Nervous about asking for DAS

shannonstar

StarGirlJapp
I know I shouldn't really be nervous about it, but we aren't really that family that asks for things when we go out in public. When my DS4 ASD gets overwhelmed, one of us will take him outside, etc when we are in the store, at restaurants, etc. I know this won't really be an option when it comes to ride lines.

I am hoping to be granted:
Stroller as a wheelchair (he is almost 50 lbs and we cannot manhandle him every time he wants to run off or decides he is done walking)
Return times. He isn't going to be upset that their isn't immediate gratification of getting on the ride he wants, but I cannot see him waiting in any line for more than 15-20 minutes without revealing his inner banshee. It won't be about moving forward, just about standing there doing nothing. However, he might be totally happy wandering around for over an hour just wandering.

I guess I'm just worried these won't be seen as reasonable. He is only 4 and he doesn't "look" like he has any problems.

I would go to GR. And talk to them about his needs in line and why waiting out side will help him. Also have so coping strategies for if a line is longer then you think or if you do not get a DAS or if the DAS does not work for the line

I know I shouldn't really be nervous about it, but we aren't really that family that asks for things when we go out in public. When my DS4 ASD gets overwhelmed, one of us will take him outside, etc when we are in the store, at restaurants, etc. I know this won't really be an option when it comes to ride lines.

Stroller as a wheelchair (he is almost 50 lbs and we cannot manhandle him every time he wants to run off or decides he is done walking)
Return times. He isn't going to be upset that their isn't immediate gratification of getting on the ride he wants, but I cannot see him waiting in any line for more than 15-20 minutes without revealing his inner banshee. It won't be about moving forward, just about standing there doing nothing. However, he might be totally happy wandering around for over an hour just wandering.

I guess I'm just worried these won't be seen as reasonable. He is only 4 and he doesn't "look" like he has any problems.

Both of those are reasonable accommodations. Guest Relations is well aware that many guests with disabilities won't "look disabled". If it helps your anxiety about asking for the DAS, jot down some notes before your trip regarding what your DS's needs are and how the stroller as a wheelchair tag and the DAS will help him.

I'm not sure your DAS time will cut it to 15 to 20 minutes for a ride wait. Try to have a distraction for him while waiting in line. A toy or whatever should help. Even eating a treat will keep him busy and amused.

All GR can say is yes or no for a DAS. If you fail at one park trying to get a DAS then try at another park. I've heard this can work.

All GR can say is yes or no for a DAS. If you fail at one park trying to get a DAS then try at another park. I've heard this can work.

I have a hard time explaining my needs at home I am so used to accommodating my self for things that the first time I was at Disney ( well after a took a few years off) I had a really hard time with the way I could not wait in the line and gr told me no. after 3 rides ( and this was RD) I was better at saying why I needed to wait outside the line. So if at first, they say no it might be best to just try it without the DAS and then let GR know where you are having a hard time with the lines

When I say 15-20, I mean with no movement. As long as we are occassionally moving forward, he will be fine..

My son is the same way - if we aren't moving (or not moving fast enough) he starts to panic. The only time this has really been an issue has been Soarin' - even with the Fast Pass.

When I say 15-20, I mean with no movement. As long as we are occassionally moving forward, he will be fine..
He might not need a DAS since most lines at Disney is slow moving I really do not think you stop longer then a minute at a time and I would think 3 or 4 would be a long time

I've never been in a standby line that stayed stagnant for more than a few minutes. They are long and windy to keep people moving. Be aware though that preloading attractions (like Philharmagic, the Little Mermaid Show in HS, Lion King, etc) will have a preshow room where you may end of waiting for an extended time. Those may be the attractions to FP or use the DAS on.

Also, if you can create a "bubble" or a "buffer" in front of - so that you can continue to creep forward - that might help. For some people, being stopped in line = a trapped feeling, and having the space in front of them (even if it's just a couple of feet) allows them to see around better, and feel less claustrophobic.

First of all, I think you are being perfectly reasonable. The DAS is an incredible chance to have a more successful trip, and Disney is all set up and eager to help your family have a magical stay. They take ASD very seriously and, in my experience, bend over backwards to accommodate needs. While I can't promise that your son will get the DAS, we have never had any trouble and our sons' needs sound very similar. And the stroller as wheelchair has always been a life saver for us. My DS feels more secure and is less agitated when he has his own special space in his stroller. Good luck, you've got this! Have a wonderful trip!

I have never had a problem getting the stroller as wheelchair tag when we needed. we never have had to use DAS. you are right that getting out of ride line is not easy if child needs to be removed. only problem I can see with tag based on what you are saying about your son could be the wait as you get on ride and have to wait for room to park your stroller. some rides have small space to store strollers and wheelchairs and have a limit. ps my grandson did not look like he had problems

I feel the same way but you have to at least try the worst they can say is no. I get such anxiety about it once one of my children gets upset the other gets going as well, my youngest is in an aggressive phase which luckily my oldest mostly grew out of so for the safety of others around us as well as our experience I just have to hope it will be given. We have had some stressful trips not knowing this service was available it was manageable but difficult.

I feel the same way but you have to at least try the worst they can say is no. I get such anxiety about it once one of my children gets upset the other gets going as well, my youngest is in an aggressive phase which luckily my oldest mostly grew out of so for the safety of others around us as well as our experience I just have to hope it will be given. We have had some stressful trips not knowing this service was available it was manageable but difficult.

If you have to worry about the safety of others around you, perhaps it's not the best time to go to WDW - maybe wait until your younger child outgrows the aggressive phase as well?

Thanks all! I realize that my comment about not looking like he has anything has caused some friction. I just want to say that it was not intended to cause any. Lately at home in public, we have been dealing with a lot of scrutiny in that regard and it may have translated into my post. I know that Disney is one of the most friendly environments around, so we are really looking forward to our trip.

If you have to worry about the safety of others around you, perhaps it's not the best time to go to WDW - maybe wait until your younger child outgrows the aggressive phase as well?

I don't think that is fair. My son with autism can be aggressive. Usually in words more than action. But he has a twin brother. So his twin brother should never get to experience anything because of his brother? So we can never go anywhere as a family? So my son can't go and try and use his skills we pay so much for in therapy and social skills class out in the real world to see how he does? If we don't expose autistic children to social situations and life situations they are never going to learn. Sometimes the poo hits the fan and sometimes it doesn't. But we handle it. I will never stop exposing my son to real life. Because he is never going to get better if he just sits at home in front of a computer or ipad all day. He needs to be out in the world learning how to navigate it.

I don't think that is fair. My son with autism can be aggressive. Usually in words more than action. But he has a twin brother. So his twin brother should never get to experience anything because of his brother? So we can never go anywhere as a family? So my son can't go and try and use his skills we pay so much for in therapy and social skills class out in the real world to see how he does? If we don't expose autistic children to social situations and life situations they are never going to learn. Sometimes the poo hits the fan and sometimes it doesn't. But we handle it. I will never stop exposing my son to real life. Because he is never going to get better if he just sits at home in front of a computer or ipad all day. He needs to be out in the world learning how to navigate it.

The PP specifically talked about worrying about others when the child got aggressive - that's a safety concern, and yes, it isn't fair that kids get aggressive sometimes and can't go places. But it also isn't fair for someone else to be hurt by an out of control child. If you knowingly bring a child that will become aggressive and strike out at others to a place that is loaded with triggering scenarios, you are not being responsible as a parent. And no, not all people can experience everything they want to. Life in itself is not fair.

what would happen if your son while acting aggressive knocks someone who is using a cane or other device causing that person to fall? is that fair to that person especially if you knew your child could act that way. yes i have been almost knocked over by child in park I work at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!