New 350 room hotel near Swan and Dolphin "The Swan Reserve”

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not unusual for a company to own multiple, competing hotel brands within the same metropolitan area. As long as key personnel at each property only have access to proprietary information about their individual hotel, hotel groups do not typically see that setup as a problem.

A 350-room hotel will require it's own full-time staff. That's especially true if this new hotel is positioned as a luxury property. As such, any staff overlap with the Walt Disney World Swan and/or Dolphin is largely irrelevant. If a guest has a problem at this new hotel, it won't go over well if she or he is told: "Sorry. You can't speak to a manager. She's working at the Dolphin today."

Regardless, even competing brands can still benefit from some consolidated services. The new hotel can still outsource their laundry services to Swan/Dolphin (provided they have that capacity). Other services like security, telephone operators, or valet could be outsourced, as well.

For example, one hotel I used to work had our own laundry facilities. Our main competitor was a Marriott that was quite literally about 120 feet away. They didn't have a laundry, so they contracted with us to handle their dry cleaning services.

Certainly, it's possible that the new hotel will fall under the Marriott/Starwood umbrella. But, if Tishman believes that financial benefits of selecting a competing brand far outweigh the convenience of staying within, I don't think they'd hesitate.

None of that is in dispute...I just don't think it makes sense for them to go that route.

Another issue that the hotel operators never have to deal with is what is here: another company will own the land forever and they have municipal authority/proprietary power over it in what amounts to a "special economic district"

That doesn't really exist anywhere else in the us except on native reservations.

I didn't have a car, but what the heck? Why are folks getting different outcomes?

I pretty much have lived in hotels since I got my MBA at 21, I hear ya! Did ya'll pay on points? I did. Is that the difference?

We did use points for our stay. The hotel was also mobbed with a convention group, honestly not sure how I even lucked into a last minute points room with how busy the property was. I just wanted easy access to food and wine, so it definitely served its purpose!

We did use points for our stay. The hotel was also mobbed with a convention group, honestly not sure how I even lucked into a last minute points room with how busy the property was. I just wanted easy access to food and wine, so it definitely served its purpose!

I love the location and that convertioners are usually super quiet since it's just 1 in room, etc. Glad you had a good time. I'm thinking I may have just plain old gotten lucky my last trip and I'll happily pay whatever bit of the resort fee I need to, since I'm usually staying for free, or on my mom or a friend's crazy teacher discount. If I'm getting a room for $100, I'm not using points!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: What's good for the stock market is not good for regular people. They've shown this time and time again. This time I'm going to profit off the bad decisions of the American people. Here's hoping I can get out before the whole thing comes crashing down. Then maybe I can afford one of those fancy Princess Rooms at POR, too!

So where do you suggest regular folks put their money? A balanced portfolio, including currencies, both real and fiat, is a pretty good deal. I literally have no idea where else I'd put my money. Under my mattress?

So where do you suggest regular folks put their money? A balanced portfolio, including currencies, both real and fiat, is a pretty good deal. I literally have no idea where else I'd put my money. Under my mattress?

Well, if truly worried about the market then gold can be a good place (though you may have included that in "currencies")

But agree a balance portfolio is best approach - including some foreign markets

I’m glad discussion is happening but if we could shift back to the topic of the thread that would be great. Not really sure how portfolios and the economy have much to do with this. Thanks!

I'm more talking about policy, (e.g. tax reform) rather than actual investment. I know you have a finance background so you know exactly what I mean. What drives the success of wall street and the stock market usually isn't consumer friendly policy.

I'm more talking about policy, (e.g. tax reform) rather than actual investment. I know you have a finance background so you know exactly what I mean. What drives the success of wall street and the stock market usually isn't consumer friendly policy.

That makes sense for sure then.

I’m glad discussion is happening but if we could shift back to the topic of the thread that would be great. Not really sure how portfolios and the economy have much to do with this. Thanks!

Actually, when overall wealth is growing, for instance in the Dow, etc. it directly effects consumer spending, most especially on fungible discretionary line items. When those same consumers are going to WDW more often, clammering for more desert parties, more park time, etc., it's only because the economy is flush. DIS is willing to expend cap X to keep those dollars rolling vs. losing clients to Uni, even for a night or 2. That's good stuff for us WDW lovers! When the economy is buoyant, we get more nice stuff:) But the proper portfolio vs. hard assets discussion is probably not that important.

Also, I almost licked my ipad with those SWL DLR picture posts earlier. Thank you!

Actually, when overall wealth is growing, for instance in the Dow, etc. it directly effects consumer spending, most especially on fungible discretionary line items. When those same consumers are going to WDW more often, clammering for more desert parties, more park time, etc., it's only because the economy is flush. DIS is willing to expend cap X to keep those dollars rolling vs. losing clients to Uni, even for a night or 2. That's good stuff for us WDW lovers! When the economy is buoyant, we get more nice stuff:) But the proper portfolio vs. hard assets discussion is probably not that important.

Also, I almost licked my ipad with those SWL DLR picture posts earlier. Thank you!
I think you found my issue :)

Actually I think this is directly tied to this possible expansion. If things were sinking badly-this would not be happening IMO.

Competition across town made resting on the laurels for too long very noticeable.

This isn't Disney though is it? Either way, still wouldn't be happening if we were in a downturn IMO.

This isn't Disney though is it? Either way, still wouldn't be happening if we were in a downturn IMO.

Smart companies do big capital expenditures on improvements during downturns to get it done at a lower cost and have it ready for when the economy recovers. What is happening now is the opposite.

Smart companies do big capital expenditures on improvements during downturns to get it done at a lower cost and have it ready for when the economy recovers. What is happening now is the opposite.

Maybe they (Marriott/Starwood or whoever) are just not smart then?

Interesting with Star Wars TSL GOTG Rat and Tron also.

Last edited:
I don't think people discussing portfolios and assets is necessary in this thread.

Disney is about money...so the jump can always be made.

Perhaps not entirely applicable on this one hotel...but shifting pricing and demographics will affect all things disney...and not too far away.

Maybe they (Marriott/Starwood or whoever) are just not smart then?

Interesting with Star Wars TSL GOTG Rat and Tron also.

Economy still not crazy booming and interest rates are still low so still good time to make capital improvements ... and if you anticipate increased interest with Star Wars Land, etc. can still make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter