Nervous about asking for DAS

what would happen if your son while acting aggressive knocks someone who is using a cane or other device causing that person to fall? is that fair to that person especially if you knew your child could act that way. yes i have been almost knocked over by child in park I work at.

same thing that would happen if a toddler knocked into someone. But no one says not to bring toddlers. Or same thing that would happen any other place he has to go like the store or the doctor office or school

Do you want to go back to the 50s where we lock special needs people up in the attic or asylums lest they bother you?

The PP specifically talked about worrying about others when the child got aggressive - that's a safety concern, and yes, it isn't fair that kids get aggressive sometimes and can't go places. But it also isn't fair for someone else to be hurt by an out of control child. If you knowingly bring a child that will become aggressive and strike out at others to a place that is loaded with triggering scenarios, you are not being responsible as a parent. And no, not all people can experience everything they want to. Life in itself is not fair.

the only person he ends up hurting is me. So yeah, that is my call to make. If anyone gets hurts its me getting him under control.

Maybe I should tell the obese people in ECVs they don't deserve to go to Disney when they run over my foot?

But I am not a bad person so I would never say that

Firstly big love to the OP you're doing an amazing job, I have a DS4 ASD so I know where you're coming from.

Also as an ASD mumma bear, I might be getting overly sensitive but I've been on a few of the DAS for Autism thread and there seem to be a lot of misunderstanding around the condition in some of the comments.

Now I am positive that they are not meant that way as I know people are just trying to be helpful, but certain comments can come across a little bit judgmental and ill informed.

ASD is so complex even for someone who's living it, like me, I still needs to take a step back and think about what I am writing, as my child needs could be vastly different from another child's needs.

So with my sensitivity bit over with back to the original post, the DAS pass was really helpful for my Son who has trouble with people and crowds - I find Disney such a positive place for ASD people. I know I rave on about it (see my previous post lol) but everyone was so helpful from GR, to the restaurant staff, photopass photographers, characters and their handlers, hotel staff the list goes on and on.

My advice is be vocal about it and honestly it will make your trip easier. That's why we couldn't wait to book up again - I'm now worried about going to other vacation spots because Disney is so great they might not live up to that standard.

Lastly whatever happens with DAS or not, I hope you have a total fantastic family vacation :cheer2::cheer2:

same thing that would happen if a toddler knocked into someone. But no one says not to bring toddlers. Or same thing that would happen any other place he has to go like the store or the doctor office or school

Do you want to go back to the 50s where we lock special needs people up in the attic or asylums lest they bother you?
if I am hurt because of a child's acting out I have the right to have something besides sorry especially if it is know that child can cause injury to others. and I do not mean asylums but he is not able to injure others just so you can take him out. and yes I have had special needs kids including daughters and grandson

if I am hurt because of a child's acting out I have the right to have something besides sorry especially if it is know that child can cause injury to others. and I do not mean asylums but he is not able to injure others just so you can take him out. and yes I have had special needs kids including daughters and grandson[/QUOTE

yeah well good luck with that.

I did not even get a sorry when someone's toddler ran in front of me and tripped me at Disney world. But I would never say they had no right to be there.

I did not even get a sorry when someone's toddler ran in front of me and tripped me at Disney world. But I would never say they had no right to be there.
yes but in your case you know your child can be a danger to others from what you say so that is what make the difference to me. had something happen while special needs grandson was with me. at the time he was nonverbal. while using slide at pool he had lifejacket on and I was not catching him at bottom of slide because he did not want to be caught. an early teen asked her mother if she could catch him, her mother told her sure. when I asked her not to catch him she told me her mom said she could and she was going to continue to do that because I wasn't catching him like I should. a couple of times and before I could stop him he bit her on shoulder didn't break skin but left a good mark. her mother wanted us kicked out of pool when I told guard she had been asked to not catch him and that he was nonverbal. mother just looked at her daughter and asked were you told not to do that. daughter said yes but you told me I could catch him. so yes I have been on both sides

I have been on both side of this if I am in a crowded area I will push people out of my way normally friends and people I know and I have never hurt anyone. if someone touches me then I will push there hand away again normally people that I know. I am not sure what the PP child will do, but I am sure they know who to help there child and if this means getting out of the line or area then that is what they need to do.

I have also been at Disney where a child has run full force into me knocking me over I have had a child go out and thought a tantrum in line in front of me not sure if the child was a special needs child or not I simply backed up some to give the child and there parents some room. I go with a friend that has some nerve damage on her one side and anything touching it hurts her when she is in line she stands in such a way that her bad side is against something so it is less likely to get bumped.

I do not think that just because someone as a hard time and may lash out push whatever you want to call it then that child or person should stay home, but I do think that they and their family need to come up with way to help the child to lesson that outburst. just like if you know that you are likely to get hurt or fall or whatever if someone bumps into you then you need to come up with a strategy to handle this if it happens.

I have been on both side of this if I am in a crowded area I will push people out of my way normally friends and people I know and I have never hurt anyone. if someone touches me then I will push there hand away again normally people that I know. I am not sure what the PP child will do, but I am sure they know who to help there child and if this means getting out of the line or area then that is what they need to do.

I have also been at Disney where a child has run full force into me knocking me over I have had a child go out and thought a tantrum in line in front of me not sure if the child was a special needs child or not I simply backed up some to give the child and there parents some room. I go with a friend that has some nerve damage on her one side and anything touching it hurts her when she is in line she stands in such a way that her bad side is against something so it is less likely to get bumped.

I do not think that just because someone as a hard time and may lash out push whatever you want to call it then that child or person should stay home, but I do think that they and their family need to come up with way to help the child to lesson that outburst. just like if you know that you are likely to get hurt or fall or whatever if someone bumps into you then you need to come up with a strategy to handle this if it happens.
very well said.

first of all any child has the potential to tantrum up to a certain age. So if that was the case, no children would ever go to Disney period till they were hitting puberty.

I am a good enough mother I can tell when he is getting upset and usually intervene and handle it before it gets out of control. Thus the purpose of the DAS to let parents do what they know is best for their special need kid.

My son gets mad if someone stares at him or gets too close to him and won't back off. He will usually say something mean to them first and when I catch that happening and jump in to calm the situation and if need be remove him to a safe place to either calm down or throw a fit in privacy out of the way of people.

But even better don't even make me cram him into an enclosed line space like that for a long time and he won't even get into that situation of feeling stared at or having his personal space violated.

Majority of his tantrums are set off by the ill behavior of others-young kids touching him without permission, staring at him, etc. So maybe I could say if your kid is not trained not to stare or randomly touch people they should not be at Disney either.

Or we could all just work together and everyone can go and be happy. Its not that serious.

The comment about reconsidering whether a trip is wise at this time was directed to allysetakros who specifically stated her son is in an “aggressive phase” and mentioned concern for safety of others if they don’t get a DAS.

So let’s get back to the primary topic. No further discussion about injuries incurred by anyone. This is the OP’s post:
I know I shouldn't really be nervous about it, but we aren't really that family that asks for things when we go out in public. When my DS4 ASD gets overwhelmed, one of us will take him outside, etc when we are in the store, at restaurants, etc. I know this won't really be an option when it comes to ride lines.

I am hoping to be granted:
Stroller as a wheelchair (he is almost 50 lbs and we cannot manhandle him every time he wants to run off or decides he is done walking)
Return times. He isn't going to be upset that their isn't immediate gratification of getting on the ride he wants, but I cannot see him waiting in any line for more than 15-20 minutes without revealing his inner banshee. It won't be about moving forward, just about standing there doing nothing. However, he might be totally happy wandering around for over an hour just wandering.

I guess I'm just worried these won't be seen as reasonable. He is only 4 and he doesn't "look" like he has any problems.

very well said.

first of all any child has the potential to tantrum up to a certain age. So if that was the case, no children would ever go to Disney period till they were hitting puberty.

I am a good enough mother I can tell when he is getting upset and usually intervene and handle it before it gets out of control. Thus the purpose of the DAS to let parents do what they know is best for their special need kid.

My son gets mad if someone stares at him or gets too close to him and won't back off. He will usually say something mean to them first and when I catch that happening and jump in to calm the situation and if need be remove him to a safe place to either calm down or throw a fit in privacy out of the way of people.

But even better don't even make me cram him into an enclosed line space like that for a long time and he won't even get into that situation of feeling stared at or having his personal space violated.

Majority of his tantrums are set off by the ill behavior of others-young kids touching him without permission, staring at him, etc. So maybe I could say if your kid is not trained not to stare or randomly touch people they should not be at Disney either.

Or we could all just work together and everyone can go and be happy. Its not that serious.

I am glad what I wrote made since ( I have a hard time saying out loud what I am thinking and then having to type it is another big thing for me.

if people looking at him is a problem then maybe getting a stroller as a wheelchair tag so that he can have his bubble, and having a lightweight blanket to cover it and have him make it his own space maybe have a glow stick or two attached to the canopy. or a small flashlight he can turn on or off. and having a toy or two for him to play with, or a game on an iPhone, or other device, I know a family with a child on the spectrum that does this and the only time he can play a game on the iPhone is when he is in line and is his cocoon ( AKA stroller) I think his parents have it where he has to be in there for 10 minutes before he can ask for the phone. but he has a small bag with a hand full of toys that he like and often does not need the phone. This does two things for him it distract him, and 2 he really does not care who is looking at him since he can not see them.

I am glad what I wrote made since ( I have a hard time saying out loud what I am thinking and then having to type it is another big thing for me.

if people looking at him is a problem then maybe getting a stroller as a wheelchair tag so that he can have his bubble, and having a lightweight blanket to cover it and have him make it his own space maybe have a glow stick or two attached to the canopy. or a small flashlight he can turn on or off. and having a toy or two for him to play with, or a game on an iPhone, or other device, I know a family with a child on the spectrum that does this and the only time he can play a game on the iPhone is when he is in line and is his cocoon ( AKA stroller) I think his parents have it where he has to be in there for 10 minutes before he can ask for the phone. but he has a small bag with a hand full of toys that he like and often does not need the phone. This does two things for him it distract him, and 2 he really does not care who is looking at him since he can not see them.

I would do it if they made big enough strollers for his size. He is 10 now and almost 5 feet tall. I don't know if any would be big enough for him. He does like having the stroller space to chill but do you think he would fit at this point?

I would do it if they made big enough strollers for his size. He is 10 now and almost 5 feet tall. I don't know if any would be big enough for him. He does like having the stroller space to chill but do you think he would fit at this point?
They are called "special needs" strollers. And they go up to 200 pounds.

You may want to look at Convaid strollers, there are definitely strollers out there that can help!

as other have said there are some specle need stroller here is a link thaken form the Dis board I think the Liberty Pushchair (click on the link) one would work for him.

• Orlando Stroller Rentals
    800-281-0884
    www.orlandostrollerrentals.com
    single strollers and double strollers, including one single stroller with a weight limit to 65 pounds and one to 75 pounds.
    glider board attachments that allow a child of up to 45 pounds to stand behind the stroller.
    They also rent Special Tomato Jogger, which is a special needs stroller with a weight capacity of 110 pounds.
    Orlando Stroller Rentals is well known and well reviewed by DIS posters.
  • Several of the Featured ECV Providers also rent single and double strollers; they are also Featured stroller providers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!