Never been please help!

taraaplin

Mouseketeer
We are are family of five. Our children are boys who will be 7, 12, and 15. We have been to Disney multiple times to so understand rope drop etc.

How do I go about booking universal. Is there anything I should know. Do you have to research parks/days like Disney. Where to go for discounts like room etc. Disney posts that on their page, but I don’t see any on universal’s. Anything to know about food? Can you bring food and drinks in parks like Disney? Sorry I feel like a fish out of water here.

Book room-only at loewshotels.com. Buy tickets wherever you like. You can consider looking for AP rates using APH as the code there. If there is a rate and it would be worth upgrading an adult to an ap, book it and get the ap at some point.

You can bring in food and drink. I know of only once when it was restricted, and that was over Mardi Gras when they were also filming a sharknado movie there.

If you stay onsite deluxe you get early entwnce every morning to a Wizarding World and you get unlimited express pass from the time you check in until parks close the day you check out.

You can bring in food/drinks until five (or maybe six) in the evening. This is when people start pouring into Citywalk. You can't have a rolling cooler of course, but typical lunch bags/insulated back packs are fine. If you or your spouse have a military id, you can get military discounts at the on-property resorts and many others nearby. The two parks are so close together and so many people have park to park tickets that attendance between the two doesn't vary nearly as much as at Disney. One exception is when one of the parks closes early for a special event, like Halloween Horror nights or grad nights. Like with Disney and everywhere else, weekends and holidays are busier. Avoid them if you can. If you stay off property and rope drop, go to the park without early entry first. If there are discounts/special rates for the hotels, it's usually mentioned on the main hotel info page on Universal's website. They don't post them as far in advance as Disney does. If you book onsite without a discount, check the website regularly to see if they added any promotions.

If you are going to dine in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, buying a meal plan will save you money. I think they're $22 for an adult. Most meals in the Harry Potter sections are 12-15; drinks are around 3; butterbeer and the ice cream are 6-7. A meal plan gets you an entree with a drink, a snack (butterbeer is a snack), and another drink. You can buy the plan at the register when you are paying for your meal. It is easy to lose money on the plan, so do the math first to be sure it is worth it. You definitely save money if you stick to food in the wizarding world and get either ice cream or butterbeer for the snack.

It would really help if you’d give us an idea of when you’re going and how long you want to stay, and whether you are on a tight budget. We can pitch in with some more specific advise.

Onsite hotels get cheaper the longer you stay. There are great express pass perks (similar to a fast pass in Disney speak) that can be used on all the rides and unlimited times at 3 of the onsite hotels. The other hotels have early entry.

Most of us don’t book packages but book hotel and tickets seperately. You don’t have to research the park days as much (if you have express pass not at all). UO is a lot more relaxed.

Check out the resort threads on that part of the forum on here for more info. on each of the onsite hotels and which include just the early entry to HP, and those that also include express pass(like a FP for every ride during your park days). Check Undercover Tourist for discounted tickets. Use FAQ thread on this forum for a good overview. I also like this site: http://wdwprepschool.com/a-disney-world-freaks-guide-to-universal-orlando/ for a good overview w/comparisons of rides to some of Disney's for reference(may be a few years old but still good info.).

If you don't do express pass hotel (or purchase it which can be pricey) you want to do major rides 1st to avoid lines later(Minions, Transformers, Rip Ride Rocket, Shrek, Mummy in US and Marvel & Jurassic areas in IOA). FYI that water rides can really soak you, especially Popeye, so be prepared with change of clothes or do before break or end of day in case.

If you book room and tickets separately can you add the dining plan to a room only reservation?

I know you can with Disney but its not widely known or advertised....I am wondering if the same is possible for US?

The dining plan exists as an add on for anyone AND it can just be purchased day of right there on the spot at the restaurant cash register. But, it’s not an amazing deal and many just skip it. Research it to really understand if it’ll be useful to how you eat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!