Netflix will stop working on some older TVs and streaming sticks on Dec 2, 2019 - are you affected?

Jimsig

DIS Veteran
Figured with the debut of Disney+ this week I would put this out there. There is no word on how or even if it will affect Disney+ But if you use Netflix it may affect you

https://www.techradar.com/news/netf...d-streaming-sticks-find-out-if-youre-affected
Basically on some older smart TV's from 2011/2012 and earlier (and some Roku sticks) Netflix will stop working starting in December. Mostly it sounds like because the software needed to run Netflix is getting to large for the older smart TV's and sticks.

Indirectly. My daughter is the one paying for our households account. Her TV is one of the one that will no longer be compatible. She is cancelling her account, therefore I will no longer have access to Netflix.

Not a huge deal for me, as I don't watch much on it.

We've only been on the smart TV and stick scene for the last couple of years, but thanks for the heads up. All of our DVD/Blu-ray players need to be replaced though because they are old and always require firmware updates to run the newer films on disk. 🙃

Our TVs are okay, but if they really start to crack down on the password sharing like they say they are going to and require people to regularly enter a code that they text you to continue watching, I'll probably unsubscribe. I don't have an issue with them cracking down on password sharing, but some of the options they're proposing to stop it sound like a hassle on the end user end, and then it just won't be worth it to me.

Our TVs are okay, but if they really start to crack down on the password sharing like they say they are going to and require people to regularly enter a code that they text you to continue watching, I'll probably unsubscribe. I don't have an issue with them cracking down on password sharing, but some of the options they're proposing to stop it sound like a hassle on the end user end, and then it just won't be worth it to me.

Agreed. I will quit before I put up with that.

I bought a new roku a few weeks back on learning this..... and I don't even like netflix much at the moment! But I LOVE that new roku,can't believe how fast it works in comparison!

We have a 65” Samsung smart tv we bought in 2015. It is a great tv & we love it. We are getting a roku stick to get Disney+. But that’s as far as I’ll go to get a streaming service. We also have Hulu & cable service. Our last tv was a Sony that doesn’t after only 3 years. There’s no way I’m going to ditch a perfectly good tv just to buy a newer model so we can get Netflix or any streaming service. There’s nothing I want to watch that bad.

There’s no way I’m going to ditch a perfectly good tv just to buy a newer model so we can get Netflix or any streaming service.

No need to spend hundreds on a TV when you can buy a streaming stick between $25 (if on sale) and $50. I have 2 plasma TV's from 2006 and an early smart TV that I can't download outside apps to, just those the manufacturer allows. I have 2 4K Fire Sticks and an original 1st gen Fire TV and they work great on all the TV's. Even when it comes time for a new TV I probably won't use the smart capabilities and just hook up one of the Fire Sticks

No need to spend hundreds on a TV when you can buy a streaming stick between $25 (if on sale) and $50. I have 2 plasma TV's from 2006 and an early smart TV that I can't download outside apps to, just those the manufacturer allows. I have 2 4K Fire Sticks and an original 1st gen Fire TV and they work great on all the TV's. Even when it comes time for a new TV I probably won't use the smart capabilities and just hook up one of the Fire Sticks

Yep, that’s why we’re getting the Roku stick. I was referring to if that isn’t an option. Still not ditching a tv for a streaming service

We don’t have a streaming stick but I’ve just attached my phone or iPad with a cable to an HTML port on the side of the tv, change the input to the HTML port and then pull up Netflix, Amazon prime or Disney + up on the tv that way, directly through my device which is the projected onto the tv,. Hulu however will not work on my older Sony, even that way. I get sound but no picture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!