New bib pick up procedures for rundisney races

I think this is a very smart policy. For Dopey week this year they had bib pick up every single morning in the information booth; you just didn't have time at the expo before hand.

WTHeck? This wasn't in place last week when registration opened! My friend and I booked based on the fact that I'd be able to pick up her packet for the Jingle Jungle 5K as she won't be landing until midnight the evening before. The pick up authorizations were ON THE WEBSITE LAST WEEK!

Oh boy, I don't agree. I'm local and all my running friends are in different states. I help out when I can. I'm not happy right now.

Not surprised. LA Marathon had this (didn't run it but was reading over final race instructions out of boredom yesterday) in place for the first time this year. I think it might not just be about bib resale but also about security. I mean they've been doing the security checks of bags of people coming into the races starting back as early as Wine and Dine (that I know of). Doesn't effect me since I've always been there at least the day before the race. But hopefully for those it does effect they start offering race day pickup otherwise people are going to have to start rearranging their plans.

It's not a bad policy. I think it should be implemented before you register though. Extra vacation day needed, extra hotel needed, flights... All that factors into running a race.

I'm another one who registered my family for the 5K in November assuming that I could pick up my husband's bib so he wouldn't miss work on Friday.
I was planning to run Dopey in January but since missing work/having the kids miss school is an issue and I can't rely on friends to grab my bib for me, I think I'll probably run Goofy instead and have my kids do the Mickey Mile on Friday or even Saturday after I finish the half. We'll save money on hotel and race registration, the kids will miss less school, and my husband and I can save vacation days. I wonder how long it'll take for this to impact registration (if at all).

Amanda

I am not surprised that they have decided to take this action because of all the people ignoring the rules about selling bibs.

The problem with same day pick up is that people will rely on it and then get upset because there is a massive line filled with other people who waited for same day pick up. Talk about race day stress. :worried: It is something that people should take into account before signing up for a race. I know other races that allow same day pick up charge extra for the convenience. I wonder if they will have to back off the requirement for Disneyland/Wine and Dine since it was posted after registration.

I like the change, the races sell out in hours and it drives me crazy that people are buying tickets that have no intention of running (simply to resell at a profit) while people dreaming of running the race and training for months are shut out.

I agree they should have started with races that people haven't already signed up for but it was needed.

I also can't imagine same day pickup, it's bad enough waking up at 4am for a race that starts at 5-6am, the last thing I'd want to do is have to wake up an extra hour or 2 early to pick up my bib.

Well this changes things for us. DS17 will be in college when Princess rolls around again. I was going to pick up his bib for him so he wouldn't miss class on Friday. He was going to fly in Friday night.

I hope they at least make the bib pick up hours longer for those flying in late. And have on site bib pick up at the start, it looked like there could be room for that.

I also can't imagine same day pickup, it's bad enough waking up at 4am for a race that starts at 5-6am, the last thing I'd want to do is have to wake up an extra hour or 2 early to pick up my bib.

I can't imagine my brother being super-happy to drive all the way from San Diego to Anaheim and back...twice... He's not a Disney person, he's doing this for me and to have the experience of running with someone (who is much much slower than him, poor guy), so he's not going to stay up there. He's already annoyed at the cost of the Disneyland Half (and this is not a guy hurting for money...it's the principle of the thing). Ugh.

Too bad they can't just give up a few bucks and encourage transfers like Marine Corps does.

So the Marine Corps marathon can do it but Disney can't. Ridiculous.

It's not a bad policy. I think it should be implemented before you register though. Extra vacation day needed, extra hotel needed, flights... All that factors into running a race.

I agree completely with this. It shouldn't be implemented until the next race that hasn't gone on sale yet.

I noticed this when I was looking up something for TofT.

Looks like it's a new policy starting with the Disneyland 1/2, since EEC still allows packet pick-up authorizations. Or according to the website it does.

Maybe it's because I've only raced in areas that are within a few hours drive of Boston, but the Disney policy on others being able to pick up bibs was the exception, not the norm. Even our local Color Run was saying only racers could get their own bibs, nobody else on their behalf. So I'm used to policies like this.

And I agree, it probably boils down to three things... Runner safety, event security, and insurance. People who race under other's bibs have the incorrect safety information attached to their bib. If they're injured or incapacitated, Disney doesn't begin to know who to notify. And tied to that, if anybody can pick up bibs with easily forged/duplicated information, the overall safety to other runners is diminished. That impacts event security, and makes it easier to camouflage the identity of people who'd be intent on causing issues.

And, you know, it could be the event's insurance provider that may require it. We had local races here, just little ones, and their insurance providers all suggested or required this change.

So... I don't know. I'm OK with this change. And I think it'll really cut down on those unauthorized bib transfers.

As far as the bib transfer issue... I'm also OK with not allowing that. These are already high-demand races. By giving people a way to buy them and resell them, these races will sell out much, much faster. I think that stopgap is needed. For those who are unable to race, they do have the deferment process, which I wish people relied on more.

My friend just got off the phone with a human at runDisney, who said that there will be day-of packet pickups. The websites have not been updated yet.

I am OK with it, as long as they make accommodations for late arrivals (which this human says they are doing). It's not something I've seen in other races around me--unlike the previous poster, we sent one person from our group to pick up our Color Run packets with signed waivers, not even copied ID (we did 2 of those races last year)--but I totally understand why they're doing it.

My friend just got off the phone with a human at runDisney, who said that there will be day-of packet pickups. The websites have not been updated yet.

I am OK with it, as long as they make accommodations for late arrivals (which this human says they are doing). It's not something I've seen in other races around me--unlike the previous poster, we sent one person from our group to pick up our Color Run packets with signed waivers, not even copied ID (we did 2 of those races last year)--but I totally understand why they're doing it.

That's going to make a really early morning for some ppl.
Stinks, but I understand why they're doing it.

So happy I can duck into WWoS after work the first day of the Expos.

I hope they update their website soon so that people will calm down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter