New 350 room hotel near Swan and Dolphin "The Swan Reserve”

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not a capital improvement of a longtime asset. That is new construction.

I got you-I though you said"or". Economics are impacting this decision. As mentioned low interest being one, more money for some folks being another.

Last edited:
Economy still not crazy booming and interest rates are still low so still good time to make capital improvements ..and if you anticipate increased interest with Star Wars Land, etc. can still make sense.

Yep agreed AND at least some people have money to spend. That's why BWV at $100 is still a bargain as well IMO. Esp with STD points 7 to 11 months advantage.

Last edited:
Disney is about money...so the jump can always be made.

Perhaps not entirely applicable on this one hotel...but shifting pricing and demographics will affect all things disney...and not too far away.

Agreed-that was more the point.

I believe there is also a parking fee unlike the fully Disney properties

$20/night for Self-Parking and $30/night for Valet

To justify $200/nt for the Motel 6 experience at the values.

However, a motel 6 will not get you a pool in most cases.

I don't think I've stayed at a motel in Florida in many years, including Motel 6, that didn't have a pool. The only real exception would be if the pool was out of service for some reason.

It will not get you food on site. It will not get you food delivery on site. It will not get you basic transportation to your site. You are getting a basic place to sleep, but beyond that get services akin to basic corporate hotels.

The transportation is a Disney perk offered to all "resort" guests, so not really a "resort" offering. As for food, food on-site doesn't always seem to be exclusively relegated to a single price range of motel/hotel. I've seen Days Inns that made Motel 6 look good in comparison and had a Denny's or something similar on-site or within walking distance and hotels with only a bar/lounge on-site and limited food choices within walking distance. Room service holds minimal value for me, so I don't really consider that a perk, but YMMV.

The Disney Values when I stayed there had one big advantage (aside from the Disney perks and proximity to the parks) in that they seemed to be better maintained than a Motel 6 or most of the lower end Wyndham chains. I'd rather stay at a value than a Motel 6 all other things being equal, but they are not worth what Disney charges for them.

According to Orlando Theme Park News survey markers are in the area of where this hotel is supposed to be built.

I was at the Dolphin last week and one of those huge construction cranes was in the parking lot in front of the Dolphin. There definitely is going to be a tower over by there.

I was at the Dolphin last week and one of those huge construction cranes was in the parking lot in front of the Dolphin. There definitely is going to be a tower over by there.
That crane was for work on the existing buildings.

Well if that doesn't look like any generic office building, I don't know what does. The view of the Swan and Dolphin (in my mind) was always iconic and felt "Disney" (even though they weren't technically). Another hotel (aka competition) hopefully will do nothing but help rates. *shrug*
This will probably be more “luxury” based compared to the swan and Dolphin.

This will probably be more “luxury” based compared to the swan and Dolphin.

I just said in the other thread that I like boutique hotels as they are usually modern/upscale. Normally we would never stay off-site, but with the location, perhaps maybe? Especially if the price is better than Yacht/Beach. I'd have to see what the rooms would look like, then weigh options of no ME and I don't think you can get the dining plan...

Interesting! :)

Oh wait - you can't use Magic Bands for purchases!!! I LOVE my magic band...oh well, back to Yacht Club!

Well if that doesn't look like any generic office building, I don't know what does. The view of the Swan and Dolphin (in my mind) was always iconic and felt "Disney" (even though they weren't technically). Another hotel (aka competition) hopefully will do nothing but help rates. *shrug*
Yep-- that's about the least themed looking building I have ever seen...... I really hope they shut the door on this plan. Just what we need in our skyline from boardwalk / beach club......

I’m at a loss trying to figure how a “professional” architecture firm chooses the most frumpy angle to present a rendering like that.

Based on the site plan, the building has a more sleek form, but the world’s worst angle for that rendering makes it look like a massive, wide cube.

I’m at a loss trying to figure how a “professional” architecture firm chooses the most frumpy angle to present a rendering like that.

Based on the site plan, the building has a more sleek form, but the world’s worst angle for that rendering makes it look like a massive, wide cube.

At this point, I'm not sure it really matters. All the architects needed to do was to convince the company paying for the building. Chances are strong that things will get changed between now and when the hotel opens. Only a tiny number of potential guests are going to see this rendering. In fact, I bet most people won't even know this new hotel is coming.

I'll play Devil's Advocate. I used to work in a pedestrian and completely unremarkable looking hotel. We were the lower 17 floors of this high rise that could have been in any city across the globe:

plazaseven-exterior-350x450.jpg

Photo Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/twincit...0/pwc-minneapolis-tower-move-plaza-seven.html

Despite the yawn-inducing exterior, we did just fine because the public areas and guest rooms were thoughtfully designed and nicely appointed. If this new hotel can do something similar (and provide top-notch guest service), the exterior of the building won't matter. I'm sure the folk footing the bill for this building know that, as well.

That said, I agree that this new hotel isn't going to win any awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!