Nemesis Challenge 3 AKA Marathon Weekend 2015

It is stress fractures.(or what amounts to the beginnings of them) I'm at a loss…. My wife sees my orthopedic at her hospital so I have her on a mission to talk to him. I guess I started training too fast. I was only running 2 times a week x3-3.5 miles. It wasn't like I was putting a lot of stress on my legs. I guess I need to incorporate a strength regime before I start running again. My May and June is absolutely nuts with work so I probably wasn't going to run all that much anyway. I guess I should try to run some at the high school track. It is rubber which should take some of the pounding out of the legs. Wonder when I get back training if I should run my shorter runs on the track and only do my long runs on the road? I'm only going to have 1 chance to get this straightened out. If I start running before it heals I'm going to set myself way back. The crazy thing is my legs feel great after running… it was my breathing that started out tough but I was getting more under control.
. Yeah I would try again in late June and not push through any pain. Run on grass if you can and if not stick to a dread mill for a while. I would stay of the hard road as much as possible until you felt you were out of the woods. Every step you take in pain is just fanning the fire. This article pretty much covers everything about running with stress fx. http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/runners-guide-to-stress-fractures/

. Yeah I would try again in late June and not push through any pain. Run on grass if you can and if not stick to a dread mill for a while. I would stay of the hard road as much as possible until you felt you were out of the woods. Every step you take in pain is just fanning the fire. This article pretty much covers everything about running with stress fx. http://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/runners-guide-to-stress-fractures/

Thanks for the article…

I think once I get through to the end of June I'm going to start running on the high school track and on their turf field. If do that and start very slow (article suggests starting at 1 min jog-4 min walk)and get totally serious and train 4x a week, plus add strength training, I just might be able to run in Jan. :faint:

Welp.. it's happening again. Pain on the lower leg above the ankle. This post was taken from mine & Barry's PTR for the 2013 marathon:

I felt a little pain when I started running yesterday and ignored it but I ran my 3.2 miles. Once I stopped, the pain was there- both legs, same spot. This is bull. I'm gonna shut it down till I get through my busy time in June but I need to figure out what to do when I start training again.

Do I have to diet and try to lose weight? I guess if I lost 20lbs that would help with less weight pounding on the legs. It's not the shoes… got fitted for running shoes in the fall. I'm at a loss. I'm gonna start the calcium and vitamin D pills again. How can you build up bone? I wasn't running with my compression sleeves on, do you think that could of helped/prevented this happening again? (I know you aren't a doctor, unless an actual doctor is here reading this). I am soooooooo upset about this. :badpc:

I'm not a Dr, but for what it's worth I have experienced pretty bad shin and ankle pain when I train. I definitely find that compression socks reduce that pain for me.

Thanks for the article…

I think once I get through to the end of June I'm going to start running on the high school track and on their turf field. If do that and start very slow (article suggests starting at 1 min jog-4 min walk)and get totally serious and train 4x a week, plus add strength training, I just might be able to run in Jan. :faint:
I've been seeing a sports med physical therapist. I had a great visit with mine where he spent a lot of time looking at my form when I run and the shape of my feet and legs. He noticed that one of my feet is slightly crooked and that causes me to put a lot of stress on my right side. He also checked my form at different paces and identified where my form is best. Intervals could be great for that for you. It could let you run a little faster during the run portion and usually people's form improves when they are running faster.

See.....this is exactly why I don't run.....

I don't have to worry about stress fractures or sports medicine physical therapist psychologists!

I guess I'll jump into this thread. I'm signed up for the Dopey, as well as the Avengers Half at Disneyland this November.

My first Marathon was WDW in January 2011, which I completed but injured my knee in the process and it took me just under 5:00. Since I felt that didn't go as I had hoped, I decided to sign up for the Goofy (and added the 5K for the old unofficial Dopey) in Jan 2012. We took a nice big family trip that year (me, DW, DS9, DD7, my parents and sister), did the kids races for the kids and my sister also ran the half. It was a great trip, I finished everything well and stopped for every character picture the whole marathon route while still finishing in 3:50 or so. I felt satisfied that I had done the biggest running challenge Disney had with the 5K, half, and full then I also did the Disneyland Half that fall to get the Coast to Coast. That was that, I did it, bought a frame for the medals, and was a little tired of the runDisney machine.

Well then they had to go and create an official Dopey Challenge with one extra race and I no longer had done "the biggest thing". Darn you runDisney. So after thinking for a while I'm headed back in January to do the official Dopey. This time it will be just me going for the race days as my wife is now teaching and she can't take the time off from school, and one of the main comments I heard from the Dopey finisher last year was that taking the family along turned out to be difficult with the 4 early nights and mornings. I feel guilty about doing this trip without the kids, but the focus will be on the expo and races and not as much park time. Plus we just got back from a Disney cruise a month ago and we'll be headed to Disneyland in November, so it's not like they don't get family vacations or park time.

Anyway, that's my story or part of it at least. I just mapped out my rough training plan for the year with a couple half marathons and a full in the fall. I completed a half 2 weeks ago with a PR of 1:37 and will be running another in Seattle in a month. I'll be turning 40 in December so running the Dopey will be a way of observing that milestone for me (at least that's one of my excuses for doing it).

Good luck to everyone in their training.

Okay. Who's doing any part of the Star Wars rundisney event? I'm at least in for the 5k. 10k if I have a teammate with a spouse whom grace can hang with. Let's do it nemie????

Okay. Who's doing any part of the Star Wars rundisney event? I'm at least in for the 5k. 10k if I have a teammate with a spouse whom grace can hang with. Let's do it nemie????

I'll be trying for the Rebel Challenge, don't have a spouse quite yet. But def can run with ya.

I got excited until I saw that this was in California. If at WDW I'd seriously consider it.

I'll be trying for the Rebel Challenge, don't have a spouse quite yet. But def can run with ya.
I book a flight today. So it sounds like I'm going to do it. What are you going to do with DD during the race?

I book a flight today. So it sounds like I'm going to do it. What are you going to do with DD during the race?

Still working out the fine details but ever since I had to cancel our DL trip last oct. My mom has wanted to go back (she has been before) so my parents will prob go and they are thinking about a Hawaii trip so they may fly out there when we fly back home.

Started 3 times a week walk/run program. Ok not impressive numbers but did 7/10ths of a mile with only a couple of breaks. Calf was harder than a steel rod when I finished but recovered after a bit.

Started 3 times a week walk/run program. Ok not impressive numbers but did 7/10ths of a mile with only a couple of breaks. Calf was harder than a steel rod when I finished but recovered after a bit.

But You Started! Congrats on the Start! Stay with it CJ! :thumbsup2

Sort of a crossover for the disdad cruise, any dads/nemie going to run on castaway cay?

NIce job CJ. You might try calf sleeves (CEP and Zensah) both make nice ones it'll help support your calf a little bit. You could also try shoes with a larger heel to toe drop to relieve calf strain.

Sort of a crossover for the disdad cruise, any dads/nemie going to run on castaway cay?
I'll be running it on the disdads cruise. I'm not sure which stop I'll be doing it on though. I don't think my nemesis will be on the cruise though.

disdadIL said:

Is the cruise next year?

I'll be running the Castaway Cat 5k in September, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

I walked/ran just over 2 miles today. First time since April. I'm not feeling any pain in the legs so that is a good thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!