New bib pick up procedures for rundisney races

I think one thing people are forgetting is that up until the last year or so races overall (not just rundisney) were not selling out and so when you were selling out only 50-80 even 90% of your course capacity things could be a tad lax in policy- now that you are selling out 100-105% capacity having hundreds of runners potentially corralled "wrong" due to resold bibs its a potential safety issue for EVERYONE on the course-

I think while everyone knows that Boston was not runner caused the analysis of it showed large holes in the safety and security of races in general-

With running events only getting more and more popular races are having to find ways to make it as fair,equitable and safe both for registration and race day as they can. As much as we would all love dis races to have thousands less on the course that isnt happening because that would make it that much harder to get a spot..

The hitting capacity only recently issue may be the case for some races...but I do know that ever since I started looking at runDisney races a few years ago, every single race of theirs has sold out (and I can't imagine that only started as soon as *I* started tracking it). Now it did take longer for some of those races to sell out, but they did sell. So it definitely isn't an issue of them being lax over the last few years because of not filling up. They have definitely been full.

...now that you are selling out 100-105% capacity having hundreds of runners potentially corralled "wrong" due to resold bibs its a potential safety issue for EVERYONE on the course.

Aside from runners still being able to sell bibs, people can also still be corralled incorrectly due to people abusing the proof of time system. I've read stories of people searching race databases for runners with the same name to submit those times as their own, as well as stories of people having their faster friends and family run a race with their info. I like to think most people are honest about their accomplishments and abilities, but runDisney by its nature is going to attract more than their fair share of these individuals who recognize that such approaches provide more time for the photos they're really there to get.

These races are not boston. They are not. NYC. These races are for families. Well...at least they were. My only option to drag everyone to the expo? These continued changes make me sad.

I thought their initial focus was for all runners, not just ones with families. It was marketed as a unique, destination race for runners.

I received this email on Monday, in response to an email I'd sent last week, regarding the Jingle Jungle 5k.

Christi,

We will be offereing bib pick up the morning of the race at Animal
Kingdom. There she will be able to pick up her bib, but will have to
return to the Expo to pick up her shirt.

Thank you,
runDisney

I can see them not doing this for the half, because it starts so late at night that runners should theoretically be able to get to the Expo, as opposed to the 5k that starts hours before the Expo opens. But who knows. Like someone else said, we really won't know how it's going to work until the next event.

Initial might have been destination races for runners. But there is a huge push for families now. As evident by tink moving to Mother's Day.

Initial might have been destination races for runners. But there is a huge push for families now. As evident by tink moving to Mother's Day. Families mean money.

Initial might have been destination races for runners. But there is a huge push for families now. As evident by tink moving to Mother's Day.
I think the move to May may partly be for a "family push," but I think it is also partly due to them perhaps wanting to spread out the DL races more since Avengers will be in November. Between DL and WDW, there are several races that take places in a very short time period: W&D, Avengers, Marathon Weekend, Tink, PHM. The only thing between PHM and the DL Half is the EEC. So them moving Tink doesn't surprise me. I think May was a good choice with Mother's Day just because it is a women's themed race.

Overall, though, I do agree that the runDisney races are definitely focused more on families now than perhaps the initial focus of them being destination races for runners. Just the existence of kids races and the family fun runs should be indicative enough that they want EVERYONE there.

a very short time period: W&D, Avengers, Marathon Weekend, Tink, PHM.

And don't forget TOT before W&D...

Wow, they really are all right in a row. Labor Day DLR Half, early October TOT, early November W&D, a week later (this year at least) Avengers...take Christmas off and boom, WDW Marathon, etc etc.

mking624 said:
Between DL and WDW, there are several races that take places in a very short time period: W&D, Avengers, Marathon Weekend, Tink, PHM. The only thing between PHM and the DL Half is the EEC.

Rumors are that EEC will be suspended after this year due to the construction at AK for the Avatar land. If true then there would be an even bigger gap were Tink not to move.

Rumors are that EEC will be suspended after this year due to the construction at AK for the Avatar land. If true then there would be an even bigger gap were Tink not to move.

I have heard that rumor as well. The speculation is that if this happens it opens up the time frame to throw a Star Wars themed race in there around Star Wars weekends. This has been long rumored so it will be interesting to see if it comes to fruition.

But it was much easier for me to take my child out of school over the long MLK weekend (he only missed a half day), vs Mother's Day weekend at the end of the school year. We always find may to be very busy with concerts and shows and banquets and whatnot. If they kept tink in January i might run it every year, may, I'm out.

Ah I had not heard that, but I haven't kept up much with EEC. If that's true, it absolutely makes sense to move Tink.

And don't forget TOT before W&D...

Wow, they really are all right in a row. Labor Day DLR Half, early October TOT, early November W&D, a week later (this year at least) Avengers...take Christmas off and boom, WDW Marathon, etc etc.

Yep, with the exception of EEC, all the races are concentrated in the (late summer)fall/winter times. So moving races has less to do with a family push to me as much as it does the desire to start moving a race or two (and add races like the rumored Star Wars race) in order to spread them out.

I hear you figment. I think rd didn't quite think tink through.

But tink will still sell out. Just to locals not travelers.

Does anyone think they'll put a Star Wars themed race weekend at WDW late May-early June? Or maybe the weekend after Tink but before SSWs? Is it too hot in Orlando for this?

Does anyone think they'll put a Star Wars themed race weekend at WDW late May-early June? Or maybe the weekend after Tink but before SSWs? Is it too hot in Orlando for this?

I think may is too hot but I've heard 2 versions if wafts happening.

1- Star Wars in place of tink in jan at dl

2- first weekend Star Wars weekend in WDW.

I really hope they chose dl. WDW is way too hot to run in May. 10k ok. But a half would be tough.

I think may is too hot but I've heard 2 versions if wafts happening.

1- Star Wars in place of tink in jan at dl

2- first weekend Star Wars weekend in WDW.

I really hope they chose dl. WDW is way too hot to run in May. 10k ok. But a half would be tough.

Me, too! I really like the weather in January running at the Disneyland Resort.

Is there any talk of adding another marathon to the RunDisney collection? Ooh! A Star Wars Marathon at DL in January would be something else!!

I hear you figment. I think rd didn't quite think tink through.

But tink will still sell out. Just to locals not travelers.

I'm sure that just like all their races, there will be a mix of locals and travelers. Just because some people might find May more difficult to travel in doesn't mean all people do. In fact, May is much more doable for me than January when it comes to Tink, so I'm happy I'm able to take it into consideration now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter