware these, with the large baskets, are the most difficult to use.

If they are arriving on Monday Oct 3 and leaving on Friday Oct 7, that gives three full days plus arrival and departure days. What are they palnning to do when they are not in the parks.

In addition to this, where will you be staying? The access to the different parks is a function of where you are staying. Some of the resorts are very large and getting around in the resorts themselves can have some long distances involved. Generally we advise getting the ECVs from off-site companies as they are available all the time and are much easier to maneuver than the Disney ones.

Thank you :flower:

We are at POP. I've tried to explain to them how big wdw is, but I think they really expect it to be like Disneyland, which they went to many years ago. :)

They just told me that they'd like to see LaNouba, so I think they need to rent from an off-site company. I think your info about them being easier to maneuver will help me convince tham.

I've read many threads on the ECVs now & have a few questions.

Since my parents are able to walk, I think that we can "drive" the ECVs onto the bus for them as long as no one is sitting on it - is this correct? If so, am I wrong in assuming that would be easier than having them actually drive it on?

For store, restaurants, etc. is there a designated place to park the ECVs outside, or do you just try to find a spot that won't inconvenience pedestrians? Or is it preferred that they just stay on the ECV when they go in?

We rented one for my husband when we went two years ago, because he was having some major health issues that sapped most of his energy. He always got off the ECV and let one of our grown sons put it on the bus, because it had to be backed on and he had enough trouble just going forward on it. We always tried to park it where it would be out of the way, when we were in attractions or restaurants. Some places, like Haunted Mansion, took us into the exit and he was able to park it right where he'd be getting back off the Doombuggies.

We went to went to WDW in May. In February I took a fall that messed up my back. A week before we went I admitted defeat and ordered a ECV from Walker Mobility. I had never used one before. I was grateful for it, because even though I had called the special services and requested a room closer to the main building at POR, we were still 10 minutes away walking. The ECV saved me from waiting in the room while my family went to do things.

My husband always drove the ECV on and off of the buses for me. He became quite good at locking it down. One driver even commented that he could relax as my husband was doing all of the work. We found that it was important if we left the parks at a crowded time to make sure the person loading the buses told us where to wait. They seemed to get upset when ECV's or wheelchairs went through the cue lines.

One thing that really helped me was learning how to use it at the resort before we went to the parks. The first evening I took a lot of time just riding around and practicing backing up. It was overwhelming at first, but after a bit of practice I was pretty confident about riding it. Hope this helps!

If you haven't already looked at it, the disABILITIES FAQs thread has information about riding the bus (specifically the "where to wait" question).
The user of the scooter doesn't have to be the one who drives it onto the bus. Someone else in your party can drive it on or push it on. The driver won 't mind who does it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter