New Boards questions- NOTE DATE CHANGE

After we move there will be no app. The entire site will be responsive for mobile, so you will not have to download an app for a mobile experience. Just show up on whatever device and the site will respond accordingly. :thumbsup2
Now that sounds nice! :)

Sayhello

Is the upcoming change what's causing the DISboards to run so slow in the last 2 days?

When I click to open a thread (on any of the boards) it's taking up to a minute to open some of them.

I thought it was just my internet!! I blame it on the phone company who buried all the lines without any protection. Soon as we drop to 30 degrees, my internet speed drops.

:cheer2: Overall, it sounds like the new system will be better. I'm ok with having to choose a new avatar. I love Tigger, but so do so many of my DisFriends.

Thank you for all your hard work!

I'm glad our personal avatars are moving over. Scottie made mine, and it means a lot to me.

After we move there will be no app. The entire site will be responsive for mobile, so you will not have to download an app for a mobile experience. Just show up on whatever device and the site will respond accordingly. :thumbsup2

So, just go thru safari, for example, to get to the boards?

At this point it appears they will The URL's will go to the corresponding thread on the new boards, that's been tested and works great Search- they tell me it's fast and accurate but it's not working yet so we shall see
and RSS feeds--will they still be available (same or different URL)?

User Titles: I know, you love your colorful text that blinks and shoots fireworks off the screen, but that's going to change. You will be limited to the amount of text characters you can include. The Tag Ferry is going to hate this but I'll try to work on something new for her/him. ;)

This might sound like we are ruining your world, in some ways, but think of it as moving to a bigger and better house. Usually, not all your current furniture will fit the style you are going for. ;)

More to come....

I'm looking forward to all the changes -- especially the mobile improvements -- thank you! :flower3:

Am I reading your post correctly that we may be losing the colors in our hard earned tags but they will be migrating, too?

Thanks for all you do for our wonderful disboards.com community! :thanks:

Will external links from other sites to existing DISboards threads & specific posts still work - or at least be automatically redirected to the new URLs? I think half of the Disney-related internet has links pointing back to DIS threads, and it'd be a major issue if they all suddenly broke overnight (not to mention wrecking your visitor stats). [Edit: Sorry, I just read page 3, looks like that's been tested already]

One other thing, just want to make sure that the new format has fluid page-width options, I hate forums with fixed-width page layouts (with a passion!).

Andre

Will external links from other sites to existing DISboards threads & specific posts still work - or at least be automatically redirected to the new URLs? I think half of the Disney-related internet has links pointing back to DIS threads, and it'd be a major issue if they all suddenly broke overnight (not to mention wrecking your visitor stats). [Edit: Sorry, I just read page 3, looks like that's been tested already]

One other thing, just want to make sure that the new format has fluid page-width options, I hate forums with fixed-width page layouts (with a passion!).

Andre

Links will work and it's a "responsive design" that automatically adjusts for the device you are using

Links will work and it's a "responsive design" that automatically adjusts for the device you are using

Sounds perfect, looking forward to it. Let me know if you need any more beta testers before you port the whole system over.

Andre

Any chance of getting screenshots or something prior to the move? So we have an idea what to expect? :thumbsup2

Sayhello
XenForo's Community forum is a good indication of the look and feel of their latest software:
https://xenforo.com/community/

Note: XenForo is a splinter cell of vBulletin (some of their original founders/developers), after vBulletin was acquired, if you are interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

IMO forums are all dinosaurs, which will eventually be replaced by the next big thing, but good to see some forums (at least one of the largest, if not the largest) migrating off 15 year old technology :surfweb:

One thing I really like about XenForo is the ability to seamlessly Control-V paste photos from your local clipboard into message posts, makes it so much easier for non-techy people to add pictures to posts.

Andre

As you may have seen in the announcements we are moving to new boards! I will post some more details here and please feel free to ask any questions

Please note I have changed the date in the announcement, it will be THIS weekend 2/1!

thanks for the update.
now i have to replan this coming sunday without the dis

As you may have seen in the announcements we are moving to new boards! I will post some more details here and please feel free to ask any questions

Please note I have changed the date in the announcement, it will be THIS weekend 2/1!

Ugh.....so now my plans to haunt Disboards while "the game" is happening won't work. Sigh. Being a sports widow is such a difficult life. :(

Is the upcoming change what's causing the DISboards to run so slow in the last 2 days?

When I click to open a thread (on any of the boards) it's taking up to a minute to open some of them.

In general, most of what causes the pages to load slowly is the amount of data on them. For each animated smiley, or moving tag, or picture, or countdown timer in a signature, that adds to how long it takes the page to render. (There is a basic load time, and then each additional element takes longer)

And if you have 2 pictures that are exactly the same size, but 1 is animated and 1 is not, the animated one will take longer to load.

I hope we can still disable signatures. They take up way too much space and I find them irritating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!