New bib pick up procedures for rundisney races

EEEEK. OK, now I take back what I said. Apparently, rD is contacting people by e-mail saying there will be NO race day packet pick up.

Who are these emails going to? People who emailed them about it? Or are they just randomly sending emails out? Also, do we have confirmation of any of these emails? I only ask because it seems odd that they would tell people who directly contacted them they would do a race day pick up only to tell others they wouldn't. Either there is some serious miscommunication happening at rD, or registered runners are saying the wrong information one way or another. I am not stressing about packet pick up but am tempted to email them now to see the response I get.

Who are these emails going to? People who emailed them about it? Or are they just randomly sending emails out? Also, do we have confirmation of any of these emails? I only ask because it seems odd that they would tell people who directly contacted them they would do a race day pick up only to tell others they wouldn't. Either there is some serious miscommunication happening at rD, or registered runners are saying the wrong information one way or another. I am not stressing about packet pick up but am tempted to email them now to see the response I get.

I saw a screenshot of one e-mail today. It was addressed to someone who had clearly asked about it. The email said there would be no race day pick up. It's just so bizarre considering they were telling a totally different story over the phone last week.

I saw a screenshot of one e-mail today. It was addressed to someone who had clearly asked about it. The email said there would be no race day pick up. It's just so bizarre considering they were telling a totally different story over the phone last week.

I agree. I just sent an email asking about race day pick up or any other solutions should I not be able to make the expo. We'll see what they say. But then, who knows if that is trustworthy. In the W&D thread, someone was told her Sports ticket was good 14 days after activation even past the expiration while another CM told her it wasn't. They need to make a statement on it on their site or their facebook page.

A friend called yesterday. Was told by a supervisor at rD that it's track shacks decision to make, not theirs. They want (rd) race day pick up but track shack is saying no. So- email, tweet, call track shack in Orlando!

I can understand being frustrated about a change that takes place AFTER you've already registered. I do think Disney should have started implementing this policy with races that have registrations yet to be opened.

Any race you haven't registered for is another story, though. That's when I think that if you don't like the way a company organizes their races, then you are free to find another race that better matches with your idea of how a race should be organized. It makes absolutely no sense to hear one complaint after another about anything you ("you" in general) aren't required to participate in. If I really didn't agree with a policy, then why would I go out of my way to financially support it?

But most everyone hasn't been complaining about it for future, not yet registered for, races. It's simple if you know it ahead of time. The complaints are specifically because of the retroactive change that we didn't agree to while giving them lots of money. I'm guessing that that isn't being understood by some.

Disney is doing a lot of things recently that rub people the wrong way. Since they are unique they can push people a long long way before some finally say enough.

I'm wishing that Universal would go into the race business, personally. See how they would do things.

But most everyone hasn't been complaining about it for future, not yet registered for, races. It's simple if you know it ahead of time. The complaints are specifically because of the retroactive change that we didn't agree to while giving them lots of money. I'm guessing that that isn't being understood by some.

Disney is doing a lot of things recently that rub people the wrong way. Since they are unique they can push people a long long way before some finally say enough.

I'm wishing that Universal would go into the race business, personally. See how they would do things.

I've seen complaints about the policy retroactively affecting races and just the policy in general. If they were only about about registered races, that is one thing (although I have to really wonder if the number of people complaining truly matches the number of people it affects...I seriously doubt Disney would make this kind of change it if actually affected the majority of their runners). Anything Disney does is likely to rub someone the wrong way. You can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time. So you're always going to see complaints about one thing or another. That doesn't necessarily mean the changes are a bad thing...just that someone is always going to find something to complain about. That's just life. What one person complains about, another may find just fine. This policy for example...I have no problem with it and I AM a person who already registered for a race it retroactively affects. The only real "complaint" I have is the miscommunication going out about race day pick up.

Universal going into the race business would be interesting, but I wonder how they could feasibly do it. They don't have nearly as much land as WDW, which means races would have to go off property. Obviously DL can do it, but then Anaheim isn't as big as Orlando, nor do they have the same tourist traffic which makes blocking off roads a few times a year for races easier to do since they aren't interrupting as much. It wouldn't surprise me if Universal is looking into it, considering the popularity of the Disney races. But I am just curious about all of the logistics of it.

I'm just going to apologize to y'all in advance. I picked up 9 bibs for 5 people this year + race retreat + cheer squad. I left the kids home and knocked out everything in an hour. We had packet pickup down to a science.

Sorry, my kids have meltdowns and don't enjoy the expo one bit They will scream, their ears will suddenly not function, and they will whine.

In the past, an adult would keep them company at the hotel room. everyone would have a nice calm and slow day. Crisis averted! we are on vacation after all!

These races are not boston. They are not. NYC. These races are for families. Well...at least they were. My only option to drag everyone to the expo? These continued changes make me sad.

I'm just going to apologize to y'all in advance. I picked up 9 bibs for 5 people this year + race retreat + cheer squad. I left the kids home and knocked out everything in an hour. We had packet pickup down to a science.

Sorry, my kids have meltdowns and don't enjoy the expo one bit They will scream, their ears will suddenly not function, and they will whine.

In the past, an adult would keep them company at the hotel room. everyone would have a nice calm and slow day. Crisis averted! we are on vacation after all!

These races are not boston. They are not. NYC. These races are for families. Well...at least they were. My only option to drag everyone to the expo? These continued changes make me sad.

No, you just have to have one adult who is not running, like a baby sitter, stay with the kids now.

Universal going into the race business would be interesting, but I wonder how they could feasibly do it. They don't have nearly as much land as WDW, which means races would have to go off property. Obviously DL can do it, but then Anaheim isn't as big as Orlando, nor do they have the same tourist traffic which makes blocking off roads a few times a year for races easier to do since they aren't interrupting as much. It wouldn't surprise me if Universal is looking into it, considering the popularity of the Disney races. But I am just curious about all of the logistics of it.

Closing any of the roads around Universal would be craziness, for sure.
They could do it doing Horror Nights, and call it the Universal I-Fear marathon, and close I-4 for a few hours. Probably about the only time I-4 would be safe.

Course, only some regulars and locals would get the I-Fear joke.

Depending on who and when you ask, you may be able to pick up your race bib the day of an event. It sounds like reps are confirming this via the phone and denying it via e-mail. Sometime between now and the end of the first event for the Disneyland 1/2 there should be a straight answer.

Depending on who and when you ask, you may be able to pick up your race bib the day of an event. It sounds like reps are confirming this via the phone and denying it via e-mail. Sometime between now and the end of the first event for the Disneyland 1/2 there should be a straight answer.

I think the issue is between TrackShack and runDisney, not just phone or e-mail.

But do you really think that terrorists (or whoever intends to cause havoc a a race) cares that these races "are for families?" The people murdered at Boston were women and a child. People have been speculating that Disney is a terrorist target for years so I don't think the fact that something is "for families" should make them take security less seriously.

I suspect runDisney priced any hypothetical terrorists out of race registration a long time ago. The security canard is just taking advantage of the Boston boogeyman.

I suspect runDisney priced any hypothetical terrorists out of race registration a long time ago. The security canard is just taking advantage of the Boston boogeyman.

Agree. This is not about security. Maybe it's about safety. I could be persuaded there however...

It's very much so about profit and bad pr. There were so many complaints/attempts re: selling bibs that Disney took action. Now they need to come up with a real solution. Not this garbage.

There's a 5k at Universal here in Orlando. It's called the Dick Batchelor Run for the Children 5k. I don't think it's really a Universal race but it runs through some of the park and City Walk

There's a 5k at Universal here in Orlando. It's called the Dick Batchelor Run for the Children 5k. I don't think it's really a Universal race but it runs through some of the park and City Walk

A 5K seems reasonable. Anything along the scopes of runDisney where half marathons and a full are added seem considerably more difficult to me. I am just not sure they could feasibly compete with Disney in that regard.

I think a half marathon at Universal is very feasible,obviously they would have to go off property but there are plenty of roads surrounding Universal that could deal with being closed until 10am on a Sunday morning.Maybe go up and down either Universal blvd, International Drive or Turkey lake rd,there's smaller roads they could use but I think most people would prefer to run in the tourist corridor.It would be similar to the half at Disneyland where the race would go through both parks but exit into the city.I would be signing up the first day they open registration.A full would be too much,but a half would be perfect,maybe hold it the first week of Mardi Gras and theme it around that,kinda like kicking off the event.Universal's Mardi Gras Half Marathon 2015!!If it happens I want credit for suggesting it.

I think a half marathon at Universal is very feasible,obviously they would have to go off property but there are plenty of roads surrounding Universal that could deal with being closed until 10am on a Sunday morning.Maybe go up and down either Universal blvd, International Drive or Turkey lake rd,there's smaller roads they could use but I think most people would prefer to run in the tourist corridor.It would be similar to the half at Disneyland where the race would go through both parks but exit into the city.I would be signing up the first day they open registration.A full would be too much,but a half would be perfect,maybe hold it the first week of Mardi Gras and theme it around that,kinda like kicking off the event.Universal's Mardi Gras Half Marathon 2015!!If it happens I want credit for suggesting it.

Yes I brought up that DL does it, but I also pointed out that Anaheim is smaller than Orlando and has considerably less tourist traffic, so closing off roads for a race is much easier to do there. Their races also start very early in the morning (DL Half starts at 5:30am or something). Perhaps it is possible they could add a half, and as I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking into something like this, but I still believe there is no feasible way they could really compete with Disney when it comes to races. I highly doubt Orlando would be very fond of them closing off roads multiple times a year.

I just received a reply from runDisney. They neither confirmed nor denied a race day pick up, just gave a vague answer. Here is the email:

Mary,

Currently, we are urging our guests to do their best to make
accomodations to attend our expo event. If any other news or policies
form surrounding this policy we will be sure to update our website and
notify our guests.

Thank you,
runDisney
HH

I think one thing people are forgetting is that up until the last year or so races overall (not just rundisney) were not selling out and so when you were selling out only 50-80 even 90% of your course capacity things could be a tad lax in policy- now that you are selling out 100-105% capacity having hundreds of runners potentially corralled "wrong" due to resold bibs its a potential safety issue for EVERYONE on the course-

I think while everyone knows that Boston was not runner caused the analysis of it showed large holes in the safety and security of races in general-

With running events only getting more and more popular races are having to find ways to make it as fair,equitable and safe both for registration and race day as they can. As much as we would all love dis races to have thousands less on the course that isnt happening because that would make it that much harder to get a spot..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter