New ABC Fall Schedule Preview

Another Voice

Charter Member of The Element
The Los Angeles Times gave a “sneak preview” of the network line-ups that will be announced this week. The highlights for Disney-owned ABC include eight new shows and canceling stalwarts ‘Spin City’, ‘Dharma and Greg’ and dropping ‘Who What’s to be a Millionaire’ as a series. It’s expected that ABC will announce its intention to use ‘WWTBM’ as a specials, but rumors are circulating which say that may not happen.

“… ABC--whose ratings dropped more than 20% this season--is expected to overhaul its lineup with changes to every night except the Saturday movie. The revamped schedule, to be presented Tuesday, will probably leave "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" off (after the show occupied four hours in prime time just two seasons ago) while the network tries to reclaim its roots by offering family-oriented comedies at 8 p.m. across the week.

That could include moving "The Drew Carey Show" from Wednesdays to Monday nights, paired with the Carey-hosted improv show "Whose Line Is It Anyway?," creating an hour that would precede "Monday Night Football" in other time zones and follow it on the West Coast.

ABC's lineup was still in flux, but the network is expected to schedule at least eight new series and move several existing shows to different time periods, including the first-year sitcoms "According to Jim" and possibly "The George Lopez Show," which has been renewed. Two long-running ABC comedies, "Spin City" and "Dharma & Greg," have reportedly been canceled.

The network's strength once rested on family comedies such as "Roseanne" and "Home Improvement," and its roster of new shows clearly seeks to recapture that niche. It includes John Ritter as the protective father of teenage daughters in "Eight Simple Rules," comic Bonnie Hunt playing a talk-show host and mother in "Life With Bonnie," a "Bridget Jones's Diary"-esque sitcom about a plain secretary tentatively titled "Less Than Perfect," and "I've Got You," an interracial romance from writer John Ridley ("Three Kings"), starring Duane Martin and "ER's" Ming-Na.

Among ABC's new dramas are "That Was Then," about a 30-something man who travels back in time to high school; and "Push, Nevada," billed as an interactive mystery, with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck among its producers.

Notably, all six of those programs are produced by Walt Disney Co., which owns ABC and supplied 26 of the network's 30 new series candidates.”

As an aside, the pool around the office already has the Ben Affleck “mystery” series as the first to be cancelled. My guess is three episodes, long before Matt can move the Colonel Mustard token all the way to the Billiards Room.

I love Dharma and Greg! They better not cancel it. Every time I find a show that I love they either change it and make it real stupid or it gets cancelled! :mad:

Thanks for the post though!

You really think the mystery will be cancelled so quickly? That's the only one that seemed to offer something different and caught my interest at least. Oh well. :rolleyes:

John Ritter! LOL.. whose decision was that? Surely this is all one big joke. UPN has a fall line up better than this.

the thing that i hate MOST about abc is that they have no endurance - they will not spend the energy to promote a worthwhile show. if it doesn't have great ratings right off the bat, they toss it. Witness Wonderland, an amazing show that was cancelled after TWO SHOWINGS for low ratings - HELLO, they put it against ER, do you think it's gonna have great ratings right away?

One thing I have noticed with ABC is that their schedule always seems to be in flux. Over the past couple of years whenever we find a show we like on ABC they will change the night midway through the season. We then miss a couple of episodes and quit watching the show altogethor.

It used to be that Disney would come to the rescue of the careers of almost washed up actors (e.g. Bette Midler, Robin Williams) and re-launch their careers. Now they are going to a washed up actor (Ritter) hoping he can come to the rescue. So far this doesn't look good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter