• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Need some advice..

LeahA

DIS Veteran
We are planning our 2002 trip, My dh, myself and our 2 boys, almost 2 and 5, at time of trip.
We went in 1999 with our one son and had a standard offsite room, in 2000, we went while I was pregnant and had a standard offsite room with a balcony, in 2001 we had a offsite suite room. We really want to stay onsite, but, we are worried about just having a standard room with 2 kids, no balcony, no suite, all of us together. My older son will sleep no matter what when he's tired, lights on, t.v. on, doesn't matter. My younger son is still in a crib, and doesn't sleep that well in a pack and play portable crib.

My dh asked me how does everybody else that stay onsite/offsite at Disney make it work? Do you all go to bed at the same time, do you put pack in play far away from you and leave light off, t.v. low. I know the kids will be exhausted at the end of the day, but I can imagine the little one not wanting to go to sleep until we all go to sleep.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Leah

I agree that it is nicer to spread out in a suite, but when we can't (or won't - we love to be on the monorail and can't affort a suite there!), we put the youngest, when he was in a pack and go, in the dressing room area so he couldn't really see us. Next trip they will be 10, 8 and almost 5, so we booked a contemporary wing room and will put the boys together in a bed and our daughter in the day bed and hope that they are really, really tired.

To tell the truth, at WDW we always came back for a nap and swim at mid-day, then kept the kids out fairly late and we just all went to sleep at night. On other vacations where we were not out so late, one of us will go sit in a jacuzzi by the pool while the other gets the kids to sleep. Or sometimes I go do laundry while my husband gets them to sleep.

We have also been known to give $1 each morning to any child not seen or heard after bedtime. It worked.

The kids will be so tired that it won't matter how the room is situated. For that matter you will be so tired that it won't matter to you either.

My son won't go to sleep if the TV or lights are on. We shut them off for a few minutes and he is sound asleep because he is so tired.

We have also put the porta-crib in the dressing area, bathroom or large closet if we had one. Our kids actually thought it was cool - like they had their own little room! Also, we try to go swimming before bedtime - this seems to really wipe our kids out (ages 5 and just turned 3 by the way). Lastly, we once had a first floor room at the All Stars that had a playground right outside our door. This worked out great if one kid woke up early or if one parent was still getting ready in the morning the other one could take the kids out so they didn't get stir crazy waiting to go the parks. I think all hotels have the playgrounds but it's nice to have it right outside your door so you don't have to go looking for your family when you're ready to go. Good luck!

I have a 1.5 DD and who like yours does not like pack and plays. For her nap, I think we are going to put her in and all go out on the patio (we are staying at the CR wings and have requested first floor). I am keeping my fingers crossed that this works because she is not a pleasant child without her afternoon nap!

By the way, what do you plan on doing about a stroller, renting a double? I have a five year old DS and am grappling with this issue.

When we went with a 5, 3 and 7 month old, we took our stroller for the baby and rented a double for the two older kids. You might get away without a stroller for the 5yo at the MK where rides are close together and walking distances relatively short, but you really don't want to tackle Epcot with a 5 yo on foot unless he is unusually tough. We will still get one on this trip for the now almost 5 year old even though we never use a stroller at home now.

Thanks for the insights. I am currently debating bringing my full size stroller (gate checking it) which reclines, so that the little one can rest better in it (and it has the nice under basket for throwing sweat shirts, etc) and leaving it at the hotel if we go to Epcot or MGM and renting a double stroller OR bringing my umbrella stroller, using it to get from the hotel to the MK, storing it at the stroller rental place and getting a double every day. My concern is that the baby will not be able to really sleep in the double stroller. Also, I seem to remember the disney strollers being really close to the ground and I am worried about how easy it will be for her to climb out and run. Hmmm. Not sure what the answer is. We will only be in the parks for 3 days so stroller rental won't be so expensive. Any more advice? I guess my other option is to bring the big stroller and rent an additional stroller for my son if necessary -- but I really don't want to be pushing around two strollers, I am going with my mom and she is not the best "stroller steerer"

Thanks

We have stayed in a regular room at a moderate with a 1 1/2 yr. old and a 2 1/2 yr. old. My youngest doesn't like the porto crib either. It was tough the 1st night, I stayed in the room with him while my hubby took our other child to get a snack and they went and sat by the pool until I got him to sleep. But after the second night he was sooo tired every night he went to sleep with no problem!!

Thanks all for your great insights! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

As far as strollers, I'll probably take my full size stroller for my younger son, and renting a stoller for my older one, he's to tall for the umbrella stroller we have, and I don't want him walking around Disney, because one of us would be carrying him if he got tired!

Leah :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter