Never say never...New Year New Plan **a NYE 2018/2019 PTR** Updated 12/26

That 180 day mark doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of being able to book whatever dining you want. If you can't find something, just use the Touring Plans reservation finder, and carry on living your life. But, we also don't care **too** much about the hard to get places. At this point, we are more interested in trying new to us restaurants. If I were trying to get a coveted spot at California Grill or CRT, you'd better believe I'm up with the sun and online!
Yeah, I let this get to me on our trip because I was having trouble getting Ohana since 180 days was past... turns out I worried for no reason because I ended up playing musical chairs with three ADRs mid trip, and got the Ohana time I wanted to begin with.
Dinner tonight will be Shula's!! This one is a non-negotiable. @Raeven has been very good at convincing me that this is a must do, and all four of us are excited about it.
Yes! Raevens DRs convinced me too and it was the best steak I've had in my life. Everything was amazing.
Now we're adding wisdom teeth extraction to our Thanksgiving break plans
Oh no! I had mine out over Christmas break back in the day :welcome:

Halloween!! If you need me I'll just be over here like...

pumpkin-dance-gif.355235

RXjQk1T.gif

It turns out, I like the atmosphere and the lobby - 100% for sure! But I felt really removed from what I loved out in the Hawaii building.

That's how we felt the one time we stayed there a couple years ago, but it was so much more than most the hotels that it just didn't seem worth it again when we liked some of the cheaper ones better.

One thing that was very much like last year is...we booked after the 180 day mark. Here's what I have learned after many trips under my belt. That 180 day mark doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of being able to book whatever dining you want. If you can't find something, just use the Touring Plans reservation finder, and carry on living your life. But, we also don't care **too** much about the hard to get places. At this point, we are more interested in trying new to us restaurants. If I were trying to get a coveted spot at California Grill or CRT, you'd better believe I'm up with the sun and online!

Yeah, I barely bother with ADR's anymore, we always end up changing them plus there's better availability day of than any other time after 180 days.

Dinner tonight will be Shula's!! This one is a non-negotiable. @Raeven has been very good at convincing me that this is a must do, and all four of us are excited about it.

Yay!

Yes! Raevens DRs convinced me too and it was the best steak I've had in my life. Everything was amazing.

Ooo I'm glad you had a good meal! Yes! That's why I always recommend it, it's the best steak!

October doesn't come without stress...every year I say, "don't let me be in charge of fall festival at school"...and every year I do it anyway.

:rotfl2: Oh dear!

It turns out, I like the atmosphere and the lobby - 100% for sure! But I felt really removed from what I loved out in the Hawaii building.

Oh interesting! That actually makes a lot of sense. That's something I love about WL and AKL. And we also didn't enjoy Poly as much as we expected. Though that didn't seem to bother us about the GF. Not sure why. Maybe we just spent more time in the lobby and pool areas then, etc.

We have lunch booked at Mama Melrose...mainly b/c it's the only TS meal we've never done at DHS.

We haven't done this yet, either! If you do keep it, I'll be anxious to hear your review.

We're cancelling b/c I've booked the After Fireworks Dessert Party, and we'll probably just do QS.

Nice! Good plan.

Oooohhhh @Raeven is the reason we went here, too. And it was SO good. One of the best dinners ever.

Also on the list are Kona Cafe, Grand Floridian Cafe, and Whispering Canyon breakfast.

Mmmmm Kona and GF Cafe would be my votes.

Now we're adding wisdom teeth extraction to our Thanksgiving break plans, and will be paying roughly the same amount as my budget for the as yet up in the air solo trip in May. Blech!!

Oh no!! Poor X! And Poor S's bank account!

Just found out I made round two of the Disney Parks Moms Panel Search!! Third year is a charm! Not holding my breath to make it any farther, but I'm just excited to move one step closer this year.

Yeah, I let this get to me on our trip because I was having trouble getting Ohana since 180 days was past... turns out I worried for no reason because I ended up playing musical chairs with three ADRs mid trip, and got the Ohana time I wanted to begin with.

Oh no! I had mine out over Christmas break back in the day :welcome:

Yay for getting Ohana!! I always move things around so much, I rarely have any original ADRs by the time the trip rolls around, LOL

Ooh, i'm glad to hear your Shula's experience was good too. I'm so excited and hungry :rotfl:

He is pretty annoyed with me for making it over Thanksgiving break, but he'll have almost a full week before eating time on turkey day

Happy October! Good luck with your dance planning!

Your plans sound good so far!

Thank you!! I'm looking forward to the dance being over so I will be free from anything else major and can focus on the trip, lol

Sounds like you have a good plan so far and the right mentality going into a trip that time of year.

After last year, I've decided that going zen is the only way to manage NYE there :rotfl::rotfl:

RXjQk1T.gif

That's how we felt the one time we stayed there a couple years ago, but it was so much more than most the hotels that it just didn't seem worth it again when we liked some of the cheaper ones better.

Yeah, I barely bother with ADR's anymore, we always end up changing them plus there's better availability day of than any other time after 180 days.

Did i tell you I bought the Pop figure??? :rotfl2: We found it at Hot Topic and I purchased it immediately

Can you believe Poly was actually our cheapest option this time?? (mainly b/c i want to stay tower at Contemporary and not garden wing, but i might just have to suck it up and deal if I ever want to stay there, b/c I can't justify the cost of a tower room on a solo trip)

I change ADRs more than anything else on a trip. It's hard to commit, lol

Yayyyyyy :dogdance::dogdance::dogdance:

:rotfl2: Oh dear!

Oh interesting! That actually makes a lot of sense. That's something I love about WL and AKL. And we also didn't enjoy Poly as much as we expected. Though that didn't seem to bother us about the GF. Not sure why. Maybe we just spent more time in the lobby and pool areas then, etc.

We haven't done this yet, either! If you do keep it, I'll be anxious to hear your review.

Nice! Good plan.

Oooohhhh @Raeven is the reason we went here, too. And it was SO good. One of the best dinners ever.

Mmmmm Kona and GF Cafe would be my votes.

Oh no!! Poor X! And Poor S's bank account!

Why won't I learn??? Next year i'm done with middle school completely and retiring, so it's the last fall event for me FOR REAL this time!!

It is why i'm nervous to stay at the GF, b/c I know I'd want to feel a part of things, and not segmented off in my room building. Same with CR, although I don't care too much about the lobby there, I just want the view from a tower room, LOL

I am leaning toward keeping it if we do end up going to DHS that day. The problem is, I want the steak b/c @chunkymonkey reviewed it pretty positively, but I know I'll want steak at citricos and I'm not sure I can do steak twice in one day. Decisions, decisions!

And speaking of steak...i cannot WAIT for Shula's!!!! I'm glad you had a great experience there too. So far so good with the reviews coming back on that. And @Raeven - Shula's should be paying you for advertising!!

GF Cafe is tempting me with the lobster benedict. I love it so much!!

He is pretty annoyed with me for making it over Thanksgiving break, but he'll have almost a full week before eating time on turkey day
This reminded me, when I had to get braces in high school, I had to get spacers on my molars a month or two before? And my mom scheduled it for the day before Thanksgiving. Good thing I like to eat insane amounts of crescent rolls for Thanksgiving!

We've been talking about doing Thanksgiving or Christmas/NYE sometime down the line... after DHs grandparents' go, I don't see the big family get-together on that side any more happening... even though they're not all that big of a family (<20 people).

This reminded me, when I had to get braces in high school, I had to get spacers on my molars a month or two before? And my mom scheduled it for the day before Thanksgiving. Good thing I like to eat insane amounts of crescent rolls for Thanksgiving!

We've been talking about doing Thanksgiving or Christmas/NYE sometime down the line... after DHs grandparents' go, I don't see the big family get-together on that side any more happening... even though they're not all that big of a family (<20 people).

That is a terrible time to get spacers!! I hated those stupid things!! I would have been so upset about dealing with those through a holiday dinner. That's part of the reason we went with alternative orthodontics for X and his jacked up teeth (a new thing called myobrace treatment he did for two years, and now he has Invisalign to finish things up). Although the invisalign are making his molars hurt as they shift...still nothing compared to regular braces and all that comes along with them. But I also never had to have my wisdom teeth removed, so I guess I'll take my minor braces discomfort, LOL

I think Thanksgiving would be a good time to go, it's something I think about a lot!

Just found out I made round two of the Disney Parks Moms Panel Search!! Third year is a charm! Not holding my breath to make it any farther, but I'm just excited to move one step closer this year.

oOoO how exciting!! :flower1:

Oooh good luck!!

I am leaning toward keeping it if we do end up going to DHS that day. The problem is, I want the steak b/c @chunkymonkey reviewed it pretty positively, but I know I'll want steak at citricos and I'm not sure I can do steak twice in one day. Decisions, decisions!

ooh, I totally want the steak because of @chunkymonkey's review, too!! :laughing: We really pushed the limits of how many steaks a human being can safely consume in one vacation back in August, and we survived. I say go for ALL the steak!

And speaking of steak...i cannot WAIT for Shula's!!!! I'm glad you had a great experience there too. So far so good with the reviews coming back on that. And @Raeven - Shula's should be paying you for advertising!!

Oh my goodness, I think this was easily Nathan's favourite meal. ...of the trip....or maybe just of all of life. It also evoked a quote that almost became our TR title: "Mr. Salmon is here. Please prepare his cowboy." ....mmmmmm Shula's..... :goodvibes

ooh, I totally want the steak because of @chunkymonkey's review, too!! :laughing: We really pushed the limits of how many steaks a human being can safely consume in one vacation back in August, and we survived. I say go for ALL the steak!

Haha are you guys talking about the Mama Melrose Steak? It is indeed really tasty and really cheap compared to Shula's or Yachtsman or any of the signatures. One thing I'd do is tell them to go rare though as I think they do overcook it slightly, but it is still good.

Although now I have to go to Shula's because @Raeven keeps talking about it and now you all have me convinced!

Haha are you guys talking about the Mama Melrose Steak? It is indeed really tasty and really cheap compared to Shula's or Yachtsman or any of the signatures. One thing I'd do is tell them to go rare though as I think they do overcook it slightly, but it is still good.

Although now I have to go to Shula's because @Raeven keeps talking about it and now you all have me convinced!
Do it, Do it...

Tho the MM steak was really good too.

Yes, it was Mama Melrose. And yes, you should definitely go to Shula's! It was an excellent experience! And mmmmm.....yummy steak....Nom!

Did i tell you I bought the Pop figure??? :rotfl2: We found it at Hot Topic and I purchased it immediately

NO! I didn't know that!

I'm glad you had a great experience there too. So far so good with the reviews coming back on that. And @Raeven - Shula's should be paying you for advertising!!

I was just wondering how many people went to Shula's because we keep telling them to go :rotfl:

so we'll be there from 12/30 - 1/5
How exciting :) We are doing a few pre cruise days in the parks, and our dates overlap yours— 1/1-1/5

I feel like this could be a really magical trip!
Love this!

October wins hands down in the contest of "best months ever"
DH would completely agree with you! He LOVES Halloween. He and I both have October birthdays, too, so I’ve always been partial to October.

Yep, the best day in October is also FP day. Let's hope for more treats, less tricks that morning.
Yes for more treats than tricks!! (Our FP day is Nov 2)

Hey guys! It's been awhile, but I'm back from the depths of Halloween Dance planning - it's over and it went great!! Turns out I reallllly enjoy watching kids get scared in haunted houses, LOL!!

Last week one of our local movie theaters had the original Halloween playing for a couple of nights. We went last Tuesday (I bought the tickets a month ahead of time, I was excited!), and it was so much fun to see a classic on the big screen.

Tomorrow night we have tickets to see the new one, Friday we're going on a Ghost Walk downtown that highlights local ghost stories and legends, and Saturday we're going to a Leon Bridges concert. I get finished with one busy week and move on to one busy weekend :scared1:

With all that school stuff behind me, I can think about other things and catch up on tv! I'm currently very involved with The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix, and it's creepy and sad and very, very good.

I know you're not here to read about me watching scary movies and tv shows, so let's move on to Disney trip stuff!!

Chapter Two: Day One struggles

I think I need to talk through my thought process for Day One of our trip. Initially this would have been our arrival day, so it would have been a half day probably. But now, since we're flying in the night before and staying at MCO, this day is a full day.

We'll get up and take the Magical Express to the Polynesian pretty early I think. We'll all be excited to get things started.

We were going to just go to Disney Springs this day, and maybe do the Epcot kiosks for dinner or order in the Twilight Feast.

Those plans have gone out the window

One thing that's a definite do - I booked the new Snow White dinner at Artist Point at 5:20pm. So we're locked in there, I'm not willing to change it.

The day in question is 12/30, so it's also the last day of holiday kiosks at Epcot. We could go there and see if we could catch a couple of storytellers and eat at some of the kiosks around the World Showcase.
I should just call it good and go with that, right?? But I also want to see the Christmas Parade at the Magic Kingdom. Is that a bad idea? Maybe we could go to Epcot in the morning, monorail over to MK for the 3:30 parade, then take the boat over to WL? I'm just worried this will make the day too hectic, when I promised everyone we'd take things slow for the first day.

I want to avoid this:

and make it more like this:

If we end up at Epcot, I'll probably make a Fast Pass for Frozen since we'll be doing Test Track and Soarin' on other days. Maybe Spaceship Earth, because it's a favorite, but we'll be doing that another day too.

I guess the other option is to just go to the Magic Kingdom instead, but I would feel guilty if I'm the only reason we're going because of the parade.

I told DH and the boys they have to start giving input this week because Fast Pass day is on Halloween and coming soon!

This time around I really want to make sure I take everyone's feelings into consideration

I'm a little all over the place right now!!

One thing that's a definite do - I booked the new Snow White dinner at Artist Point at 5:20pm. So we're locked in there, I'm not willing to change it.
I can't wait to see what that is like! YEAH!

I should just call it good and go with that, right?? But I also want to see the Christmas Parade at the Magic Kingdom. Is that a bad idea? Maybe we could go to Epcot in the morning, monorail over to MK for the 3:30 parade, then take the boat over to WL? I'm just worried this will make the day too hectic, when I promised everyone we'd take things slow for the first day.
That is hard. I mean that sounds like a decent plan. It's a lot but I don't think it is too much. Is there a chance that you MK will be closed for capacity?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter