First time, need some info.

jennyjones78

Earning My Ears
I am ready to book a Disney cruise and I am wondering if I should go through a local travel agent or through Disney? Or are there other options I don't know about? It is going to be our first family vacation, just myself and my two sons. Any information would be most helpful!!

My sons and I are ready to book our first family vacation with Disney Cruise Line. I would like to know the best way to book. Travel agent or go straight to Disney web site to book? If going through a travel agent is best who would you recommend?

Go TA. It's not like a resort reservation. Even though you cannot modify your reservation, you can still book port activities online and even call DCL with questions.

Benefit is on board credits or gift cards. Depending on the cruise and TA, it can be $50-$500. You would still get whatever special DCL has on top.

For example, we booked our first cruise 3 night via AAA. We got the current $25 OBC for online booking (the TA booked it online), and $50 OBC forusing our DRV. We also get a $75 visa gift card and $100 photo credit.

Many here use dreams unlimited. When I booked however they did not have any OBC for a 3 night cruise.

Recommend AGAINST using Disney directly, have found their prices ALWAYS higher than individual/other travel agents. Which doesn't particularly make sense; you would think Disney directly would be cheaper as you're eliminating the "middle man" of an extra travel agent. In addition, external travel agents frequently offer special benefits such as onboard credit, free hotel room before/after cruise, discount shore excursions, etc. For example, I recently booked a cruise online with Travelocity and received $250 onboard credit and 15% off shore excursions. I also received a free upgrade to a balcony that was a special offered by Disney but unavailable to me from Disney by the time I was able to book (I was however still able to get the free upgrade through Travelocity). Small World Travel and Dreams Unlimited specialize in Disney. Expedia and Travelocity are mainly online, mega travel agents with agents available by phone.

I might add that we have cruised many times, that I am clear on what I want, where I want it, etc and have few questions, so I am comfortable with Travelocity. If I do have a problem/question, they have agents availabl-to-onee by phone, otherwise it's all online. It might work better, as a first timer, to go with Small World or Dreams Unlimited. They specialize in Disney, primarily work one to one by phone, and usually have about the same onboard credit offers.

It depends... I checked for my 3night in nov, and Travelocity currently only has 15% discount on excursions. Zero OBC. Dreams unlimited has $100 plus the Disney offers ($25 online and $50 Disney visa)

I am ready to book a Disney cruise and I am wondering if I should go through a local travel agent or through Disney? Or are there other options I don't know about? It is going to be our first family vacation, just myself and my two sons. Any information would be most helpful!!

This is our first time cruising with Disney and we originally booked through Disney. WE had to cancel because of school conflicts. We are now sailing in March and booked that cruise through Dreams Unlimited. Dan has been the best to answer all my questions and get us the very best deal possible. He is the best, and I highly recommend him and Dreams Unlimited!:thumbsup2

Recommend AGAINST using Disney directly, have found their prices ALWAYS higher than individual/other travel agents. Which doesn't particularly make sense; you would think Disney directly would be cheaper as you're eliminating the "middle man" of an extra travel agent. In addition, external travel agents frequently offer special benefits such as onboard credit, free hotel room before/after cruise, discount shore excursions, etc. For example, I recently booked a cruise online with Travelocity and received $250 onboard credit and 15% off shore excursions. I also received a free upgrade to a balcony that was a special offered by Disney but unavailable to me from Disney by the time I was able to book (I was however still able to get the free upgrade through Travelocity). Small World Travel and Dreams Unlimited specialize in Disney. Expedia and Travelocity are mainly online, mega travel agents with agents available by phone.

The cruise cost will be the same no matter who you book with; either DCL directly or a TA. DCL does not allow TA's to discount the cruise cost. Some TA's will give tokens of appreciation for booking thru them; could be an OBC, a stateroom gift, or a cash card when you return home.
When researching cruise costs, you have to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples and make sure that all taxes and fees are being shown to get the 'real' total cost of the cruise. Many online travel companies do not show the total cost therefore making their charge to you appear lower, but when you get to the final stage of booking you will see the costs are the same.

Thanks so much for all the info! I contacted Small world vacations and we are going to use them. We are booked for our first cruise in May 2, 2012! I'm so excited!!!!

I booked my cruise directly thru Disney as I am using a military rate. Can TA's get that same rate for me? I stopped by my local AAA agent and was shocked at what they told me, "The Fantasy hasn't sailed yet". The price they quoted did not reflect the current Veranda special. She said she saild on the Magic's Inaguaral sailing in 2002. So I am sorta leary of using a TA. I did point out to her that the Fantasy sailed her inaguaral cruise in March of this year, the Magic set sail for the first time in 1998, witht the Wonder following in 1999. No wonder they had a help wanted sign out for travel agents.

I have used Karen with Small World Vacation to book a WDW trip before and LOVED her!
We used Dreams Unlimited for our upcoming cruise because of the on board credit.

Have a great time!:goodvibes

The rate of the cruise will be the same whether you book directly thru DCL or use a TA. A TA can get you any special rate that DCL offers--military, FL res, kids free, or any other special that might be available for your cruise.

My personal experience with "local" TAs is that they haven't known what they were talking about (sorry!) Most had not been to the training that Disney provides, none had been on the ships! I feel those issues are critical. There are lots of good agents out there who DO know what they are talking about--why should I use someone who can only read a computer screen and tell me what it says? I can do that on my own. Your mileage may vary--your local people may be great.

I would advise using a TA who has actually been on the class of ship that you are considering AND has been to Disney training. In addition to good info and service, many give an onboard credit or other "thanks for booking with us" gift.

If you book through a TA, can you still book your own reservations for a cabana or Palo and Remy?

If this is your first time you need to check statuses on your legal documents first, especially if you are single parent traveling.

Thanks! Sorry to hijack, lol. I wanted to use a TA for the onboard credits but still make my own reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter