New 350 room DVC tower coming to Disneyland Hotel

aoconnor

WDW Nut
Well, despite repeated claims that no more DVC units would ever be built at Disneyland due to restrictions with the Anaheim city government, Disney has filed plans for a 12-story, 350 room DVC tower at the Disneyland Hotel.

They say the design will blend in with the other towers. I am surprised at the scale-- today there are only 71 DVC units at Disneyland, so the inventory will be going up sixfold. Based on the insane resale prices for the Grand Californian, I'm sure they'll make a fortune.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/11/...-story-disney-vacation-club-time-share-tower/

Seems like a no-brainer, if it can get past the city planning/permitting side of things.

Hopefully they'll look into adding a non-DVC hotel sometime soon, too. I don't know what their rooms sell like, but a little more inventory would (hopefully) make it more affordable. Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier are both incredibly overpriced compared to their amenities.

“New DVC resorts are planned for the European Riviera in December and near Florida’s Magic Kingdom theme park at Walt Disney World in 2022.” <snip>

Laughed when I read this is the last paragraph. Lol OCR ...you’re so cute.

I’m no expert on the Disneyland property, but I’m waiting for the day that Disney makes a move to try acquiring more property. I know that there’s been opposition to it on the past, and that the city and Disney are kinda at odds, but money talks and if they offer enough money, I’m sure most properties would take the cash and run

I’m no expert on the Disneyland property, but I’m waiting for the day that Disney makes a move to try acquiring more property. I know that there’s been opposition to it on the past, and that the city and Disney are kinda at odds, but money talks and if they offer enough money, I’m sure most properties would take the cash and run
Disney actually owns several properties around Disneyland. Some they use as parking lots for guests or employees, and some are just vacant.

They do acquire land here and there for potential future projects. The last major one was the (now cancelled) Eastern Gateway project that ended after a battle with Anaheim.

Who knows what will happen in the future, but there has been a long standing idea that someday, probably far in the future, Disney will own enough land to create a third gate for the Disneyland resort, possibly on the current site of the Toy Story lot. But considering that they are currently making upgrades to the Toy Story lot, adding restrooms and security checkpoint, any chance of turning it into a third gate are probably far far far in the future at this point.

Disney actually owns several properties around Disneyland. Some they use as parking lots for guests or employees, and some are just vacant.

They do acquire land here and there for potential future projects. The last major one was the (now cancelled) Eastern Gateway project that ended after a battle with Anaheim.

Who knows what will happen in the future, but there has been a long standing idea that someday, probably far in the future, Disney will own enough land to create a third gate for the Disneyland resort, possibly on the current site of the Toy Story lot. But considering that they are currently making upgrades to the Toy Story lot, adding restrooms and security checkpoint, any chance of turning it into a third gate are probably far far far in the future at this point.
As great as it is that WDW has so much land, I find the Disneyland universal Orlando situations of trying to find places to put things way more fascinating. I wonder if Disney will start using some of their remote locations to put in new hotels and have shuttles like UO has, or if they’re looking to just keep everything in one area where it’s all connected

Former DLR Hotels CM here. Hotels on site were nearly always 90%+ occupied. Very rarely did it dip below that. DVC - always 100% occupied (unless room was out of order or something like that). Also, I remember hearing that the Toy Story Lot was not owned by Disney, but they leased it. Could be wrong on that one, though. DVC tower was always rumored when I worked there. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

Former DLR Hotels CM here. Hotels on site were nearly always 90%+ occupied. Very rarely did it dip below that. DVC - always 100% occupied (unless room was out of order or something like that). Also, I remember hearing that the Toy Story Lot was not owned by Disney, but they leased it. Could be wrong on that one, though. DVC tower was always rumored when I worked there. Hopefully it comes to fruition.

Disney does indeed own the land the Toy Story Lot occupies. Until relatively recently (late 2000s IIRC), It housed a large, working farm in which you could purchase fresh produce. Disney tried to acquire the property for decades, but wasn’t successful until the farmer passed on and his family decided to cash out.

Disney owns a ton of property in Anaheim, including parcels now occupied with strip malls, apartments, hotels (including the Candy Cane Inn) and office buildings. They continue to purchase property as it becomes available.

The Angels had been expected to leave Anaheim for years, but recently signed a 10-year agreement to stay put. That takes a large chuck of property off the table, and makes any future major land acquisition unlikely.

When I was a kid (early 1990s), Knott’s and Disney looked to build outside of Buena Park and Anaheim. Knott’s opened up a restaurant in Irvine (at Jeffrey/Alton, it’s now a CPK) and Disney was expected to do the same (restaurant/shop/“interactive experience”) in what became the Spectrum Center. Too bad those plans didn’t work out...

Aloha,
Personally I am against the DVC at DLH because of the lack of pool space. The pool area is currently very crowded during the summer and during any warm weather. Quite often in the afternoon all of the chairs are taken and deck space is very challenging to find. Any new hotel or DVC would require significant increase of pool(s) and deck space.

Aloha,
Personally I am against the DVC at DLH because of the lack of pool space. The pool area is currently very crowded during the summer and during any warm weather. Quite often in the afternoon all of the chairs are taken and deck space is very challenging to find. Any new hotel or DVC would require significant increase of pool(s) and deck space.
When they announced it at the DVC meeting they stated additional amenities would be added. I would expect a pool expansion or additional pool is what they mean by additional amenities. Though I suspect if a pool is added it would be smaller simply because of land issues.

Aloha,

Looking at the project site, there's ample room to build an additional pool. Of course, if Disney really wanted to spend the money, they could build an elaborate pool -- over twenty years ago, early renditions at the then-Pacific Hotel's pool showed a "new pool coming soon" that was to be located (along with other facilities) between the PH and DLH. Of course, they opted to remove the Maria and build the then-Neverland Pool instead - which was accessible to Pacific Hotel guests when we stayed there summer of 1999. The space between the two properties remains largely a parking lot.

Aloha,

Can’t they do another rooftop pool like Paradise Pier?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!