New DDP rules for 2018

perhaps you're not sensitive to it...it disturbs me, so i notice it..
most of the violence i've witnessed in the parks was perpetrated by drunks....

I am actually very sensitive to it, as is my DH. We both grew up with family members who are alcoholics.

i'll give you the two scariest incidents we more than witnessed, we were really very close to the action...

the first incident was at the haunted mansion..
we were standing in line.....we were under the awning part when we heard a lot of noise coming from behind us...
what was clearly a large and very loud group....
behaving very wildly...
they literally plowed through the line...
they were really really big guys....in their young 20's maybe? i'm not good with ages...
but really big, really loud, powerful looking...
everyone moved out of the way as fast as we could...
they were mowing people down as they moved through....
as they got to the door, disney security came through right after them..
i would say there were at least 20 security people, maybe even 30...
it was a huge group of security.....and all plain clothes...
our assumption was they'd been following the group on camera getting ready to take them down if they did anything...
which they did at the haunted mansion...
they took them all away...
it was amazing....
initially extremely frightening, but then really pretty awe inspiring...

the second incident that was equally if not more frightening..
we were standing in line for living with the land...
we were behind a spanish speaking family...
i think they may have been south american, i wasn't really paying attention other than they were a family with kids...
well behaved, nothing out of line..
all of a sudden, the group of men that was standing in front of them (so only that family was between those men and us)..
this group of very big men, turned around and started beating up this family...
it was clear that they were beating them up because they were hispanic (based on the vile things that were coming out of their mouths as they beat them)...
it was pretty terrifying as there was really nothing we could do...those guys were so huge relative to us...and so much stronger...and so angry and clearly had been drinking...
in this case, it took a while longer for disney security to show, but i dont' think it was more than a minute (though it seemed like an eternity to us)..
but again, disney security came in massive force to take these guys down..
and again, they were all plain clothes..

I the first incident, Disney security should of stopped them when the entered the park, there is very little alcohol at MK, most likely did not drink in that park.

We have witnessed extraordinarily bad behaviours from completely sober guests multiple times including pushing and stepping in feet. There was not alcohol involved

They are both horriffic stories! :(

I am glad the security guys are there. On the face of it at bag check, they seem to be mostly calm older gents. But I assume some of these plain clothes people are a bit more hands on!

the men/women at the front are mostly old retired police/military..
but the security that we saw in those two incidents were all young...well...i can't say if they were in their 20's or 30's or maybe even 40's, but they weren't those old retirees from the front...
these were real security....all in excellent physical condition....ready to fight hand to hand...
and since they were all plain clothes, i doubt i would have noticed them if not for seeing them in action..
they looked like regular guys....though in good shape...but there are lots of guests who are in good shape....
but i would think they hang out behind the scenes and only come out when something happens...

I the first incident, Disney security should of stopped them when the entered the park, there is very little alcohol at MK, most likely did not drink in that park.

We have witnessed extraordinarily bad behaviours from completely sober guests multiple times including pushing and stepping in feet. There was not alcohol involved

disney has to be very careful about summarily barring a group from entering the park..
disney could be sued for discrimination among other possibilities for preventing a group from entering the park before they've done anything wrong...
but clearly, by the speed that security showed up, they had been watching them on camera waiting for something to happen..

I absolutely hated Epcot last trip on the wk ends, we stayed at beach club for ease of walking to epcot for food and wine, however the amount of rude drunk people was awful.

I will say I'm looking forward to the addition of this to the ddp however as it's not just alcohol but none alcoholic special drinks, I love a cocktail with my meal but don't drink any other time,
And my kids live the special drinks, so it would save me buying those lol.
I don't think one drink with dinner will make more drunks, as I find the drunk ones are the ones getting it from kiosks,

Disney are releasing the US 2018 packages on 20 June so we should see official clarification then as that is when they put out the first version of the official brochure for the following year.

Just had a letter from WDW confirming they are doing alcoholic drinks on the meal plan.

I'm hopeful that one drink won't create a park of drunken thugs!

I got my letter today too. I'm more interested in the 'artisanal milkshakes' and what other specialty non-alcoholic drinks might be included. A good way for the kids to have something special.

Just had a letter from WDW confirming they are doing alcoholic drinks on the meal plan.

I'm hopeful that one drink won't create a park of drunken thugs!
Got mine too. I don't think it will make it any different than it already is

it will definitely produce more drunks in the parks.

each person is still entitled to only one drink, but now that drink can be beer, wine, specialty alcoholic drink, or a cocktail (gin and tonic etc).

so let's say a person goes into a restaurant with his wife and two kids.

The kids and wife decide they want bottomless cokes, rather than one specialty drink.

as we all know, a coke is much cheaper to pay for out of pocket than an alcoholic drink.

So mom, junior and sis all order cokes our of pocket, while dad makes real use of that drinking credit by ordering 4 alcoholic drinks on the dining plan (his and mom's, junior's and sis')...

anyway, i do foresee some very boozed up people around the parks....add booze to heat and long lines and it's not a pretty picture....especially when involving belligerent drunks...

but then i always tend to expect the worst case scenario....

Would welcome this addition and don't think it would affect the number of drunks

Unfortunately in Epcot during f&w there were a lot of drunks but didn't see any trouble and our kids are too young to be aware. Did see one girl being thrown out by plain clothes security

So mom, junior and sis all order cokes our of pocket, while dad makes real use of that drinking credit by ordering 4 alcoholic drinks on the dining plan (his and mom's, junior's and sis')...

well unless junior and sis are both over 21, dad will only get 2 beers, not 4 (his and mom's) ;)

well unless junior and sis are both over 21, dad will only get 2 beers, not 4 (his and mom's) ;)

i'm not sure that's true......
i can order a dessert that's on your credit.
in fact i can sit there and eat four meals and make the rest of you starve....

the credits are fungible....

I'm surprised by this with current apparent cost cutting moves.
As previously said soda is the cheapest option so why potentially replace it with a more expensive drink.
Particularly as credits on QS have been changed to use a snack credit for previously included dessert.
I like nothing more than a cocktail at HOB watching the sunset, I've even been known to sip a marguerita whilst watching illuminations.
However, I see no reason for more alcohol options in the park, particularly MK, to me, it doesn't seem necessary and doesn't seem right.
Given the way some try to circumvent the rules I'm sure some will be having more than their one drink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!