new blog: Guest Assistance Cards Vs. FastPass+

It is actually rare that TSMM has a line in the accessible queue anymore at DCA and 9 times out of 10, you can ride as many times as you want in a row. Two is usually my limits, as my arm is sore after that, but they would let us go again if we wanted to.

When TSMM first opened, up through about a year and half later, the accessible queue was almost always filled. I would expect RSR to end up being the same way in the long run, but it may take a little more time to level off.

The more I think about it, the FP+ infrastructure could be utilized to fix these kinds of issues with GACs and actually provide equal access. It will probably take a bit to get it just right, but it is possible.
Toy Story at WDW does usually have a long wait when we have gone (we go to WDW twice a year for long trips in non busy times). Our experience is usually what blondietink described with a long wait at the accessible boarding area.
The line usually extends at least from the boarding area back to the first bend of the ramp and we have seen it extend back to about 10 feet from the start of the ramp. We have never been able to ride twice - there are always people waiting when we reach the end and I don't know of anyone who has been able to ride twice at WDW.

I obviously don't know why everyone is in the accessible line - some are obvious with wheelchairs, etc. some have no visible need, but could have issues with stairs. My guess is that some are just there because they have a GAC and could do the stairs, but are routed there or think they need to be there because of the GAC. Even though a GAC has specific stamps, it is still pretty general and non-specific about the needs of the specific guest it was issued to.

I agree that there are probably ways that Fastpass Plus could be used to equalize waits a bit more and improve the experience. An RFID equipped GAC would 'know' where it was and could have more specific information available about the guest's needs related to their disability and the best accommodations available at that time for that specific attraction.
I have not followed any updates at Disneyland, mostly because I don't think we will ever go there. But I fail to understand why, after having issues with access at HS's TSMM, would they ever build another ride with similar line issues (stairs? really?). I also don't know much about fire codes, etc, but I have always thought the the line snaking up and down the stairs at TSMM is a real hazard if there was an emergency situation.

My DS can walk for short periods of time, so for TSMM we get a regular FP and go back at the allotted time, go through the FP lane and before going up the stairs, a CM always tries to guide us over to the accessible line (DS's disability is very visable). We politely say no, he can walk up the stairs fine and continue on. We look at the accessible line (always huge) when boarding from the regular line, and inevitably by the time we get off the ride, the same people are still waiting in the accessible line. We did try the accessible line a few times, but it takes a very long time to load/unload people from it ... and the CM's really hustle!

So, I cannot for the life of me figure out why they designed a ride with similar issues at Disneyland. Just MHO.
The WDW and DL rides were designed and built at the same time and the DL one opened less than a month after the one at WDW, so they had no experience with back up in the accessible line at the time to DL ride was being built.

I understand why they did it - the stairs take guest over the extra piece of track that goes to the handicapped boarding area. The bad effect is that anyone who can't use the stairs for whatever reason is forced to use the accessible boarding area to avoid them.
The good effect is that guests with disabilities have extra time to board and there is time to do a change over of the ride car to make it wheelchair accessible.
That's why I asked. " I've" never known this to happen at DW,
We have had a 'come back' hand written Fastpass to different attractions at WDW a number of times. The last time was as recently as on our trip in October 2012, when there was a long line for guests traveling with wheelchairs and ECVs at Jungle Cruise. I know of other people who have had the same thing happen, which is why I say it is a possibility ( maybe not likely, but possible).
It can happen any time the number of guests with special needs (whether in whelchairs or not) is greater than the attraction can handle. This could happen because of space, staffing or reaching the number of guests who would need to be evacuated in an emergency.

We have also been asked to come back at attractions without Fastpass - such as Pirates, because they did not have enough staff to move DD's personal wheelchair from boarding to the unload area. So, yes, my family has experienced it.

Question about TSM at WDW. My son can do the stairs but we will have his Service Dog with us this trip. Can we do the stairs and let wheelchairs go where needed? I did not know if maybe they would split us up at the bottom. Instead of a party of 4, be two and hand off the dog like a swap. Just wondering how to make it easier for other ppl as well.

I predict that the long waits in all of the queues at RSR are more a product of novelty than anything else, and will die down the way they did at DCA's version of TSMM.

I think the main reason the waits haven't died down at DHS's TSMM is that there aren't a lot of other popular family rides in DHS, so absolutely everybody floods there.

Toy Story at WDW does usually have a long wait when we have gone (we go to WDW twice a year for long trips in non busy times). Our experience is usually what blondietink described with a long wait at the accessible boarding area.
The line usually extends at least from the boarding area back to the first bend of the ramp and we have seen it extend back to about 10 feet from the start of the ramp. We have never been able to ride twice - there are always people waiting when we reach the end and I don't know of anyone who has been able to ride twice at WDW.

No, it's not the norm, but Yes, I did get to ride twice in January. It was around the 21st. It wasn't busy that evening. So the CMs let us go twice. And I have seen the line empty or near empty there.
I'm going back in a little under a month. I guess I'll take some photos and post them to prove my statements since it seems that I'm not believable. :sad2:

No, it's not the norm, but Yes, I did get to ride twice in January. It was around the 21st. It wasn't busy that evening. So the CMs let us go twice. And I have seen the line empty or near empty there.
I'm going back in a little under a month. I guess I'll take some photos and post them to prove my statements since it seems that I'm not believable. :sad2:

I gave our experience, which matched another posters. No one said yours is not believable, just not commonly reported by other posters.

We have been to WDW eleven times. Bill uses a power wheelchair so we use the accessible ride vehice at TSMM. We have been able to stay on and continue to ride on 3 separate trips. It is not the norm, but it does happen.

There has been some nastiness in this thread recently, but hopefully we can all move on in a positive manner. Other than the recent posts, this thread has been a very good discussion. As long as that discussion continues in a positive direction, we will keep the thread open. Thanks

There has been some nastiness in this thread recently, but hopefully we can all move on in a positive manner. Other than the recent posts, this thread has been a very good discussion. As long as that discussion continues in a positive direction, we will keep the thread open. Thanks

Interesting thing about the written word. It can be interpreted diferently by different people. I haven't read anything that I would consider nasty, just different people with different experiences talking about them.

Interesting thing about the written word. It can be interpreted diferently by different people. I haven't read anything that I would consider nasty, just different people with different experiences talking about them.

Posts have been deleted.

First time on this board and I have a random question. In the past year my husband was diagnosed with a Charcot foot (diabetic disabilty) and will be using a handicapped sticker for the car along with a scooter. When we get to the parks, how do we get on the trams or is there a place to parks closer? We know the monorails will be no issue but are concerned about people waiting for us. Our daughter will also be coming with us and will have just had club foot surgery so she will not be able to walk far either and will probably need a stroller. I do not want to inconvenience anyone, just trying to take some stress away so they can have a magical time as we celebrate her 5th birthday and our Family Adoption Day! Thanks for any input!

First time on this board and I have a random question. In the past year my husband was diagnosed with a Charcot foot (diabetic disabilty) and will be using a handicapped sticker for the car along with a scooter. When we get to the parks, how do we get on the trams or is there a place to parks closer? We know the monorails will be no issue but are concerned about people waiting for us. Our daughter will also be coming with us and will have just had club foot surgery so she will not be able to walk far either and will probably need a stroller. I do not want to inconvenience anyone, just trying to take some stress away so they can have a magical time as we celebrate her 5th birthday and our Family Adoption Day! Thanks for any input!

You can't get on the trams with a skooter. With a the sticker on the car you may follow the blue lines for parking.

Happy 5th Birthday to your dd. Be sure to stop at guest services at the park to be able to use the stroller as wheelchair.

I thank God every time we go that we do not need a GAC. However, our very close friends do need one for their ds that struggles daily with autism. My son & he are close friends: I *know* they wouldn't be able to visit WDW without the GAC accomadations. I do not know how they are accomadated & it is not my business to know. I know how quickly his disease makes circumstances change & a hand written return in 2 hours would NOT work. He needs a more concrete response than that, not that he can't wait, but he needs to "see" that he is waiting for, say, space mountain, not we can come back later. I don't think there is a whole lot of "time" understanding.

This is my story...if not for the GAC we wold not be able to attend WDW. We did try for two visits not to get the GAC because we did not want the judgemental stares because my sons outward appearence is "normal" ... we delt with many meltdowns....waiting in line for an hour only to get one ride way from getting on and my ds having a complete meltdown , leaving the line, to have him calm down , then meltdown again when we had to start the process all over !

This past trip was our first experience with the GAC , it was like a first trip experience. We did not get FOTL access bit what we did get was an enjoyable vacation, my ds was so happy I actually teared up a few times. I hope they do not change the current way they handle the GAC, it made such a difference to my family.:grouphug:

I thank God every time we go that we do not need a GAC. However, our very close friends do need one for their ds that struggles daily with autism. My son & he are close friends: I *know* they wouldn't be able to visit WDW without the GAC accomadations. I do not know how they are accomadated & it is not my business to know. I know how quickly his disease makes circumstances change & a hand written return in 2 hours would NOT work. He needs a more concrete response than that, not that he can't wait, but he needs to "see" that he is waiting for, say, space mountain, not we can come back later. I don't think there is a whole lot of "time" understanding.

This is my story...if not for the GAC we wold not be able to attend WDW. We did try for two visits not to get the GAC because we did not want the judgemental stares because my sons outward appearence is "normal" ... we delt with many meltdowns....waiting in line for an hour only to get one ride way from getting on and my ds having a complete meltdown , leaving the line, to have him calm down , then meltdown again when we had to start the process all over !

This past trip was our first experience with the GAC , it was like a first trip experience. We did not get FOTL access bit what we did get was an enjoyable vacation, my ds was so happy I actually teared up a few times. I hope they do not change the current way they handle the GAC, it made such a difference to my family.:grouphug:

Stories like this is exactly what the GAC is meant to do. So glad you had a great trip!

As others have pointed out, a series of posts were deleted. They happened in quick succession, and the DIS only lets you know by email about the first post since your last visit to the site. This could be how you missed the whole exchange. Trust me, your day was brighter for having missed the drama. Luckily this thread overall has been a lot of good ideas, stories, and viewpoints. I hope that some of the people here will communicate this information to Disney corporate to include in their planning.

I can so relate with the Autism. My ds9 is autistic. I am currently working on a schedule for him for our trip next month. I am making a book telling him what park we are going to each day and where we are eating. I have to go as far as printing the menu for him so he doesn't stress when we go to order. If it weren't for the GAC pass I know we would never be able to go. I am so grateful for it. I am also grateful for those of you that understand.

I can so relate with the Autism. My ds9 is autistic. I am currently working on a schedule for him for our trip next month. I am making a book telling him what park we are going to each day and where we are eating. I have to go as far as printing the menu for him so he doesn't stress when we go to order. If it weren't for the GAC pass I know we would never be able to go. I am so grateful for it. I am also grateful for those of you that understand.

I know exactly how you feel...now if only they had something like this for meet and greets ! The GAC is a game changer for families with kids with ASD.

I know exactly how you feel...now if only they had something like this for meet and greets ! The GAC is a game changer for families with kids with ASD.

The only problem with that is the characters can only stay out for so long. So they have a good idea of when to cut the line off, but then people show up with a GAC that allows them to (for lack of a better word) cut the line...well what about those at the end of the line? They are now not going to get to see that character because the character CANNOT stay out past a certain point!
I understand what you are saying, but it just isn't reasonably possible. Your best bet is have someone wait in line and then join them. :goodvibes

That's how we do it. Just stinks with all the dirty looks we get. It's really hard to live in a world with such harsh judgements.

The only problem with that is the characters can only stay out for so long. So they have a good idea of when to cut the line off, but then people show up with a GAC that allows them to (for lack of a better word) cut the line...well what about those at the end of the line? They are now not going to get to see that character because the character CANNOT stay out past a certain point!
I understand what you are saying, but it just isn't reasonably possible. Your best bet is have someone wait in line and then join them. :goodvibeses
That is a very good suggestion and gives the most predictable outcome for everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter