Nervous about trip

hmkenn0

Mouseketeer
So I have been to Disney 100s of times (I even worked there about 15 years ago), but I am nervous this time for two reasons- one, I take medication that states to stay out of the sun. This has NEVER been a problem for me at Disney as they are basically all covered or we just used FP. I slathered in sunscreen and basically just hid under trees. (I learned at Castaway Cay years ago when I first started taking it NOT to ignore this as even with SPF 50 and only 20 min in the water, I got sun poisoning.) I've read on a lot of the threads that many of the lines now stretch out into the sun for long periods. I'm not worried about the heat- but I am worried about my ability to do this- any tips? Second, I had two nerves removed from my foot in July due to an injury a few years ago- and I am nervous about walking- what has the availability of ECVs been like in case I decide to get in one on days 2-5? I know its hard to tell someone else, but I probably haven't walked more than 5,000 steps a day since surgery- would you just go ahead and do ECV from the beginning, or switch over?

I haven't been to Disney since before the pandemic, so can't speak to the situation now.

However, some suggestions in general:

I have sun sensitive skin, both naturally and due to medication. On top of that, I can't use chemical sunscreens, instead have to use mineral sunblocks, most of which I also react to - there are two brands I can use, though I will get a rash even from them given enough time.

My solution is to wear good quality Sun Protective [UPF 50+] clothing. My preferred brand is Coolibar, but there are other brands that are very good. This is not something to cheap out on -- you need to trust that their clothing actually protects the way they say it does, which means going with reputable brands that have a track record.

At WDW I wear long sleeves, long pants, a wide-brimmed hat, fingerless gloves, socks, and solid shoes. For the top I usually wear a short-sleeve shirt of my choice with an overlayer that is sun protective long sleeve [it can be a lighter weight material suitable for the weather] with a hood. I only need sunscreen on the exposed areas, which are few. I find I am actually cooler this way as the sun isn't hitting my skin [which is painful and hot] and the overlayer is light enough that it moves in the breeze creating airflow. Choosing the right weight and type of fabric is important, obviously. You still have to be cognizant of your time in the sun as the clothing is not a 100% sunblock, but I find the good stuff is more effective than sunscreen/sunblock.

(BTW for swimming, at Castaway Cay I wear a normal swimsuit underneath Swim Protective swimwear: long swim tights, long sleeve rash guard, gloves, socks, and hood or at least hat; plus normal water shoes; works for snorkeling too. The only exposed surface is my face).

And of course you know that what people think of as "shade" really isn't so much when you have a sun sensitivity. You can still get sunburned in "shade", and "shade" from above doesn't help much with reflected sun coming up at you from the ground. Mentally, I therefore distinguish between "shade' from the sun and actual "shelter" from the sun, and seek out "shelter".

As for an ECV, if you have done so little walking in a day I personally would give serious thought to just renting an ECV form an external vendor from the get-go. An alternative may be to contact a vendor and see what their availability would be on short notice.

But let me tell you about one trip I had a several years ago. I knew I would need an ECV so we rented one from an offsite vendor. The first night we went to DHS to see the holiday lights. We were only going to be a few hours, and I thought I would be ok, so we left the ECV in the room. By two hours in I was in a lot of pain and having trouble walking. By 3 hours was crying. By 4 hours could barely walk and as we were headed back to the room I wondered if I would make it back and how we would handle that. I was in severe pain the rest of the trip even with the ECV and it nearly ruined the trip. I should have brought the ECV that first night. And I shouldn't have pushed it once I was in pain, we should have gone back to the room.

Since then, the ECV comes if we are going to a park. It may or may not come if we resort hop, it depends on what we are planning. If we're doing a quick trip from WL to Poly for breakfast and I'm having a good morning, then we probably don't bring the ECV. But if we're planning a monorail resort hop with walking tours of each resort and a walk from Poly to GF, we probably will bring it.

FWIW, we had a great experience renting from Gold Mobility for our trip in December 2019. They arranged pickup and dropoff times that were convenient for us, the ECV was basically like new and it worked very well.

Finally, one thing I like to do to help avoid the sun, which unfortunately isn't an option right now, is going to things like the Christmas Party or other after hours-type events.... the sun is close to going down as it starts and then it is dark for most of it :-) Sun problem solved :-) OR we would start later in the day and then park hop in the evening to the park that is open latest -- one trip I remember we would pretty much park hop to Epcot each night... I don't think we ever saw Epcot in day light that trip. Unfortunately with park hours as they are right now and no park hopping, nighttime viewing isn't an option. But do consider that for future trips.

SW

I have an SPF umbrella that is helpful to shade my skin from the sun (I'm very light -- all I do is burn and freckle), you may want to consider buying one of those. Also, perhaps you should get a DAS pass? This would allow you (or someone in your party) to get a return time for a ride that had too much sun exposure in the line and allow you to wait in the shade until the return time. Seems like a legit reason to ask for one at guest services!

Thank you for that advice- totally get the shade vs shelter- you’d be shocked by the people who don’t understand that! Most trips my strategy is rope drop (EMH if possible) leave the park by 10am, and return no sooner than 5pm. But with shortened park hours and no nights (I LOVE evening EMH, and parties)- that isn’t going to work. I also love swimming at the Disney pools at night! I do have SPF clothing and my favorite “floppy hat” that my kids make endless fun of- but even with all of that I’m still nervous. I probably will take your advice and go talk to guest relations as well as rent an ecv. My kids so need a good vacation with a happy healthy mom!

Full time mobility device user, and PMLE sufferer here.

@Starwind had it right, above. Plan on the ECV from the start - your goal with vacation is to arrive home rested, and refreshed with great memories - not in MORE pain and discomfort! The *average* Guest at WDW walks 3 to 10 miles per day; that's a LOT if you haven't been walking a lot at home...

Like my buddy, Starwind, I now have to layer up (typically at least 2 layers) of the SPF clothing, and I still wear a large brimmed hat to make sure I can keep the sun off my face... although that's less of a problem now with masks.

Trying to use an umbrella with an ECV/wheelchair/rollator/walker is typically a disaster waiting to happen. It's difficult enough to deal with all of the sun-prevention measures; holding an umbrella or parasol might work if you were able to walk everywhere, but adding yet another "thing" to your concerns is not needed, and frankly, will just annoy the heck out of other people. (As in, everyone who has to every stand/walk behind you). Plus, if it's at all windy, it becomes an issue - and because that is something you are not used to doing in everyday life (holding up an umbrella for 8+ hours a day) you will find that your arm(s) become tired. Last, but not least, you will have to be extra-careful and more aware, to make sure that you don't accidently poke someone's eye out with the umbrella. Not.worth.it.

Finally, don't count on a DAS - those are for folks who can't wait in the "normal" line, but importantly, it doesn't remove your wait time - it just lets you wait outside the queue. You will still have to find a "safe" place to wait; that may mean you wind up walking further (and thus creating at least the same, if not more Sun exposure) than if you just popped on your hat, and waited 🙂

If you rent an ecv off site you can get one with a sun canopy. Ive never used one so I dont know how effective they are, but maybe it would help

sunscreen bothers me so I wear long sleeve in the park I like Columbia Omni freeze

since everyone has to be 6 feet apart you could try a sun umbrella. I have one like this one and it really helps me with the sun

Thank you, gap2368.

I just bought that umbrella to use if I am caught outside waiting in line then I will use it. And if caught in the rain. I do find it difficult to hold an umbrella in one hand and using my wheelchair joystick, too.

sunscreen bothers me so I wear long sleeve in the park I like Columbia Omni freeze

since everyone has to be 6 feet apart you could try a sun umbrella. I have one like this one and it really helps me with the sun

When we rented from Gold Mobility I originally got the sun canopy as it was
Included for free. When they delivered it and I saw it in person I realized it would not work the way I hoped. It is big. And it really won’t block much sun most of the time as noted above (for the person seated). So I asked if they could please take it off and the delivery person did no questions asked. We did fine without it.

sw

Yipee- Magic Kingdom hours were extended until 8 pm for our Magic Kingdom day so I can use my late afternoon/evening somewhat normal schedule. Thanks for all of the advice about the ECV- I went ahead and rented one and I skipped the canopy because I think you are right- there is no way that will provide the coverage I need (especially if I am driving toward the sun). I'm going to go with my good tennis shoes (I love allbirds for anyone who needs good foot coverage- they are thick enough the sun doesn't get through and somehow the fabric both cools and warms when needed)- Columbia SPF pants, tank base, and long sleeve top and floppy hat. I probably will go to GR and ask about a DAS, but my backup is just begging the mercy of the CMs at the attractions that extend outside to let me jump in with my family once they are fully covered or inside. (Hopefully, that will work and other guests won't be too mean!) I am looking forward to the rest of the park hours being shorter because usually I have to decide the night at parks or getting to swim (since I can't during the day)- this time maybe I will get to swim on most days!

Yipee- Magic Kingdom hours were extended until 8 pm for our Magic Kingdom day so I can use my late afternoon/evening somewhat normal schedule. Thanks for all of the advice about the ECV- I went ahead and rented one and I skipped the canopy because I think you are right- there is no way that will provide the coverage I need (especially if I am driving toward the sun). I'm going to go with my good tennis shoes (I love allbirds for anyone who needs good foot coverage- they are thick enough the sun doesn't get through and somehow the fabric both cools and warms when needed)- Columbia SPF pants, tank base, and long sleeve top and floppy hat. I probably will go to GR and ask about a DAS, but my backup is just begging the mercy of the CMs at the attractions that extend outside to let me jump in with my family once they are fully covered or inside. (Hopefully, that will work and other guests won't be too mean!) I am looking forward to the rest of the park hours being shorter because usually I have to decide the night at parks or getting to swim (since I can't during the day)- this time maybe I will get to swim on most days!

Are you planning on taking the ECV in the queue? That would be a pain in the behind to get past other guests, IMO. I'm thinking that the protocol for maintaining social distancing wouldn't allow someone to walk past everyone either?

Are you planning on taking the ECV in the queue? That would be a pain in the behind to get past other guests, IMO. I'm thinking that the protocol for maintaining social distancing wouldn't allow someone to walk past everyone either?
Yes but I'm just talking about the extended outside part. For instance, there have been mentions of Peter Pan wrapping into Liberty Square, Small World past Pinocchios, etc. I would just try and meet them at wherever it goes into the normal queue where it is covered or inside. I think I may just have to wing it based on the day :-(

I think if you get in line with your family and wait untill people are behind you and say out loud I am going to wait over there in the shade until your back in the shade would work just fine people tend to get upset when they think you were off doing something else ( like a ride and decidd to join your party after) I have done just this got in line with my friend stayed as long as I could then went off where I could see my friend and sat down for a bit ( crowds bother me a lot and I needed some space when I was in line for a meet and greet)

Yes but I'm just talking about the extended outside part. For instance, there have been mentions of Peter Pan wrapping into Liberty Square, Small World past Pinocchios, etc. I would just try and meet them at wherever it goes into the normal queue where it is covered or inside. I think I may just have to wing it based on the day :-(

No, I misunderstood - as long as the queue is accessible at that point by coming in from the side, it should be doable the way you describe it. People do that (or did that) for outdoor character meets last time I was there.

One person waiting somewhere medically safe, then joining their group when they get where you are, should be fine. Especially if you've discussed it with a CM. Everybody waiting with you, then joining the one person in your party who waited in line, not so much :rotfl:but that's not what you're planning.

...I am nervous this time for two reasons- one, I take medication that states to stay out of the sun....
I know its hard to tell someone else, but I probably haven't walked more than 5,000 steps a day since surgery- would you just go ahead and do ECV from the beginning, or switch over?
Working backwards through this... I usually say, when in doubt, start off with an ECV. You can always park it and walkabout as you feel able. Planning on using an ECV in advance lets you rent offsite easier and renting off site for 4 or 5 days will cost about the same as renting from the parks for 2 or 3.

About skin sensitivity, this one sneaks up on me too. With what I'm taking I can stay indoors until 6:00PM then head out feeling safe and still catch a burn. Things that help...
  • wearing full coverage sun-clothes. Like a Bedouin.
  • a sun block that works by actually deflecting sun.
  • Anti-oxidant supplements. I'm not generally one to push health-food holistic cure-alls. But there is a good deal of real science backing anti-oxidants, polyphenols in particular, as a preventative for sun damage. I take a green tea extract and experience much less sensitivity to sun damage.

Working backwards through this... I usually say, when in doubt, start off with an ECV. You can always park it and walkabout as you feel able. Planning on using an ECV in advance lets you rent offsite easier and renting off site for 4 or 5 days will cost about the same as renting from the parks for 2 or 3.

About skin sensitivity, this one sneaks up on me too. With what I'm taking I can stay indoors until 6:00PM then head out feeling safe and still catch a burn. Things that help...
  • wearing full coverage sun-clothes. Like a Bedouin.
  • a sun block that works by actually deflecting sun.
  • Anti-oxidant supplements. I'm not generally one to push health-food holistic cure-alls. But there is a good deal of real science backing anti-oxidants, polyphenols in particular, as a preventative for sun damage. I take a green tea extract and experience much less sensitivity to sun damage.
Thanks for the tips on antioxidants- I’m definitely going to add that to my vitamin D (which I obviously need since I can’t do sun)! I actually like drinking green tea so maybe that with an extract as well could help.

Also I’m convinced on the ecv but the hubby is not so we will see how it goes at AK on day 1 and go from there...

...Also I’m convinced on the ecv but the hubby is not so we will see how it goes at AK on day 1 and go from there...

Let's start with a fact: The average Guest at WDW walks between 3 & 10 miles per *day*.

Nowadays, it's probadly closer to the middle average - about 5 miles per day, only because the parks are closing earlier, and there are fewer late evening/nighttime activities around the property. But just plan on 5 miles per day. An ECV is nothing more than a tool for you to use to make covering that distance possible. You may never have to use one in your "regular" day-to-day life at home. A lot of folks only need to use an ECV or other mobility device at WDW because it can be an extreme situation.

So, tell your hubby that using an ECV is no different than using the correct *tool* for the job. Here's an example: You need to hang a picture, and you have the picture, and a nail or hanger. Do you grab a marshmallow to install that hanger, or use a hammer to pound that nail into the wall? Or do you set the nail on the floor under where you want the picture to go, and *wish* really hard that it will somehow all work out ok? I'm willing to bet that every time, you will pick the right tool to get the job done quickly, efficiently and safely.

Eyeglasses to improve our vision? Those are tools.

Hearing aids to improve hearing? Yep, those are tools, also.

An ECV - or any personal mobility device - is nothing more than a *tool* that we use to get something (in this case, moving around Disney World) done, ideally without more damage to our bodies, or creating more pain. That's all. There's nothing to object to; you are simply using a tool to make sure that you have the best possible vacation (with memories full of fun, not pain), and you arrive back home in the best possible condition - not hurting *more* than when you left home.

Thank you- that is a great analogy. The surgery I had removed more than 2 inches of nerve fiber bundles in two different places- so the pain and healing has been slow (next week will be week one). I did use an ECV at Sea World about 5 years ago when I broke my foot, which is what began my journey to this current surgery, but I wasn't very good at it, so I think that may be why he is worried. Maybe this will convince him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter