• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Needed Lots of Magic - Got OKW ressies 6 days out!!!

Cinderelli

DIS Veteran
I've seen lots of posts with questions relating to how difficult it may be to get last minute ressies. Well, let me tell you our success story. I'm so excited I could burst.

We just returned home to Tampa last Friday from a difficult 15 day hospital stay in Pittsburgh. Our 5 year old son had a brain tumor operated on and had major complications after the surgery. We spent 10 nights in the PICU. He will be starting radiation/chemo in just two weeks.

We were so sad on Monday because we had to cancel our July 4th week at Vero. We had been planning that trip since Christmas and our kids were so disappointed to think that we wouldn't be getting a summer vacation.

On the spur of the moment, my DH and I said "wouldn't it be nice to get away from the phone calls, well-wishers, doctors, etc. for just a few days before we begin all the madness?" I called member services this morning and asked for a 1 or 2 bedroom at any of the resorts for next Tues - Fri. She said I could stay just about anywhere in a one bedroom. We picked our home (OKW) thinking it would be more quiet.

We just can't believe that we were so lucky to get ressies 6 days out - and in Magic Season. Now we can have the best of both worlds. A place to get some R&R and also a quick trip to a park for those up to it.

God is definitely sprinking us with more than pixie dust these days. I've never been so glad to be part of DVC!!!

You may want to get away from well wishers, but you can't get away from my prayers. I will keep you and your family in my prayers during this difficult time.

God bless!!

ohiominnie :p

Wow! That is great news, and it sounds like a great time for a dose of Disney magic! Best wishes to you and your son for a great trip and successful treatment. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Our prayers will be with you too.

Our son also had a brain tumor operation and we were able to take him to Disney World shortly after that.

See about getting a medical release from your doctor-we did and were able to have a wheel chair for him because of the fatigue. That really helped.

I can't think of a more restful place to be than OKW.
And I understand about wanting to get away-you can only answer the same questions so many times. And there aren't always answers. Everyone means well, but you do need time alone.

We'll pray that you and your family have a wonderful time and that the treatment will be successful.

It's exciting to get last minute ressies. We did about 2 weeks ago. Spur of the moment trips turn out to be the best. Sending some extra Pixie Dust to your son and family. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Bless You all.

So wonderful that you and your family will be able to get some much needed R&R at OKW and that you were accomodated in such short notice. I hope you all have a magical time.

I will keep your little guy in my thoughts and prayers.

God bless all of you!

Thanks for the replies. Your prayers are so welcome and needed. It's the only way we (and our little Zacker) have gotten thru this. Great suggestion about the wheelchair. We were thinking he probably would be too weak still to take in a park, but he might be able to hang for a few hours with a wheelchair.

A nice fireworks just might be what the doctor ordered.

Thanks again to all!!!

So happy to hear a little disney magic and pixie dust came your way! Wishing you all a very relaxing, and peaceful family vacation.

You will all be in my thoughs and prayers.

So glad things worked out for your family to be able to go to OKW.

Just wanted you to know you all are in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless.

Glad to hear you got the reservation, but I, too, just wanted to send my thoughts and prayers to you, your son and the rest of your family. Here's hoping for a dose of some Disney Magic.

Our thoughts & prayers are with you all. We have some friends going through a family medical crisis. The wife sends out daily email updates to so many people that in the beginning AOL thought she was spamming people. I hope Disney is an enjoyable trip for you & your family. Don't forget you can see the MK fireworks from the Contemporary. Does your son have a favorite Disney character?

Getting OKW on such short notice is a wonderful suprise. My family's thoughts and prayers will be with your Zacker and the rest of your family for a long time to come!!!!

Have a relaxing journey and may God bless you all!!

That is great news, and what a great husband too! I'll keep you all in my prayers--we'll be at WDW starting next Wednesday at BWV, maybe we'll see you around!
Robin M.

Have a great time. I pray everything goes well for your DS.

So glad to hear that you got OKW reservations with such short notice. The angels and pixie dust must both be with you and your family. I wish you the best time ever----my thoughts and prayers are with your family. I would think that if you mentioned your special situation to guest services they might be able to do something special----like a visit from your son's favorite character.

Have a great time at HOME.

I wanted to add my pixie dust too and also give you some information that might be helpful.
You don't need any special clearance from your doctor to rent a wheelchair, but the resort wheelchairs are adult size and would probably be uncomfortable for a 5 year old. You can bring his own stroller or rent a stroller at WDW and get a Guest Assistance Card at Guest Services that will let you use the stroller just like a wheelchair. That lets you bring it into lines, shows, etc. as if it was a wheelchair. Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITES Board if you have more questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter