New 2018 TIcket Prices

So I just blogged about this and thought I'd share. I didn't wanna start a new thread, so I'll throw it on here:

On Sunday, Disney announced a slew of price increases at Disney World and Disneyland. Park tickets saw the biggest bump across the board, going up between $2-$11, depending on the ticket type, park, and day.

Of course, Disney fans went into a frenzy. Our favorite already expensive vacation spot just got more expensive! We have a right to be angry! I immediately opened Google Docs and started to furiously pound away at my keyboard. Word after word about how I’d never be back! My anger subsided and my vow to never return turned into “I’ll be going on a far-less frequent basis!”

I gave myself a day to really digest it. After much thought, I’m okay with it (ducks). No, seriously, I’m okay with the price increase, and I’ll tell you why…

Supply and Demand

Disney is a business—and a darn good one. I’m currently looking for an apartment in Brooklyn. It’s unfair how expensive some of these apartments are. I’d have to pay almost $2,300 to live in an apartment the size of a room at the All-Star Sports resort. But if I don’t rent it, there’s a hundred other people who will.

Disney has been consistently crowded lately—and when the new lands open, it’ll be even more crowded. I may have only gotten a C in Economics, but I understand the principle of supply and demand. If you didn’t think Disney was going to raise prices, you’re crazy.

It’s Been Way too Crowded

We go every year for Christmas. We know what to expect. It’s the most popular time to travel to Walt Disney World, which means high crowds, long wait times, and peak pricing. After our normal chaotic trip during Christmas, my sister and I decided to book a quick trip in January. We always heard that January was typically a “slow time” at Disney, so we were surprised to see high crowds and wait times that rivaled Christmastime.

There’s no more “down time” at Disney. Gone are the days of going on Touring Plans and scouting out the least-popular travel dates and being able to walk on almost every ride.

The parks are crowded almost everyday, and are becoming less and less enjoyable as a result.

Unless you’re able to secure a FastPass+, you’ll be waiting at least 1.5-2 hours to ride the more popular attractions. Getting restaurant reservations are becoming more and more difficult, and grabbing a good spot for parades or fireworks means lining up at least an hour in advance—just for someone to come and cut in front of you, anyway.

The fact is, Disney will always draw a crowd. Price increases won’t keep everyone away and it certainly won’t keep my family from going. It may lead to us going less frequently, however. Rather than going every year, we may take a break or start going every other year.

I do believe the goal (other than making money) is to manipulate the crowds and even-out attendance throughout the year—rather than having constant crowds and guests waiting hours to ride one attraction. I think Disney will use the proposed tiered pricing to lower demand during times like Christmas, July 4th, school breaks, and other holidays—to a point where they’re still making money hand-over-fist, while providing guests with a much more enjoyable in-park experience.

Disney’s Goal is to Convert First Timers

Everyone knows someone who’s saving for Disney. Maybe they’re still waiting to meet their goal, or they’re holding out until Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge opens, or for the 50th anniversary. Whatever the reason, there will finally come a time when they save enough to go to Disney World—only to wait two hours for Space Mountain, and three hours for Flights of Passage.

Suddenly, they wonder why they spent all those years saving their hard-earned money to wait in line. They’ll refuse to ever return!

Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge is set to bring in record-setting crowds. Disney fans are not the only ones salivating at the idea of Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge (and Hollywood Studios no longer being under construction); The new land will bring in a whole new slew of guests eager to get the Star Wars experience. This is Disney’s opportunity to convert non-Disney fans into lifelong-faithful customers.

It’ll Soon Be Worth The Price of Admission

If Pandora is any indication, Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge is going to be breathtakingly good. It’s easy to get wrapped up in the discussion of how “prices keep going up and Disney is still under construction!” The fact is, in a year or two (and again in 2021), Disney parks are going to look very, very different. Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge and Toy Story Land will be added to Hollywood Studios; Animal Kingdom will continue to grow; The Tron Coaster will come to Magic Kingdom; and Epcot will add a few new attractions and restaurants.

Disney will also streamline transportation throughout the resort area. Some Value and Moderates resorts will see added value, with the new Skyliner gondola system. Disney is also adding separate lanes for buses on roads throughout Walt Disney World to avoid traffic buildups. The hope is that this will lead to a much-more efficient transportation system at Disney, allowing guests to spend more time in the parks, and less time in traffic.

There’s More to Do Than The Parks

During our short 2-day trip, my sister and I spent a solid chunk of time outside the parks. Albeit, the Pro Bowl was going on and we spent a lot of time at the practice, but we also made sure to stop by Disney Springs.

Disney Springs has come a long way since transitioning from Downtown Disney. Between the bars, restaurants, shopping, and entertainment, you can easily spend an entire day or night there. Rather than go drink around the World Showcase, guests can easily set up a bar crawl around Disney Springs, or spend the evening going to lounges at the monorail resorts.

You Can Stay Off-site

Disney has become much more inclusive of the off-site resorts. Guests staying at Disney’s Swan and Dolphin receive Disney transportation, as well as many of the same perks as on-site guests. Both resorts feature the same proximity to the parks as its Deluxe resorts, but at moderate prices.

Many off-site resorts in the Disney Springs area are now eligible for Extra Magic Hours and are able to book FastPass+ selections up to 60 days out. Guests can save some money by staying at the Best Western, for example, and still receive some of the same perks as those staying at an on-site resort.

It’s as Expensive as You Make It

If you told me a few years ago that my family would stay not just once, but multiple times at a Deluxe resort, I’d probably assume we won the lottery at some point. Staying at a Deluxe resort was once a “bucket list” item for us. Once we stayed, we were hooked.

Can we have an enjoyable vacation at a Moderate? Absolutely. And we have—we stayed at Coronado last Easter and had a blast; but for us, we much prefer the convenience of being right by Epcot and within walking distance of Hollywood Studios.

Some people will only dine at Signature restaurants; others believe in loading up a cooler with snacks and bottles of water to save money; some people go for the Park Hopper; others do one park per day. How you travel and spend your money is your business. Disney will always be expensive, but it’s also as expensive as you make it. There are plenty of money-saving tips out there.

Disney is a Luxury Vacation

I may take some slack here, but at the end of the day, Disney is a luxury vacation. Because it’s a family destination, many people feel that Disney should be priced as such. For most, Disney is a place you spend years saving for—just as some spend years saving for a trip to Europe, or a vacation in Hawaii.

The Longer-Stay Tickets Aren’t as Affected

Four, five, and six-day tickets were the most affected, seeing as much as an 8.6% increase. 7-10 day park tickets went up between 1-1.2%. This was the most off-putting aspect of the ticket increase. We did a 5-day trip back in October with our cousins. It was their first trip, and while we were Annual Passholders, they were not. Had we put the trip off another year, their trip would have gone up by at least $75-$100.

Now, you can argue that $75-$100 is a “drop in the bucket” compared to an already lofty $6-$7k, but it adds up! That $75-$100 could be two quick service dinners or a nice table service!

Obviously there’s a reason for everything Disney does. Just as Disney makes the cost per day go down with the more days you add—Disney is now pushing guests who’d normally go for five or six days to prolong their trip.

Truth be told, given the price increase, as well as other factors, my family won’t be able to go to Disney quite as much as we’d like...and maybe that’s a good thing. It’s time to explore new places and see new things. Rather than go every year or multiple times a year, we may find ourselves going every other year or every few years—taking one 10-day trip to “get it out of our system” and fully explore the parks. I think a lot of people will look to do the same—which I think is exactly what Disney was planning for all along.

Well said!

Thanks Robo. I think I know the answer, but just want to verify. I have a 10 night stay/10 day ticket package booked through Disney in August under the old prices (pre Feb 11th). If I call now dropped one day to 9 nights/9 day tickets I would still get the old ticket pricing structure right?

Dan

To PlutoTheDog89 -
Very well written post - and well worth reading.

To that I'd add the comment many people have made - how EVERY entertainment choice is very overpriced. Concerts with popular stars / top plays /not to mention professional sports (I'm an NFL season ticket holder).

Disney never was a spontaneous decision (if you didn't live nearby). But we managed to go 4 times in 5 years back in the 90s. Flying from the midwest. Family of 5. We weren't rich by any means.

I can't see how anyone with a family that size could do that today unless they are making well above the median family of five income.

(EDIT - and then I see DisneyFive post and signature right above mine after I hit submit - making a liar out of me! Or maybe you live nearby. Or are rich?)

One point of correction to "Pluto" - the Swan and Dolphin are of course non-Disney resorts, but I certainly would NOT call them "off-site". We've stayed there often (much more affordable) and they are an easy walk to Epcot - a bit more of a walk to the Studios - but the boat goes direct to there.

Plus an easy walk to Yacht and Beach Club (Beaches and Cream! Cape May Buffet!) and an easy walk to the Boardwalk (looking forward to seeing what's new there since our last trip years ago).

155 days to go!

Thanks Robo. I think I know the answer, but just want to verify. I have a 10 night stay/10 day ticket package booked through Disney in August under the old prices (pre Feb 11th). If I call now dropped one day to 9 nights/9 day tickets I would still get the old ticket pricing structure right?

Unknown.
-Maybe.

Call and ask.
In this case, you'll be at the "mercy" of the phone CM, so what you are told will be what you will be charged.

Unknown.
-Maybe.

Call and ask.
In this case, you'll be at the "mercy" of the phone CM, so what you are told will be what you will be charged.

Ok, will do. Thanks Robo. I ran the numbers and it's not a huge difference either way with such a long stay.

Dan

Unknown.
-Maybe.

Call and ask.

Having bought the 9 day Hopper Plus e-ticket via UCT - is there any reasonable way to upgrade to the 10th day if necessary?

....maybe..... I don't know. I considered myself a hardcore,disney lovin' old school longtime visitor...... and now I don't. This upcoming trip in spring is my last planned trip for a long time to the parks. And that's a first for me, but combine the difficulties of the FP/MDE system (I hated it from day 1) the rising ticket prices,the elimination of NE tickets,and finally the exp. date at end of year purchased on all tickets..... I'm done for a while. I'm sad about it, but there are other things to see in life. Those are the main things that have been bugging me personally. (don't get me started on promised free 'perks' that become monetized) Ah well. When I listened to a podcast describing the cost of a park ticket in 1985(the year I started going) as approx. $13.00 (YOU HEARD ME!!) compared to the current $100+ to enter a park and I just about:faint::eek::faint: and it clarified for me a few things....

Disney was badly underpriced in the early 1980's though. The company had hit rock bottom and was generating so little cash that they couldn't invest in their parks. Corporate raiders pointed out that Disneyland would be better off being demolished because the land would be worth more as housing, and the company made serious moves to keep itself from being broken up. It wasn't until 1984 that (the often fan-hated) Michael Eisner was brought in, who began a plan to increase prices so that the company would finally get the revenue that the public was willing to pay. Love Eisner or hate him, the reality is that he turned around Disney parks and invested a lot of money to make them better.

Sunday morning. My plans changed today - going in September but a day longer

You have (what we'll call) "2017" Tickets.

Since we don't yet KNOW exactly how the new and current upgrade procedure will be handled,
I'll lay out a possibility:

$580.43 10-day Hopper Plus: Current Price
-$553.80 9-day Hopper Plus: 2017 Price
=$26.63 Cost to Upgrade to 10-day (Educated Guess)

All prices include tax.

Check back in a few days to see if I find out if I'm right with that figure.

Since we don't yet KNOW exactly how the new and current upgrade procedure will be handled,

All prices include tax.

Thank you! More than I could have paid but certainly not a show stopper. Two of us have APs.

Disney was badly underpriced in the early 1980's though. The company had hit rock bottom and was generating so little cash that they couldn't invest in their parks. Corporate raiders pointed out that Disneyland would be better off being demolished because the land would be worth more as housing, and the company made serious moves to keep itself from being broken up. It wasn't until 1984 that (the often fan-hated) Michael Eisner was brought in, who began a plan to increase prices so that the company would finally get the revenue that the public was willing to pay. Love Eisner or hate him, the reality is that he turned around Disney parks and invested a lot of money to make them better.
again...... not knocking price hikes,etc overall,I get that. What I said,I still believe though. I don't know about how much anything should cost to run, what I do know is the current state of too much money for too little payback stands for me. Maybe in a few years I'll think differently again,but by the time the overhaul is complete in all the parks/resorts, I'm guessing the prices are going to be likewise inflated. Since I think they're really inflated right now, I don't hold out a lot of hope for 5 years from now.

So what do we see as the tipping point? $200 for a one day/one park? I do like (and understand) the thinking that hoppers get decidedly cheaper the more days are added. Keeps people from splitting their stay between WDW and Universal.

Love these boards!!!
I needed to buy 4 passes for my DD sweet 16 trip in June. We have AP’s.

So happy we bought before increase!!!!
Even more happy I was able to purchase our DVC Premium Plus AP’s!!!
New AP price crazy.
I will sneak an october trip and next spring break from those puppies. I will borrow every point available to make that happen:-)
It seems Disney cannot out price itself.... especially with all of the expansion .
Kerri

All prices include tax.

I've done that same math for an upgrade to an AP from MYW tickets at both the 2017 6-day hopper and the 2018 6-day hopper. I'll report back!

again...... not knocking price hikes,etc overall,I get that. What I said,I still believe though. I don't know about how much anything should cost to run, what I do know is the current state of too much money for too little payback stands for me. Maybe in a few years I'll think differently again,but by the time the overhaul is complete in all the parks/resorts, I'm guessing the prices are going to be likewise inflated. Since I think they're really inflated right now, I don't hold out a lot of hope for 5 years from now.

This is a totally fair point of view. The entire effect of increasing ticket prices is that fewer consumers will think it is worth it, and causing consumers to pare back their number of visits or even to not visit. The effect is greater on return visitors, since they get diminishing value from frequent visits over time, even as prices increase.

The fact that you had been a loyal, longtime fan -- well I'd agree that's kind of sad to walk away from it. I tend to look at it from the economics side, but there's no good solution in economics for a fan. Disney's so crowded and the price increases (along with future expansion plans) aren't going to alleviate that anytime soon.

If anything, it will be more expensive and the crowds will probably still keep coming.

Unless the global economy sputters, which I don't think anyone wants just so they can enjoy a quiet theme park.

So true. We were able to see the Lion King Theatrical show last month. Cost was $312 for 2 tickets, and $15 to park. Oh - we also ate at a decent place and spent $70.
can someone explain to me this narrative of comparing other overpriced things to Disney in order to explain away the ridiculous price increases.....A ticket to a patriots game is $175 and $50 to park and a beer cost $15....Just like Disney, that is outrageous and out of reach of many

can someone explain to me this narrative of comparing other overpriced things to Disney in order to explain away the ridiculous price increases.....A ticket to a patriots game is $175 and $50 to park and a beer cost $15....Just like Disney, that is outrageous and out of reach of many

Category: Live Entertainment
Prices: Both are very high, therefore Disney is not particularly "unusual."

Exactly!
None of these other overpriced things automatically raise their prices every February either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!