Never been to hawaii... help!

Next_disney_princess

Mouseketeer
Hi! So my daughter is begging to go to Hawaii when she turns 10 (I have 2 years to plan and save) we live in Florida and visit Disney 2 to 3 times a year. We have never been to Hawaii. I am thinking Aulani is the place for us to stay even though it's quite pricey. I want us to have some Disney magic while there an am hoping we will get that. Since Aulani is Disney can I use Disney gift cards for the reservation? If I can that would be amazing! I'm open to any and all suggestions and tips. I know I'm way early in planning but it's by far going to be our most expensive vacation we've taken.

Good news! You can use Disney gift cards for payment of your reservation and all around the resort at restaurants and shops, etc.

I'm happy to give you more advice but I would definitely advise reading through some of the great trip reports here. I would also recommend to look into DVC points rental. If you are not familiar with the process a quick google search should yield the ins-and-outs. It is VASTLY cheaper to rent DVC points than to pay Disney directly, even using discounted gift cards at a discounted time of travel. As an example, we went over Christmas this year. For kicks and giggles, I looked up the cost of renting DVC points or renting our Ocean View Studio directly from Disney. So the two nights renting DVC points would have come to a hefty $1,116.00 or $558 per night. Through Disney, the same stay in 2019 would run you $2,446.40 at rack rate including tax, or an incredible $1,223.20 per night. So you can save even more than 50% renting DVC points.

I would also really consider doing a split stay for your time there. Aulani is absolutely amazing and while you are there you may want to spend your time focusing on the resort and not running around the island. There are much less expensive places you can stay as a "home base" for exploring - and it is SO worth it to explore the rest of Oahu. The North Shore is beautiful and there are many great restaurants around the island, as well as worthwhile museums, zipline tours, Pearl Harbor historical site, and much more. I would aim for at least 4 nights at Aulani and then spend the rest of your vacation either exploring Oahu from another hotel as home base or hopping over to another island.

I was probably your daughter's current age when I went to Hawaii as a child - I loved it. Obviously this predates Aulani, but even without any Disney at all, it was so magical. What a wonderful thing for you to plan this special trip for her. Please let me know if you have any specific questions or if I can help!

It is never too early to start planning for a trip like this! I agree with pepperandchips, check out some of the trip reports here on the DIS Boards. I am partial to this one...because I wrote it... :)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/c...big-island-august-2018.3703678/#post-59685429

Best advice, soak in everything that is Aulani, but also spread your wings and explore what the island or other islands offer. You will not be disappointed! Happy planning!

My daughter was 10 when we first took her to Hawaii. We did the Big Island first and then Aulani. We definitely want to go back! At her age, she loved the pools, snorkeling at the beach next door, eating Shave Ice, doing activities in the community room, fire pit storytelling with Uncle, and zip lining (we did that on the Big Island).

I found it to be a great mix of Disney and Hawaii. You will definitely find magic in seeing characters, as well as the Disney brand of customer service and storytelling. But you aren't overwhelmed with Mickey and Disney-themed things; Hawaii itself is the star of the resort. Like yourselves, we visit WDW 2-3x a year, so we went wanting a Hawaiian experience (bonus that it was at a Disney resort). :)

Also, I second the recommendation about renting DVC points. It's really easy either through the DIS or one of the websites that offer it.

Thanks for posting this topic!!! I too will be visiting Aulani for the first time. Have already been to all of the islands (through NCL America). Fantastic trip. What is there to do at and around Aulani?

What is there to do at and around Aulani?
Tons- so much information in this forum, I would highly advise browsing through some threads and especially trip reports. To get you started though, below is a little summary.

There is a daily resort activities guide called the Daily Iwa. You can see a sample Iwa on the aulani website and pick it up each day you are there at the front desk. It’s similar to the activity guide on a cruise. There are free family and children’s activities (ukulele lessons, art classes, Lei making, etc), paid extra activities available for an additional fee, a children’s activity center (like on a cruise ship), character greeting opportunities, and more. There’s an interactive adventure hunt around the resort with a tablet. Exercise classes are available by reservation (and I think incur a fee). There is a full service spa and salon, with garden baths and showers. A gym is available for guest use. You can visit the nearby resorts for a meal if you wish or go to the luau at Paradise Cove next door. There are small shops and a few restaurants across the street and golf is available in the Ko Olina community as well. A marina is nearby for snorkel sails or sunset cruises, whale watching in season, etc. Stand Up Paddleboards are available for rent in the Aulani lagoon paid by the time used. There’s an artificial reef snorkeling attraction at aulani stocked with fish (for an extra fee). Jogging/walking paths connect all of the Ko Olina resorts for exercise or a stroll along the lagoons.

The main attraction at Aulani for me is the pool complex. There are water slides, a lazy river, pools, and hot tubs where I can easily spend all day. There are lounge chairs and sun umbrellas set up on the beach for guest use at no extra cost.

And that’s just Ko Olina. Since you’ve already been to Oahu I’m not sure if you’d want to leave the resort area but there are tons of things to do all over the island.

Happy planning!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter