New attraction in Adventureland

Not following. Copies of rides in other parks?

'Boy' oriented rides? I could see families with mostly boys being attracted to US. I have two of each and my oldest (DD7) is the princess of the house. Once my boys are older, we'll be spending more time away from Disney.

No one year old movies get rides...it has to be a longstanding thing first.

The only real true outlier was its tough to be a bug

Moana wouldn't get a ride...what If it's forgotten in 2 years?

I'm in a house where the sound track is played multiple times a week and the movie is watched at least monthly. It's not being forgotten here. And I'll have some disappointed kids in March if she's not meeting in the parks again.

And they have made some when it is immensely popular. See the new Frozen additions going into parks. It came out the end of 2013 and they had a ride put into EPCOT by summer 2016, with other stuff planne din other parks. When Lion King came out they had a show put in months after the movie came out in Magic Kingdom (granted this was probably fairly inexpensive and easy to repurpose if needed) and the Festival of the Lion King show a few years after.
All of these would have had to be put into development very shortly after the movies release to get constructed and opened in time, so they do use recent stuff if it's good enough. Also if they were basing it solely off thigns being longstanding and not forgotten/be classics I'd hesitate a little bit to put Tron into that category. The film is a cult classic but it's not highly revered and it's not a cash cow for them by any means. The sequel idn't bomb but was well below expectations which is why we have yet to see a Tron 3 yet. So if they are jstu waiting to see if a movie is well remembered and bankable I don't think Tron woudl have been their go to either. For this case i'd say it was more a matter of wanting something new for Shanghai and lightcycles was a good concept to use, and a big e-ticket thrill attraciton will draw crowds even if the movie wasn't a fan favorite. The success of it there made it an easy choice to then port over here. Plus having the plans and design already will make a cheaper/easier build than planning out an entirely new attraction for Moana.

I'm in a house where the sound track is played multiple times a week and the movie is watched at least monthly. It's not being forgotten here. And I'll have some disappointed kids in March if she's not meeting in the parks again.

And yet...even with that testimonial...moana is not getting a ride.

But I do hope you have your meet and greet available next year...that would be nice.

Last edited:
And they have made some when it is immensely popular. See the new Frozen additions going into parks. It came out the end of 2013 and they had a ride put into EPCOT by summer 2016, with other stuff planne din other parks. When Lion King came out they had a show put in months after the movie came out in Magic Kingdom (granted this was probably fairly inexpensive and easy to repurpose if needed) and the Festival of the Lion King show a few years after.
All of these would have had to be put into development very shortly after the movies release to get constructed and opened in time, so they do use recent stuff if it's good enough. Also if they were basing it solely off thigns being longstanding and not forgotten/be classics I'd hesitate a little bit to put Tron into that category. The film is a cult classic but it's not highly revered and it's not a cash cow for them by any means. The sequel idn't bomb but was well below expectations which is why we have yet to see a Tron 3 yet. So if they are jstu waiting to see if a movie is well remembered and bankable I don't think Tron woudl have been their go to either. For this case i'd say it was more a matter of wanting something new for Shanghai and lightcycles was a good concept to use, and a big e-ticket thrill attraciton will draw crowds even if the movie wasn't a fan favorite. The success of it there made it an easy choice to then port over here. Plus having the plans and design already will make a cheaper/easier build than planning out an entirely new attraction for Moana.

There's not gonna be a moana ride...this is silly to even consider.

They did attempt to jump on the frozen thing...but I'm not sure in retrospect even that is a good idea. Iger has been drunk off IP...

But moana wasn't a hit on that level...it wasn't even the hit of last year...though a solid performer.

Just look at what they build and how long after release that typically is...usually 20 years when they can slap a "classic" label on it...with some notable exceptions.

Here's a thought... Aside from the obvious benefit of adding a e-ticket to MK, what if TRON is going in to drum up interest for 3, to have the movie released shortly after opening? Movies take far less time than Disney ride construction, I'm sure they could have a script and director ready by 2020 to begin shooting.

Here's a thought... Aside from the obvious benefit of adding a e-ticket to MK, what if TRON is going in to drum up interest for 3, to have the movie released shortly after opening? Movies take far less time than Disney ride construction, I'm sure they could have a script and director ready by 2020 to begin shooting.

I don't believe they have any interest in another movie at this time...unless something has changed?

Legend of the lion king only opened about a month after the movie did

I believe I heard it was either TRON or the Moana volcano ride, and they chose TRON
I’m probably in the minority with this but I’m glad it’s Tron. I liked Moana, but not that much for an e ticket ride. Not that Tron is miles better of a movie, I just thought a Tron ride would be better, even if it just ends up being a copy from Shanghai

And if we go way back, Sleeping Beauty Castle was built before the movie came out

You mean when they mortgaged their entire bank account to open a park concept that didn't exist before and hoped it would work?

Think more "under the sea with Ariel"...a solid 20 years...
Midway mania 15...on the short end, carsland - which was again a very unique financial circumstance.

I'll say this: they could retheme the treehouse to moana...you know, if she lived in a treehouse...

Moana's jungle cruise? The magic carpets of moana? Moana's enchanted singing birds?

I’m probably in the minority with this but I’m glad it’s Tron. I liked Moana, but not that much for an e ticket ride. Not that Tron is miles better of a movie, I just thought a Tron ride would be better, even if it just ends up being a copy from Shanghai

My point is that this is a classic, false, "insider" internet rumor.

There was never legit discussion on a moana attraction...nothing about that makes sense right now.

They're dreamers...not stupid. Tron was already built, fits the need in a now decaying part of the park, is a cult kinda classic...blah, blah, blah...

You mean when they mortgaged their entire bank account to open a park concept that didn't exist before and hoped it would work?

Midway mania 15...on the short end, carsland - which was again a very unique financial circumstance.

I'll say this: they could retheme the treehouse to moana...you know, if she lived in a treehouse...

Moana's jungle cruise? The magic carpets of moana? Moana's enchanted singing birds?
Buzz opened not that long after toy story though if I’m not mistaken?

I agree with your overarching point but I’m a nitpicker :rolleyes:

Buzz opened not that long after toy story though if I’m not mistaken?

I agree with your overarching point but I’m a nitpicker :rolleyes:

Very nitpicking...but it's ok.

Buzz was - again - in a spot in need of a desperate update. I loved dream flight as much as the next guy, but they built the new tomorrowland around it 4 years earlier and for some reason didn't really touch it...

That's a different premise than "they were gonna build a new clone that adds a thrill element...or somehow shoehorn a new ride with no design/concept/investment on the other side of the park for a movie that...during the time these decisions were being made - minimum of six Months ago - was brand spanking New and featured a weird psychedelic crab singing sequence that made no sense..."

I love the rock as much as the next guy...but...um...

My point is that this is a classic, false, "insider" internet rumor.

There was never legit discussion on a moana attraction...nothing about that makes sense right now.

They're dreamers...not stupid. Tron was already built, fits the need in a now decaying part of the park, is a cult kinda classic...blah, blah, blah...

Rumor came from the touring plans podcast IIRC

Not to be too picky, because I agree with you on this one, but you picked the wrong Toy Story attraction. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin opened 11/3/98, just a hair under 3 years after Toy Story was released, 11/22/95. Between that and the travesty of FEA, 6/21/16 vs movie opening of 11/27/13, it's clear Disney will do an attraction inside of 3 years, but ONLY if there is a space needing serious renovation and the movie was an absolute runaway hit. Not something I would claim for Moana even though it is one of my recent favorites.

Regardless, if the attraction is opening 2.5-3 years after the movie, you know planning started around the 1 year mark, or about now for Moana... That being said, I just don't see it.

Not to be too picky, because I agree with you on this one, but you picked the wrong Toy Story attraction. Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin opened 11/3/98, just a hair under 3 years after Toy Story was released, 11/22/95. Between that and the travesty of FEA, 6/21/16 vs movie opening of 11/27/13, it's clear Disney will do an attraction inside of 3 years, but ONLY if there is a space needing serious renovation and the movie was an absolute runaway hit. Not something I would claim for Moana even though it is one of my recent favorites.

Regardless, if the attraction is opening 2.5-3 years after the movie, you know planning started around the 1 year mark, or about now for Moana... That being said, I just don't see it.

I know...I covered buzz...kinda a unique circumstance there...

There have been some exceptions...moana isn't gonna be one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!