Need your experience with dental crowns.

The other dentists prolly don't tell you what they are doing. When they are in your mouth all numb they could carve it all up and you wouldn't know. Don't worry about it Imo.

Nope, wouldn't do it!!! I have 6 crowns and never heard of trimming your gums. That doesn't sound right to me. The crowns are supposed to fit - they should have already taken the molds, not make 'your' mouth fit the crowns!!

Also from a pp - would 'never' go to Mexico for dental work, or any other medical, no matter what the cost savings would be.
I get that as a first reaction, but you'd be extremely surprised at the facilities there operated specifically to treat tourists. There are many in places like Cancun, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. The one I happened to use was in Playa Del Carmen. The entire thing (including our AI vacation plans) was put together by a Canadian brokerage called Dental Departures and was pre-authorized by Blue Cross. The clinic was staffed by Western European dentists trained and certified through Canadian universities. There was absolutely no reason to believe the care would be any less quality than what I would receive at home and the cost savings simply can't be ignored. What my Canadian dentist quoted at over $8,000 CAD, I paid a total of $2,600 US and Blue Cross reimbursed me their portion after I submitted the receipts.

My daughter had to have the gum trimming before her crown was put in place. She had no problem during or afterwards.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your replies! It helps to know about your experiences. As I mentioned, I'll be calling a few dental offices tomorrow just to get a feel for how common this actually is. These are on molars; one upper an one lower just one tooth ahead of the upper.

I have to take a lot of care with this side of my mouth because I am missing my upper molars on the other side due to a botched root canal in my 20's that resulted in abscess, losing that tooth and the one next to it and so much jaw bone loss that implants are not viable. Well, I could have bone grafting from my hip apparently but I was told back then that my sinuses are so low I'd require a lift and that has a high chance of major sinus complications afterwards. No thank you. The advice was to put any money on the other side to ensure it's good. And it has been for 25+ years, but I guess my luck has run out in that regard.

Interesting thing the hygienist told me was that she doesn't recommend brushing for an hour after you eat. She said the enamel is weaker then from the digestive acids in your mouth and more prone to wear. I was always told as a kid to brush immediately after eating and have done my whole life, so now I wonder if that is causing some of these issues as I age...

Wanted to chime in. I have one crown where the this procedure was explicitly done. I had an appointment ahead of the crown mold where my gum was cut down. It wasn't the funnest procedure in the world, but it was ok. Just wanted to say that it's not off the wall. Sometimes it is necessary to create a better chance for success.

Wanted to chime in. I have one crown where the this procedure was explicitly done. I had an appointment ahead of the crown mold where my gum was cut down. It wasn't the funnest procedure in the world, but it was ok. Just wanted to say that it's not off the wall. Sometimes it is necessary to create a better chance for success.

Yes this is their plan for me. A prep appointment where the mold will be done as well as the trimming.

I get that as a first reaction, but you'd be extremely surprised at the facilities there operated specifically to treat tourists. There are many in places like Cancun, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. The one I happened to use was in Playa Del Carmen. The entire thing (including our AI vacation plans) was put together by a Canadian brokerage called Dental Departures and was pre-authorized by Blue Cross. The clinic was staffed by Western European dentists trained and certified through Canadian universities. There was absolutely no reason to believe the care would be any less quality than what I would receive at home and the cost savings simply can't be ignored. What my Canadian dentist quoted at over $8,000 CAD, I paid a total of $2,600 US and Blue Cross reimbursed me their portion after I submitted the receipts.

Yep, I'm going to Cancun next month for my 3rd time for dental treatment. It's ignorant to think the US is the only place that offers excellent medical care. I've had an implant done there which was the reason I had to go back 6 months later. Even with multiple trips I've saved more than half than what I was quoted here, including all travel costs. The facility is top notch with more high tech equipment than what I've seen anywhere else. I've seen more jacked up teeth in the US than I have in Mexico. The staff picks me up & drops me off at my resort and checks on me after I'm home, I've been very pleased with my treatment and recommen that clinic with no hesitation. And this is coming from someone with a lifelong dental phobia and massive anxiety!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter