New - Child with SID

littlesuitcase said:
I forgot to ask about the GAC - where do you get this? I thought I had to bring some kind of paperwork but some threads suggest you do not. Maybe it was the old way but I am pretty sure I read that I have to get this at each park we visit - is this true?
To request a GAC, go to Guest Services in any park with your child. You need to be able to explain your needs/problems to the CM. You don't need a lot of complicated medical terms (the CMs are just regular people, with no particular medical information backround). You also don't need documentation, although some people feel better asking for a GAC if they have something that explains their need. What is not helpful is a doctor's letter full of medical jargon or a prescription that says "Let Little Timmy get on the rides without waiting."
The GAC that you get in one park is valid in all parks (though I have been told that you need to go to Guest Services in the water parks if you need a GAC at the water parks). The GAC is usually issued to be good for your entire length of stay for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability).
And if I understand this - I only use it if necessary - when the fastpast is not available or there is a long wait (more than 15 min) .
They used to give a little GAC 101/ Basic GAC Etiquette talk when they gave out the GAC. I don't think they do that anymore, but the main points were:
  • The GAC is meant to provide accomidation necessary for someone to be able to ride, not immediate access or better access than the general public without special needs.
  • If fastpass is available and you are able to use it, you should use it as much as possible/practical. (Always look at what the standby wait is too. We have been on attractions where the CM by the fastpass machine was basically begging people to get in the regular line because it was very short, but people were so "into" fastpass being the only way to do it that they were getting fastpasses for 2 hours in the future and then standing there trying to figure out what to do in their 2 hours).
  • The GAC is issued to the person with a disability and is for their use (can only use it for rides/attractions the person the GAC is issued to will be going on).
  • If the wait in the standby(regular) line is 15 minutes or less, use the stand by line. (Keep in mind that the signs that tell what the wait is are counting the wait from the point where the sign is. So if the line says 15 minutes, but everyone in line is way farther into the ride than the sign, then your wait will be less than 15 minutes. If the line extends outside the ride way past the line, the wait will be much more than 15 minutes). The CM at the ride entrance can answer questions for you about how long the wait will be.
  • Exactly how the GAC is handled may not be exactly the same on every attraction, or even on the same attraction at different times. Something they call "operational considerations" might make a difference in how the GAC is used. "Operational Considerations" include things like how much staffing they have at the time, how many cars are operating at the time and how many other special needs people are already on the ride/in the waiting areas (there are fire safety/evacuation rules about how many special needs people can be inside a ride at one time).
  • Even though you are using a GAC, there may be additional wait time (over and above what someone waiting in the regualr line would wait) if a special spot or special car is needed (For example, we have gotten to Little Mermaid to use our fastpass and all the wheelchair seats were already taken, so we had to wait for the next show).
  • Even though the GAC is "valid" for up to 6 people, there may be times when you are asked to split into smaller groups (for example, if the waiting or seating area is small, there may not be room for your whole group there).
  • If the standby line has a long wait, you may be asked to come back later (more "operational considerations").
We are there feb 5-12 - this is part of the slow season - can we expect not to see huge crouds or is it always busy at disney?
There is always a general level of people at WDW, but we have pictures from all the parks that we took during "slow" seasons where there is not even one person visible in our pictures.
DH and I went in July by ourselves (July is definately busy season) and DH took my older DD, neice and nephew to MK in March (right at the height of Spring break). By going early in the morning, we were able to go on everything with hardly any wait at all. The parks start getting busier after 10:30 or so. If you get there before that, you can go on many things without waiting at all.
Also, some of the things that are a long wait around the middle of the day, may have minimal wait later in the day. A prime example of this is Spaceship Earth at Epcot. Because it is the first thing people see when they go into the park, a lot of people get right in line. So, the lines early in the day may be 1 hour. If you wait until mid-afternoon, you can often walk right on.

And for Suzy, the CMs say the WDW strollers can hold up to a small 12 year old (I have seen some pretty big kids in them, but I haven't actually seen any adults yet - I will have to keep my eyes out).

SueM - You should have seen DH39. He looked quite comfy sleeping in one (upper body in the stroller and from his knees down on the ground). It was a sight to be seen!!!! He didn''t even hide the stroller out fo the way, he was right out on a main walk way (in front of the Aladdin Carpet ride). I would have been so embarrassed. But he is very outgoing and different then me. He must have slept at least 30 minutes. He can fall asleep anywhere anytime.
We can't wait to go back. The sooner the better.

Helen, about applying for a GAC, I am very timid and easily flustered. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get across the info. I wanted to tell the CM . Plus I had DD7 with me and I really didn't want her to hear what I had to say about her. So I typed up a letter explaining what I wanted to say to the cm and asked her to read it. At first she said, just tell me the situation (in a very polite way). I asked her if she didn't mind, could she read the note so I didn't have to speak about the issues in front of DD7. She read the note and then gave us the GAC. I also had in my backpack, tons of documentation from therapists/doctors but she didn't ask for it. I have read a lot that medical documentation is not required. Which makes sense I guess. Take two kids with the same diagnoses. One of those kids may be able to handle situations that the other may not be able to.

I hope you have a magical holiday. I can't wait to start planning our next trip. But DH INSISTS that we go to Mexico first. I really can't complain. I just feel so blessed that we were able to go once already.

fwiw - the handicapped entrance does avoid that bit of the ride...

I agree with above, don't overdo. It's difficult to realize that everyone will actually be happier if you leave the parks and go back and rest. Or swim or go to DTD or.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter