"Net Carbs" vs. "Impact Carbs"?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Some low carb products talk about having so many "Impact Carbs" but they don't mention Net Carbs. Also, I notice that the "Impact Carbs" are way different from the total carbs. I think I read that "Net carbs" are what matter in Atkins, not the toal carbs. But what are Impact carbs?

Some products, like some Atkins products and sugar-free chocolates, are sweetened with sugar alcohols (i.e., maltitol, lactitol, etc.). These sweeteners have no "impact" on your blood sugar levels, so can be eaten supposedly without effecting your weight loss.

Most of the time this is true, if you limit these products. But, most people have found that if they eat unlimited amounts of these things their weight loss stalls. So, don't take it as a license to pig out. ;)

Also, beware of the sugar alchohols - they can have a laxitive effect if you eat too much of them! :earseek:

Originally posted by rafikimom
Sometimes on Atkins we need that "effect"!:blush:

Exactly! That alone is reason to love Chocolate Chip Brownie bars-the "laxative" effect! Hope it works!

I've heard somewhere (obviously I don't have a strong source) that if sugar alcohols have a laxative effect on you then they will most likely not effect your blood sugar. However, for those of us who receive no laxative effect and stall immediately upon eating them, we may actually be processing sugar alcohols just as we would sugar...blood sugar spikes and all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter